Is Lumia 830 a good alternative to iPhone 6S? Resume-screens?

Karen LePage

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I love my 830. I've been using wp since PocketPC and I love this phone more than any I have ever had. It's a head-turner. My iPhone friends always ask me about it. It's really beautiful, and works well. I have had some "resuming" screens, but I'm in the insider fast ring, so I expect that as w10m gets sorted.

The dedicated camera hardware button alone is what has kept me from an iPhone at times between new windows phones. I use instagram for my business a lot, so what would I do if i had to touch the screen to take a picture with tiny hands like mine? I would drop the phone all the time.

My husband uses an HTC m8 but misses the hardware camera button, too. He also has a cheap nokia 635 just to use Here + Drive because it's our favorite nav. The price looks good. I say go for it!

Erjon Sotiri

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
i dont understand witch app is missing in wp store? I have used ios, android and now i only use WP from lumia 520, 720, 920, and currenty i own a lumia 930 with W10M i have all the apps i need.

Karen LePage

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
i dont understand witch app is missing in wp store? I have used ios, android and now i only use WP from lumia 520, 720, 920, and currenty i own a lumia 930 with W10M i have all the apps i need.

I want to stop taking my ipad mini into Starbucks. The app has never been available on WP (did someone in Redmond make the sb execs angry?)

Periscope

Freshbooks

I want a better podcast app. Currently have 3 different apps loaded because add by URL doesn't work well since Zune!

Amazon Instant Video

Outlook i just want to add unified inbox like on my iPad - everything else is better on WP with the most recent build.

How about some Adobe love? I use these apps on my ipad all the time and my work would be so much easier if I had access to Draw, Sketch, and Capture on my WP.

To name a few important to me...

NelsonF

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Good point about the screen sensitivity with 830. Forgot all about that, I guess I got used to it and forgot that this is a common occurrence with any type of screen protector on the 830. Still overall, as a day to day driver and not a hardcore user, It gets the job done.

bh5213

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Love my 830 as well. Hardly any issues with mine nor has my wife complained of any with her 830. But I do wish for an amazon instant video app and a target cartwheel app.

ebk333

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Dear Jakja83,

I hated Microsoft. I was on their PocketPC's when they came out and it was all money wasted. I am not a Microsoft fan at all. In fact, I'm an iPhone/Android developer so I have interest in these 2 markets.

But then - long story short, I discovered windows mobile. In fact, it was on a very old HTC 8x. It amazed me. The interface, the functionality, the speed. Wow... the speed was just phenomenal on this cheap, and old windows phone running OS 8.1.

In fact, this old HTC 8x was more responsive than the iPhone 5 and Android phones. Now, anyone would tell you that. Windows OS requires less powerful hardware than an android to perform the same way; but with Android, what no one realizes (as with iPhones) - is that with every update, there is way more sluggish behavior; yet you're stuck with the same phone.

With iPhone, what no one realizes is that you are buying into an ecosystem: its a phone that does everything for you: music, maps, photos - but no one stops to think: hang on a sec ducky; surely all these daily-life-as-usual activities require large storage space on the phone - which iphone does NOT give you. Not only that, if it did give it to you, its stuck with them. Go and find where your photos are stored on your iphone? Can you find them? Can you find them in your mac iTunes library??? No.

OK.. let's take a look at Android. This is pathetic. Google only made this OS so it could have a slice into the mobile adveritising market. That's it. It didn't think about how phones work and what sort of ergonomics a user needs to actually use it properly. They started off with a Linux kernel (good start) and then added a Java Layer in between. Why? To make app development easier. That's it. I know, I made one of the 1st Android apps.

They didn't think about performance, ergonomics etc. Go and find where your music is stored on an Android phone... I dare you. Its pathetic.

Forget how inexpensive your 830 Lumia Mobile phone is - ok? If it was more expensive than the iPhone 6, I'd have still got it.

Look at the iPhone's screen. Its only thanks to the 5 icons they let you add on the bottom of the screen that you can use it. the rest of your phone is filled with apps that you won't use, nor make any sense to you. With live tiles, the essentials are there. And whether you use an app or not, with Live Tiles, you get the essential information you need from them at a glance. So basically, all the apps you have are being used with an 830 - with an Iphone or Android, they are just taking up storage space.

There's a subject in Computer Science called Human Computer Interaction. Its the ergonomics of software. How do you make good software and easy or comfortable to use for an end user? There are basic laws that must be respected. The main is the number of manipulations to an end result. The lower the number, the better.

Obviously Apple are picking up on this with their 3D touch feature. Right? But Windows Mobile is already there.

Yes, when I studied HCI more than 15 years ago, we had windows 95 on desktops , and I couldn't help notice that they broke every rule in the book. It was stupid: you'd have to click on around 4 icons to reach a document you'd want. Naturally what were people doing? Adding documents to their desktops (this slowed down the way windows performed) - why were they doing that? Because it means by 1 click, I get into the app.

With windows 10, someone somewhere at Microsoft finally gave HCI some thought and just revamped it.

The same with Windows Mobile 8.1 and 10. You cannot compete with the User Interface. If I have to change 2 screens on my iphone to actually get to an application I want, then it becomes uncomfortable. With windows mobile, they've done it so that you can comfortably have all your applications visible on the same screen - and there's only TWO screens.

I'm so glad they've done this because I was beginning to think that what I had studied was stupid... where as, it seemed what MS had developed 15 years ago was stupid and it took them 20 years to actually put into practice what is now considered basic software ergonomics.

Jakja: if you have an 830 Lumia: you have the best phone now on the market. I'm not kidding you.

You can argue that Android phones come with higher specs.. etc.. but that's besides the point: they NEED to come with higher specs because the Andoid OS is so crap that unless you have 2 processors and 4 GB of ram, you won't be able to use the phone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Dear Jakja83,

I hated Microsoft. I was on their PocketPC's when they came out and it was all money wasted. I am not a Microsoft fan at all. In fact, I'm an iPhone/Android developer so I have interest in these 2 markets.

But then - long story short, I discovered windows mobile. In fact, it was on a very old HTC 8x. It amazed me. The interface, the functionality, the speed. Wow... the speed was just phenomenal on this cheap, and old windows phone running OS 8.1.

In fact, this old HTC 8x was more responsive than the iPhone 5 and Android phones. Now, anyone would tell you that. Windows OS requires less powerful hardware than an android to perform the same way; but with Android, what no one realizes (as with iPhones) - is that with every update, there is way more sluggish behavior; yet you're stuck with the same phone.

With iPhone, what no one realizes is that you are buying into an ecosystem: its a phone that does everything for you: music, maps, photos - but no one stops to think: hang on a sec ducky; surely all these daily-life-as-usual activities require large storage space on the phone - which iphone does NOT give you. Not only that, if it did give it to you, its stuck with them. Go and find where your photos are stored on your iphone? Can you find them? Can you find them in your mac iTunes library??? No.

OK.. let's take a look at Android. This is pathetic. Google only made this OS so it could have a slice into the mobile adveritising market. That's it. It didn't think about how phones work and what sort of ergonomics a user needs to actually use it properly. They started off with a Linux kernel (good start) and then added a Java Layer in between. Why? To make app development easier. That's it. I know, I made one of the 1st Android apps.

They didn't think about performance, ergonomics etc. Go and find where your music is stored on an Android phone... I dare you. Its pathetic.

Forget how inexpensive your 830 Lumia Mobile phone is - ok? If it was more expensive than the iPhone 6, I'd have still got it.

Look at the iPhone's screen. Its only thanks to the 5 icons they let you add on the bottom of the screen that you can use it. the rest of your phone is filled with apps that you won't use, nor make any sense to you. With live tiles, the essentials are there. And whether you use an app or not, with Live Tiles, you get the essential information you need from them at a glance. So basically, all the apps you have are being used with an 830 - with an Iphone or Android, they are just taking up storage space.

There's a subject in Computer Science called Human Computer Interaction. Its the ergonomics of software. How do you make good software and easy or comfortable to use for an end user? There are basic laws that must be respected. The main is the number of manipulations to an end result. The lower the number, the better.

Obviously Apple are picking up on this with their 3D touch feature. Right? But Windows Mobile is already there.

Yes, when I studied HCI more than 15 years ago, we had windows 95 on desktops , and I couldn't help notice that they broke every rule in the book. It was stupid: you'd have to click on around 4 icons to reach a document you'd want. Naturally what were people doing? Adding documents to their desktops (this slowed down the way windows performed) - why were they doing that? Because it means by 1 click, I get into the app.

With windows 10, someone somewhere at Microsoft finally gave HCI some thought and just revamped it.

The same with Windows Mobile 8.1 and 10. You cannot compete with the User Interface. If I have to change 2 screens on my iphone to actually get to an application I want, then it becomes uncomfortable. With windows mobile, they've done it so that you can comfortably have all your applications visible on the same screen - and there's only TWO screens.

I'm so glad they've done this because I was beginning to think that what I had studied was stupid... where as, it seemed what MS had developed 15 years ago was stupid and it took them 20 years to actually put into practice what is now considered basic software ergonomics.

Jakja: if you have an 830 Lumia: you have the best phone now on the market. I'm not kidding you.

You can argue that Android phones come with higher specs.. etc.. but that's besides the point: they NEED to come with higher specs because the Andoid OS is so crap that unless you have 2 processors and 4 GB of ram, you won't be able to use the phone.

Honest opinion, but it is really up to everyone to chose what fits best for them. I've been using WP since Lumia 920. But with the TP release of 10 I've said goodbye...I hate what MS did. Besides app situation, now the OS is also crappy.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The one thing you will notice when comparing the Lumia 830 to an iPhone 6s is how incredibly slow it is. Everything. Seems. To. Take. Forever. To. Looooooad... Even compared to my old iPhone 5 the Lumia 830 seemed dead slow. It was so bad that at one point my wife refused to use my phone anymore because it took forever to load a website, to start an app, or to get to my text messages. Given that the 6s is a beast when compared to the 5 or even 5s you will definitely notice a massive slowdown in pretty much everything. Is it worth US $900 difference to you? Only you can tell.

I'm curious now though, did you follow through with returning your 6s?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^^ agreed, ip5 is faster than my 730 as well. WP makes it purposely slow through animations( and irritating *resuming*, it sucks).. About internet browser, it's true- IE is very slow and painful.

Think the 6S has been added with faster ssd hence its better than the original ip6 model too, apart from the 2GB ram and the upgraded A9 processor.

Last edited:

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been a L830 user for a year and mine has held up to my personal usage. No device is perfect but I am fairly satisfied overall. Here's my experience:

++Positives++
- Glance Screen
- good visibility in direct sunlight
- FM radio (don't laugh, I've just spent several hellish months with no home wifi, no mobile data, no TV, etc. This was my "wireless")
- micro-SD card slot (for the same reason above)
- 5Ghz wifi-capable (also unexpectedly useful, great when the 2.4 Ghz band is crowded)
- no one I've passed my phone to has noticed that it has a 720p screen (one person actually complimented it.. or maybe he was just being polite)
- loudspeaker has excellent volume, call volume and clarity is also excellent
- decent battery life
- low light camera performance

--Negatives--
- weak vibration
- distorted colours when viewing the screen at extreme angles
- all attempts to use the phone with ordinary gloves failed (I'm Canadian)
- IE is extremely feature-limited. Tab management is a chore. Too bad the alternatives aren't as fast, smooth or stable.

I'm not much of a gamer, though I occasionally play things like Candy Crush. Many games run fine although load times are long. I do recall some more graphically-intensive games like Sonic Dash and Minion Rush having poor frame rates though.

janjak

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I returned the 6s, but was to slow to get the 830-deal. I then got the 640 and used if for some weeks, but I found myself feeling limited in so many areas that I got a new iPhone 5s which I am "rocking" now. Maybe back to the 6s is best choice, despite being awfully expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium