Is Lumia 830 a good alternative to iPhone 6S? Resume-screens?

jakja83

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I like going against the stream so I can cope without an iPhone, but they are very good. No discussion, but paying 1/3 monts wage is not something I want. Going against the stream is good, but I also have to feel like it is a wise choice as well. I don't want to save petty cash only to be irritated and feel as though I am missing out.

I have used L930 earlier but I felt the screen flickered a lot and it was kind of "fat" design-wise so the L830 is probably better with LCD + thinner body.

L640 also looks good and pics from it also looks more than good for its price.

I like having a cheap phone - it means I can avoid having insurance and I don't have to watch it as if it was my child.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The camera is gorgeous, the phone is probably one of the best looking phones and It definitely runs well. Windows 10 build does have some loading/resuming issues but that is the nature of the build. On windows 8.1 GDR2 it ran quite well. But the processor is still not the greatest on this puppy. I can for example play asphalt 8 with no lag but if I play minion rush there will be a bit of framerate drop that is noticeable. If you only care about general usage it is great. I took these with the Camera.

WP_20150716_003.jpg

WP_20150716_007.jpg

This one I added a slight blue tint. But you can even see the rain drops, quite a lot of detail.
WP_20150716_027.jpg

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It is in regards to the phone’s screen/capacitive button(s) sensitivity, having to swipe or tap multiple times to invoke a reaction which can disrupt one’s intended actions, the smooth flow transitioning no longer exists (I liken the flow to water hence, fluidity).

Now that we have made out my phone to be a complete lemon I should clarify, although it has many idiosyncrasies it does hold its own for the most part with none of the problems being to the extreme, its shortcoming really become apparent though after using my other two WPs.

Oh I think the phone for the OPs intended use is a very capable device, I was just pointing out my experiences with it, in no way did I intend to insinuate every L830 is complete garbage (came out that way I guess), it keeps drawing me back so something must be right… I’m pretty much convinced some of us got the Monday or Friday models LOL,

Agreed

Yep camera is definitely good and at $140, it is a steal compare to what it would cost me here in Canada. Like I said, a Mon/Fri phone it could have been, many have stated they’ve had little to no issue so who knows.

Which version do you have in terms of Hardware? I got mine from Fido and don't have any of the issues you mention on 8.1 GDR2. I do have issues on windows 10 build, but that's not a fair assessment. I have touch sensitivity set to normal as it defaults to High. I never have issues with reactions to taps or anything of that nature. Never used a screen protector as it's not needed. And I have dropped this puppy on concrete with gravel. I had to wipe the rocks off the screen and still no scratches.

Mine is the RM-985_1000
Chip Soc version: 8926

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
wow, OP from yesterday, 43 posts, I don't know anything about iPhones, but the comments about the L830 were foreseeable. There are many existing threads about the pros and cons of the L830 already. Paul's reply to your post already summarizes the most important points you asked.

My wife and I didn't have any issues with our L830 (no resuming) with the exception that I made the mistake buying them from ATT. Our L830 took great pictures as you can see from other posts.

Any comparison of the L830 on W10M will be meaningless unless it's final.

At $140 for an almost new L830 that is a great decision if you are on a tight budget. When you switch to the L830 you will certainly downgrade as the 6S is the superior phone.

Last edited:

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
The only good thing about Lumia 830 is it's the best affordable WP on the market right now. Beside that, i'm not recommended.

iPhone 6s and Lumia 830 aren't even on the same price tag so it not really comparable.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Lets be brutally honest. IPhone is still the best all rounder. But not all will buy the best.

That depends entirely on what your definition of "the best" is!

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, and you don't use your phone for more than the OP does, then the iPhone is probably the worst. At $140 the L830 would be very difficult to beat IMHO.

Again, all this assumes you're not getting the lemons others here are reporting, which I definitely haven't.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
OP, what apps do you use currently? Maybe we can help you find WP alternatives. This is likely to be your biggest issue in coming to WP.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Let me put it this way. The 830 is like a McLaren P1 with the engine of a Hyundai i10. Take my advice and stay away from it, if you buy it now you will regret getting it and not purchasing a newer phone when Win 10 mobile is available.
If you desperately need a WP right now, you can get a "mini" 640, then upgrade to the 850 or rumored surface phone later.
Oh yes, i almost forgot, you can also wait for the Acer Jade Primo, that phone looks pretty promising.

jakja83

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I use apps such as:

Netflix/HBO
Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Instagram
Local bank which I know has a basic app
Not much else....

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Which version do you have in terms of Hardware? I got mine from Fido and don't have any of the issues you mention on 8.1 GDR2. I do have issues on windows 10 build, but that's not a fair assessment. I have touch sensitivity set to normal as it defaults to High. I never have issues with reactions to taps or anything of that nature. Never used a screen protector as it's not needed. And I have dropped this puppy on concrete with gravel. I had to wipe the rocks off the screen and still no scratches.

Mine is the RM-985_1000
Chip Soc version: 8926

Mine is the Canadian model RM-985_1011/Chip SOC Ver. 8926 on Telus, running the Feb release of W8.10.14234.375 (latest available for me), had GDR2 once but since it wasn't officially released for us I lost it later in the game after a few hard resets and trying out W10M twice. The only thing ever resolved with my handset after an update was the sporadic reboots that occurred, mine was no where near as bad as some claimed theirs were yet it did happen (once a month maybe), all the other quirks pretty much remained from day one.

The sensitivity on mine is set to High otherwise it becomes even more unresponsive, like I said in one of my previous replies, you'd need hands-on to really get the gist of what I am saying, after sometime using it the issues (screen sesitivity/capacitive buttons) is very apparent, tolerable but can get very annoying on occasion.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Netflix, FBook, Messenger, WhatsApp all there as official apps. Snapchat has a 3rd party app as I dont think there is an official one. (Dont know the name, dont use snapchat) Instagram is there officially but we ALL here would recommend using the 3rd party app for instagram (6tag) which funny enough seems better than the android and iPhone official apps.

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok the L830 is a decent phone. Its snappy, good camera, and has all the features a flagship phone has. But you may have to compromise on apps. Netflix, Facebook, Messenger, Instagram/6tag. You are good to go. But there is No Snapchat or HBO app. Bank apps are few and far between.

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, the only problem 830 has is "Resuming". Other than that it will work for you, with an excellent shooter that is.

Also, with W10 build 1066, I am seeing no Resuming screens at all for most recently used apps, maybe W10 is on its way to fix
Resuming (looks like so).

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK and have a 5S (iOS 9) and 640XL (8.1), both bought new & outright, SIM free, unlocked. (The 640XL has, largely, the same specs I believe as the 830, but a bigger 13MP camera and 5MP front, bigger screen and bigger battery but lacks Qi charging.)

My use pattern is the same as yours - it's a work & communication tool, not an entertainment device, but the camera is very important and I dislike juddering scrolling and loading screens.

Since upgrading to iOS 9, my 5S has become hopeless - it may recover with future updates to correct whatever Apple didn't get right first time, but scrolling is terrible and lag is now common.

The 640XL has lag and screen loading delays, but on the whole I think it's a bit quicker all around, except for opening the camera and taking pictures. It's antennas/radios are slower than the 5S, which may slow you down if you use wi-fi much.

I also struggle to justify ?700 for a (64GB) 6S Plus (+ case on top) and then monthly contract on top again for a phone. BUT with Apple, using it does "just work" and I expect it'll manage two years with no faults just like the 5S has. Apple's app store also has the few apps available that I use.

I bought my 640XL from Argos for ?160, don't bother with a case because it's plastic, but do miss the better 5S earphones for phone calls where you can control the lot through the inline buttons on the cord. Window's app store lacks some of the apps I want to use. BUT, emails are instant on the phone whereas the 5S can have anything up to 5 mins delay (if that's important to you) and the 640XL is far better with Office - I can be ready to edit an Excel spreadsheet without effort on OneDrive with about 3 taps - the 5S is notably slower to open and also requires about 9 taps to get to the point of editing. For me this is a factor to consider.

If you are able to wait, I'd hold on to see what the 950/950XL offer as they will be 5/7th of the cost of the Apple phone, but more productive by all accounts...

NelsonF

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I am quite pleased with my L830 for the most part as a far as performance goes. It takes excellent daylight photos and quite impressive low light photos sans flash. Flash photos are hit or miss In my opinion. In terms of operating system, it handles most tasks with ease. I bet iPhone does it a bit faster with its more powerful cpu Not a big apps user but as far as battery life, wireless charging convenience, microsd card storage and phone call quality, I recommend. As others mentioned here, it's hard to directly compare with a phone that is more powerful and with an enormous apps catalogue. If you're an average user, should work for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb