Is Lumia 830 a good alternative to iPhone 6S? Resume-screens?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
From personal experience and one who owns an L830 (using it now), comparing it to my Ativ S and L1020, worst phone out of the bunch. In saying that, below is my likes/dislikes, your mileage may vary as many others have...

Pros:
1) 5" display size
2) Camera
3) OIS
4) Removable battery
6) 16GB onboard storage
5) Expandable storage
6) Wireless charging
7) Swappable rear covers
8) Appealing design (subjective)
9) Good call quality

Cons:
1) Capacitive button issue
2) Poor screen sensitivity w/protector
3) Battery/charging issues
4) Distorted notification sounds while charging
5) Overly sensitive camera button
6) Mid to low specs (cpu/screen)
7) On occasion somewhat laggy/sluggish
8) Top mounted USB charge port
9) Overall "fluidity" seems to be lost
10) 1GB memory
11) Connection issues w/wifi when range is sketchy, set to "use mobile data"

Take your pick...

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Cons:

Take your pick...

I'm also using an L830 (not the ATT version) and I can not confirm 2, 3, 4 or 5. I've always used a screen protector but I can't recall the device ever failing to instantly pick up touch interactions. I'd say screen sensitivity is pretty much perfect.

In regard to 6 I'd say screen resolution is perfectly adequate for the display's size. In normal use there is no visible pixilation. However, when viewed from even slight angles, the screen's brightness and color accuracy quickly degrades so as to become almost comical. When viewed straight on the display is just fine. A good and solid mid-range display IMHO.

I'd agree with the everything else, with issue 1 being the most serious. Whether a top mounted USB port is good or bad is a matter of personal preference. I'd also prefer it on the bottom.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
wth! No, the lumia 830 isn't worthy. Wait for the flagships man. They literally have no loading/resuming screens on any of the hands on.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm also using an L830 (not the ATT version) and I can not confirm 2, 3, 4 or 5. I've always used a screen protector but I can't recall the device ever failing to instantly pick up touch interactions. I'd say screen sensitivity is pretty much perfect.

Mine is Canadian born and on Telus...

I've used screen protectors (top quality) too for years and never once was there an issue until I got the L830, through all my reads many have encountered similar issues with this handset, not necessarily did each encounter them all. As mentioned, the overall fluidity just isn't there and kind of makes it a chore rather than joy to use, have 26 days left on warranty and contemplating sending it in but afraid the end results may be worse, won't know if we don't try I suppose... Yep I'm a procrastinator LOL.

Not sure how I forgot this one hehehe, I'm having connection issues when wifi availability is sketchy even though I have it set to "use mobile data", seems to be getting worse as of late, works fine within range.

Last edited:

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
From personal experience and one who owns an L830 (using it now), comparing it to my Ativ S and L1020, worst phone out of the bunch. In saying that, below is my likes/dislikes, your mileage may vary as many others have...

Pros:
1) 5" display size
2) Camera
3) OIS
4) Removable battery
6) 16GB onboard storage
5) Expandable storage
6) Wireless charging
7) Swappable rear covers
8) Appealing design (subjective)
9) Good call quality

Cons:
10) 1GB memory
11) Connection issues w/wifi when range is sketchy, set to "use mobile data"

Take your pick...

The battery and the SOC pissed me off the most. 100% charged started depleting fast omg at least my 640 cab hold a charge.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine is Canadian born and on Telus...

I've used screen protectors (top quality) too for years and never once was there an issue until I got the L830, through all my reads many have encountered similar issues with this handset, not necessarily did each encounter them all. As mentioned, the overall fluidity just isn't there and kind of makes it a chore rather than joy to use, have 26 days left on warranty and contemplating sending it in but afraid the end results may be worse, won't know if we don't try I suppose... Yep I'm a procrastinator LOL.

Not sure how I forgot this one hehehe, I'm having connection issues when wifi availability is sketchy even though I have it set to "use mobile data", seems to be getting worse as of late, works fine within range.

Fair enough. I spend almost zero time in the L830 forum (no issues myself beyond #1), so I'm not caught up on problems others may have beyond the ATT Denim debacle (which never affected me either).

I'm not sure what you mean with "fluidity". What the device can't do is load apps quickly. Everything else is certainly usable, and considering the OP's intended usage I'd say he'd have no issues at all. If you think the OP won't be happy with the fluidity of the L830, then he won't be happy with the L640 either though. That's the comparison the OP is asking for. Both of those devices perform identically.

Getting a high end device (any high end device including the iPhone), sounds ridiculous to me. For what the OP intends to do with it, that's just throwing money out the window. For the OP, the only legitimate reason to get an iPhone would be apps, nothing else.

The OP does want a good camera however. IMHO that's the L830's strong suit. In terms of bang for your buck at $140 I'd still say it's a good buy. Obviously that is only true if you're not affected by the issues you've mentioned.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nice spot. Where is this?

That was our hotel on Santorini. The entire island is just the rim of a volcanic crater (hence the steep cliffs) in the southern Aegean Sea. The white trim atop the cliffs on the horizon are buildings, all built right atop the cliff's edge.

That picture was taken here.

The Island is too touristy for my tastes, but it definitely has its beautiful moments:

20150522_060833_dmc-FS15.jpg
sunrise from our hotel room (no photo editing)

20150522_200315_l720.jpg
sunset from a caf? on the northern tip of the island (no photo editing)

Sorry for going off topic.

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Have been using my 830 since April and its a good phone. The camera (on WP8.1, denim) its more than decent. I'm using it with four email accounts, browsing, Office apps (read only Excel, I don't have 365), lotsa music files. No games except small quick ones, like 2048. Don't watch movies on small screen cos my eye sight ain't what it used too be.

I'm heavy on Telegram/whatsapp These does sap the battery.

The camera shines on the 830. Having full manual control means I get good macro shots in lowlight where iPhones/Androids users wont even dare to try.

Two misgivings'.. It was too pricey when I bought this "affordable flagship."
The other is the design. My Orange phone is a killer on looks/design. I keep mine protected in a transparent jelly backjacket. It does take a lot of abuse. But I just found out the aluminum chassis is bent. It's very noticeable the middle on left side and the screen is detached about a millimeter. Will be sending it for checking as it is still under warrantee. In the meantime, the 950/XL looks very tempting

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean with "fluidity".

It is in regards to the phone’s screen/capacitive button(s) sensitivity, having to swipe or tap multiple times to invoke a reaction which can disrupt one’s intended actions, the smooth flow transitioning no longer exists (I liken the flow to water hence, fluidity).

Now that we have made out my phone to be a complete lemon I should clarify, although it has many idiosyncrasies it does hold its own for the most part with none of the problems being to the extreme, its shortcoming really become apparent though after using my other two WPs.

What the device can't do is load apps quickly. Everything else is certainly usable, and considering the OP's intended usage I'd say he'd have no issues at all. If you think the OP won't be happy with the fluidity of the L830, then he won't be happy with the L640 either though. That's the comparison the OP is asking for. Both of those devices perform identically.

Oh I think the phone for the OPs intended use is a very capable device, I was just pointing out my experiences with it, in no way did I intend to insinuate every L830 is complete garbage (came out that way I guess), it keeps drawing me back so something must be right… I’m pretty much convinced some of us got the Monday or Friday models LOL,

Getting a high end device (any high end device including the iPhone), sounds ridiculous to me. For what the OP intends to do with it, that's just throwing money out the window. For the OP, the only legitimate reason to get an iPhone would be apps, nothing else.

Agreed

The OP does want a good camera however. IMHO that's the L830's strong suit. In terms of bang for your buck at $140 I'd still say it's a good buy. Obviously that is only true if you're not affected by the issues you've mentioned.

Yep camera is definitely good and at $140, it is a steal compare to what it would cost me here in Canada. Like I said, a Mon/Fri phone it could have been, many have stated they’ve had little to no issue so who knows.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
It is in regards to the phone?s screen/capacitive button(s) sensitivity, having to swipe or tap multiple times to invoke a reaction which can disrupt one?s intended actions, the smooth flow transitioning no longer exists (I liken the flow to water hence, fluidity).

Now that we have made out my phone to be a complete lemon I should clarify, although it has many idiosyncrasies it does hold its own for the most part with none of the problems being to the extreme, its shortcoming really become apparent though after using my other two WPs.

Oh I think the phone for the OPs intended use is a very capable device, I was just pointing out my experiences with it, in no way did I intend to insinuate every L830 is complete garbage (came out that way I guess), it keeps drawing me back so something must be right? I?m pretty much convinced some of us got the Monday or Friday models LOL,

Agreed

Yep camera is definitely good and at $140, it is a steal compare to what it would cost me here in Canada. Like I said, a Mon/Fri phone it could have been, many have stated they?ve had little to no issue so who knows.

I'm on my 4th model. 3 from the same store, 1 from an AT&T store about 500 miles away a month later.

I refuse to believe I just got unlucky. The 830 has horrible design & build quality. By far the worst Nokia I've even heard of, much less owned.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my 4th model. 3 from the same store, 1 from an AT&T store about 500 miles away a month later.

I refuse to believe I just got unlucky. The 830 has horrible design & build quality. By far the worst Nokia I've even heard of, much less owned.

Oh I hear and verify what you are saying, read many a posts of others complaining of the same thing, multiple replacements only to end up with same results, do think Nokia missed the boat on this one and suppose I faired better.

In saying the above...

Have never exchanged mine, yet, although I should I'm skeptical of the outcome ("couldn't find anything you say"), as in my last post it is not a complete fail so more than likely will continue to use, to really get the gist of what I have said previously a "hands-on" would be required. Design is its strong suit for me as is build quality (fit-n-finish), absolutely no complaint there other than location of charging/USB port, got use to it now and when using Qi charger the problem disappears.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Funny. I had an ATT version for awhile, and none of the issues cited above. I have a screen protector, and I have no issues with touch or capacitive buttons.

After using it a bit, I swapped over to an unlocked 985 version, because I didn't want to wait on ATT to upgrade to Denim. I have no issues with that one either.

So, I have, if I count them all up, NONE of the issues cited above.

Outside of the 2 I have owned over the long term, I have had another 20 or so pass through the shop. I had one with a capacitive button issue.

The most common failure I've seen (on 2 or 3) is the earpiece speaker failure, which is easy to correct.

Had I paid $400 for it new, I'd probably feel like it wasn't there. However, for $140, it is a good buy.

L830

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Don't buy a Lumia 830!
-You'll spend a lot of time to explain to your i-friends why you didn't buy an i-phone.
-You will feel odd
-Your photos will be by far the best, but they'll say that aren't from i-phone
;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss