Windows phone encryption

thinkinfinity

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Just a question for those who have tested Windows Phone 10 Beta or currently have a Windows Phone 10.

Is it now possible to encrypt the whole device, its apps and all the content (documents, photos, music, videos, etc...) on the phone on Windows Phone 10?
I don't see that feature on Windows Phone 8.1.

Microsoft kind of lags behind competitors (Android, Blackberry, iPhone) for phone encryption.
In 2015 encryption is cleary necessary to protect our phone and its content.

Without encryption, Windows Phone 10 is a no go for me.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Is it now possible to encrypt the whole device, its apps and all the content (documents, photos, music, videos, etc...) on the phone on Windows Phone 10?
I don't see that feature on Windows Phone 8.1.
Yes, it is available in Windows 10 Mobile. The feature is also in WP8, but is only activated when the phone sets a mail account with an Exchange server that enforces encryption.

In W10M, there's a regular settings page to turn it on at will. If your phone has a mail account with a server that's enforcing encryption, the settings page is available, but the toggle switch is disabled and a message appears in red that says "Some settings are managed by your organization." That's not the best message, but saying "Some settings are managed by the security policies of one or more of your email accounts or the mobile device management platform to which your phone is linked." might be a bit much. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss