To all you Canadians, are you willing to spend $960 on the 950XL?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just curious how many fellow Canadians are willing to shell out $850-960CAN after taxes on a new Lumia since no carriers will be offering it here. This of course eliminates the possibility of buying it for much less subsidized on a 2 yr plan.

Personally, I plan to sell my 1520 and pay the difference for the 950XL despite the high price tag. But I know a few people who quickly went from "Day 1 purchase!" to "Never mind. Maybe I'll grab one used a year down the road for less".

This is one of the reasons why WP will never gain marketshare in Canada. It will always be a niche product.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not dropping $960 for the 950XL but still considering the 950...the fact that our dollar sucks now compared to USD is not helping either..

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The USD price is totally reasonable. I wish Microsoft would offer the same price in CAD & USD. Really, I just wish that the dollar was still at parity. The Canadian price really hurts.

I got my Lumia 1520 in May for $425 Canadian, and even though the 950XL is a better spec device, it's not $500 better for my use.

Although, the 1520 was near $1000 on eBay when it came out, and is Canadians didn't have any option other than third party resellers. But our dollar was equal then, which helped.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The USD price is totally reasonable. I wish Microsoft would offer the same price in CAD & USD. Really, I just wish that the dollar was still at parity. The Canadian price really hurts.

I got my Lumia 1520 in May for $425 Canadian, and even though the 950XL is a better spec device, it's not $500 better for my use.

Although, the 1520 was near $1000 on eBay when it came out, and is Canadians didn't have any option other than third party resellers. But our dollar was equal then, which helped.
MSFT did price the 950/950XL the same for CAD and USD though.

Damn the 1520 was that much? I bought the 1520.3 brand new when it came out for $680CAD shipped.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just curious how many fellow Canadians are willing to shell out $850-960CAN after taxes on a new Lumia since no carriers will be offering it here. This of course eliminates the possibility of buying it for much less subsidized on a 2 yr plan.

Personally, I plan to sell my 1520 and pay the difference for the 950XL despite the high price tag. But I know a few people who quickly went from "Day 1 purchase!" to "Never mind. Maybe I'll grab one used a year down the road for less".

This is one of the reasons why WP will never gain marketshare in Canada. It will always be a niche product.

The price is actually $849 and yes I will buy one.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I am Canadian but live in Germany, but I would not pay that. I just can't afford it my L640 will just have to do.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I had my chance to tinker with the 950's today as well at my local flagship store (Toronto, Eaton Centre). The way they had the phones displayed was actually quite unattractive. The USB-C was in the base of the stand but coming out about an inch out of the stand meaning the phone couldn't rest flush with the stand. So they all sat there flopped over and looking beaten. The XL was the first device I went to. Esthetically it was not that attractive. Mind you it was a black demo unit as written on the back so I assume the build quality wasn't as what it should be since the Microsoft logo on the back plate was missing one of it 4 pieces of the silver Windows logo. So again, after only being on display a few days it looked beaten and abused. If I came into the store knowing nothing about these devices, I'd take one look at that 950XL, then at the $849.99 (CAN) price tag and laugh my way out the store. On the other hand, the camera was quick and impressive. Front facing camera was also impressive. I have a white one preordered. Let's see how the retail model looks in hand.

aliencatos

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I was to get one with a 2 years contract but as there is no carrier offering the phone, I suppose I'LL get a Samsung S6 and see next year if that change...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos