Do you think that a number of techno blogs are biased against the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The whole "Android lags so much more" hasn't been true for a couple of years IMO.
Android lags and you know it! People using Nexus have to make sure that they keep atleast 1 GB of RAM free for optimal performance. So they keep on checking task manager. Atleast you will agree that Windows speed is better than Android any day for the same specs. That's my point. Which people never highlight, they never give credit to Microsoft for transforming themselves from Vista to Windows 10. They never give credit to Nokia for improving their touch screen so much that you can touch it wearing gloves, or for making their display so wonderful(thanks to Clearblack tech) that a 480p Lumia screen shames a 720p Android device like Moto. Why are you people so scared of giving credits to products that deserve it? How will you feel if someone does that to you?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the real-world differences will matter to anyone, but I will say that the release schedule Microsoft is using (the fall one) isn't smart. They keep snatching up tech as it's getting replaced, and even if the real-world results aren't much, a customer can easily walk into a store, see that the competition has newer hardware (actually, it's a little tougher with Samsung's move to non-Qualcomm chips), and just buy the thing that's newer.
I really don't think these things matter to the vast (like 99%) of smartphone buyers. If you went around and asked 100 people which chip is in their phone they'd have no clue.

Microsoft had to release a phone now. They've been waiting for almost two years for a new high-end phone, and couldn't wait longer. They will have more phones coming, and maybe they will be on a different schedule, but right now this is what they had. Not much to do about it, and I think it's not significant at all for the success of the phone (no matter how you define that success).

For the tech blogs, I think they have overwhelmingly been rather positive about the phone, comparing it favorably to the Nexus that just came out. The chip version thing hasn't been mentioned much in the articles I've read (except for the detail about the liquid cooling) - if it's good enough for "Google", it's probably good enough seems to be the general consensus. If there is a bias, it's more about the realistic expectations one might have on the success of the W10M ecosystem, not about the phones themselves.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
If there is a bias, it's more about the realistic expectations one might have on the success of the W10M ecosystem, not about the phones themselves.
Some channels like boredatwork.com and others are practically mocking the Lumia 950 and xl. go and see their reviews. I have seen it in many places, many blog. Writing like "Lumia is dead", "it's too late" and so on.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is the list of some of the AWESOME apps that I use on my Lumia 720- Advanced English Dictionary, Bookviser Reader(awesome 3D reading experience), Disqus, Easy Transfer(WiFi transfer), Engadgets(love it's live tiles), Gaana, Headline Tile(to group my tiles as in PC), Health & Fitness(to track my running), HERE city lens, HERE Drive+ (use on a daily basis), HERE maps, Internet Download Manager, Magnify News reader (awesome 3D interface & live tiles for my feeds), myTube(puts official youtube app to shame), Office Lens(use it frequently), Oh Clock, OneNote, Pin Notes, Team Viewer(to help my mom), VLC, wpTorrent(download torrents directly on phone), Readiy, Saavn, musiXmatch.......
Find an app on Android that is as good as Bookviser Reader on WIndows phone. It should offer 3D page flipping, it should be able to import any file format and it should be free.....

I don't care. The general public doesn't care. What you use does not disprove the lack of apps others want. I'm not going to a platform I don't use to compare apps to an app you use that I have not an ounce of interest in or knowledge of.

There are MAYBE 5 apps I'll legitimately care about. One is Trillian, and it's not on the platform. THAT IS WHAT MATTERS. MY brother-in-law is a doctor, and while in med school, had to pass on Windows Phone because it didn't have the medical apps he used (ePocrates, and I think the other was MedScape or something, I'm unsure). My friend in IT passed on it because it was missing quite a few IT tools he wanted (LogMeIn being at the top of the list). What the masses want is important, and there are a lot of missing experiences.

Take a look at the photos in this link.
Nokia Lumia 1020 Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
It's a proven fact that the Lumias have the best cameras of the lot. Most of the other manufacturers have copied the Nokia's technology but still cannot beat them. Atleast give them credit where they deserve.
ALSO JUST AS IT IS WRONG TO SAY THAT THE NEW LUMIAS ARE BETTER WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING IT, IT IS WRONG TO SAY THAT THEY ARE BAD WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING IT.

I won't be looking at a thing because I don't care what you're linking. You're using a past camera to prove a future camera, which means nothing. The consistently discussed problem also exists that Windows Phone cameras have been rather slow to take pictures (something the 950 seems to address well, but it'll have to be seen in-person to truly decide). The image quality is useless if you're taking a picture too late to get what you want, so that is a factor. What's more, we've seen devices like the 920 launch with excessive noise and bad white balance, among other things. So, until I see the 950's LAUNCH camera topping the competition, I don't care what you're trying to show off with a 2.5-year-old camera that, when launched, was said to actually be inferior to its predecessor (the PureView 808).

The key difference in our arguments, of course, is that you are saying that the cameras ARE THE BEST NOW. I'm saying we need to see them before we say they're anything. You can't take the opposite of what you said, which I didn't say, and try to shove those words in my mouth and argue against them. That's indicative of bad logic that deserves thrown in the garbage.

Android lags and you know it! People using Nexus have to make sure that they keep atleast 1 GB of RAM free for optimal performance. So they keep on checking task manager. Atleast you will agree that Windows speed is better than Android any day for the same specs. That's my point. Which people never highlight, they never give credit to Microsoft for transforming themselves from Vista to Windows 10. They never give credit to Nokia for improving their touch screen so much that you can touch it wearing gloves, or for making their display so wonderful(thanks to Clearblack tech) that a 480p Lumia screen shames a 720p Android device like Moto. Why are you people so scared of giving credits to products that deserve it? How will you feel if someone does that to you?

I'm so sick of this point. I used my brother-in-law's galaxy S4. It had stuttering, and it was annoying. Guess what? I've experienced that kind of stuff on my 920 on WP8.1, and on W10M, it's especially bad (but I don't hold that against the platform because it's an unfinished OS not optimized for this device). People who say that there isn't stuttering or crashing or general inefficiencies in WP are complete liars. It might not be AS BAD as Android, but it's far from perfect, and that's also far from the biggest thing people use to decide their phones. They'll take some graphical hiccups to avoid missing out on their favorite apps, and I don't dispute the intelligence behind that. However, I DO dispute the intelligence of your post, which wants to look at one side of the argument, attack it, and not even observe the other.

No, I'm not giving Microsoft credit for Windows 10 when it launched half-finished, wants to charge you $15 to play DVDs, and it apparently going to launch in mobile form with key features (Astoria, Islandwood, and possibly Hello) absent. When Microsoft finishes its OS, I'll judge it. Yeah, it's better than Vista. It's better than 7. I guess it's better than 8.1, but I can't really tell that well. However, I'm not patting them on the back when they keep releasing half-finished stuff.

I really don't think these things matter to the vast (like 99%) of smartphone buyers. If you went around and asked 100 people which chip is in their phone they'd have no clue.

Microsoft had to release a phone now. They've been waiting for almost two years for a new high-end phone, and couldn't wait longer. They will have more phones coming, and maybe they will be on a different schedule, but right now this is what they had. Not much to do about it, and I think it's not significant at all for the success of the phone (no matter how you define that success).

For the tech blogs, I think they have overwhelmingly been rather positive about the phone, comparing it favorably to the Nexus that just came out. The chip version thing hasn't been mentioned much in the articles I've read (except for the detail about the liquid cooling) - if it's good enough for "Google", it's probably good enough seems to be the general consensus. If there is a bias, it's more about the realistic expectations one might have on the success of the W10M ecosystem, not about the phones themselves.

This all kind of is my point as well, though. No, most don't know what's the best. However, when it's time to get a new phone, they'll generically see bigger numbers on one device and think it's better, even if they forget then 12 seconds later and know nothing of what they mean. That, or they look for apps, and that just makes the platform look worse. Microsoft's in a tough position and only making it tougher with the release schedule it takes (well after many had re-upped for 1-2 years with Android and right before new Android devices will come out with better paper specs). The other part is MS isn't taking iPhone users, those people love Apple more than their kids. They should aim for Android users, and part of that means getting your releases lined up with when Android users can upgrade their phones.

Yeah, Microsoft had to release a phone now, but that's because they drunkenly fumbled releasing phones for 2+ years. The 830 was a joke. The 1520 was awkwardly launched and not marketed well. The 930 never got to AT&T, the core of the U.S. WP market. McLaren got canceled, with no replacement in-place. Microsoft made a bunch of bad moves that backed itself into another, to an extent. We don't know if Microsoft will have anything more coming, or what they'll do. It sounds like no 1000-series device is planned. All we know is that there is probably an enterprise-focused Surface Phone whose specs and functionality we don't know coming. It's hard to figure out what to think of that when we have maybe one planned device that's highly experimental coming.

I agree with the last part, there isn't much in the way of negative slant. It's more realism from the masses. They say the phones are nice, but are basically doomed by the position the platform is in, and that's just reality. They didn't bother getting the Android and iOS compilers ready, so the apps won't be there. They launched at an awkward time, after everyone locked in for new iPhones and at the end of a chip cycle. They're hiding the devices from carriers, meaning the largest U.S. carrier has nothing to sell people.

That last thing, I get it, but I don't. You would rather not have Verizon wasting devices and not training employees, like with the ICON. However, the solution isn't to make sure no Verizon or Sprint customers can use the devices, nor is it hiding them from T-Mobile in the scant MS Stores people have to make extra trips for (me, I'd have to drive 90+ minutes to a MS store, where as there are probably 5 AT&T locations within 15 minutes of me). Microsoft's almost acting like a petulant child, making a bad situation worse by taking their platform that lacks visibility and minimizing its opportunities.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That last thing, I get it, but I don't. You would rather not have Verizon wasting devices and not training employees, like with the ICON. However, the solution isn't to make sure no Verizon or Sprint customers can use the devices, nor is it hiding them from T-Mobile in the scant MS Stores people have to make extra trips for (me, I'd have to drive 90+ minutes to a MS store, where as there are probably 5 AT&T locations within 15 minutes of me). Microsoft's almost acting like a petulant child, making a bad situation worse by taking their platform that lacks visibility and minimizing its opportunities.

I believe this is because Microsoft has conceded and decided that it would cost more than it's worth to do whatever is needed to get the CDMA/Verizon compatibility functional, and they are done marketing to the masses. For the foreseeable future, they have decided that their phones are for the enthusiasts who will seek them out, and AT&T might have been the easiest to work with to essentially get a "stock" model into their stores. That's my interpretation of it, not really being petulant about Verizon/Sprint, but being realists about cost vs payoff.

I think they still have a mobile strategy, but they aren't really concerned with the current W10M and these current phones. They're already 2 years ahead, betting that they will have a real "pocket PC" at the time, that also can make phone calls and send SMS.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Android had went from a pleasant experience in 4.4.4, to a battery draining nightmare right after, and then it doesn't help the Stage Fright situation being overblown. My experience with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, the OS does not age that well, and I've had random reboots, but I think this has to do with battery contact developing that insulating film.

It sucks having to think Android 6.0 might kill the battery even worse, here's to hoping it doesn't...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Android had went from a pleasant experience in 4.4.4, to a battery draining nightmare right after, and then it doesn't help the Stage Fright situation being overblown. My experience with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, the OS does not age that well, and I've had random reboots, but I think this has to do with battery contact developing that insulating film.

It sucks having to think Android 6.0 might kill the battery even worse, here's to hoping it doesn't...
I didn't like ICS and JB either. Lollipop is a whole different ballgame. Great OS, and every bit as fast as efficient as W10M in my experience.

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Resuming...

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Resuming...
for 512 MB RAM devices. Samsung Galaxy Duos is a device with 768 MB RAM and you cannot install more than 5 apps if you want to run it smoothly. If Lumia 720 with 512 MB can manage 30 LIVE tiles and occasionally gives resuming message, which is better dude?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
No, I'm not giving Microsoft credit for Windows 10 when it launched half-finished, wants to charge you $15 to play DVDs
No body cares whether YOU give credit to Windows 10 or not. 110 million people have installed it and most of them are loving it. That is evident from the data shown by Microsoft at the start of the show.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The general public in the US want their banking apps, home automation apps, social apps, shopping apps, education apps, health care workers apps, etc. A phone without apps used daily for years is essentially a feature phone to some.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The general public in the US

There is a world outside USA. Other places, other societies, other usage patterns. Take Europe for example. In countries like Germany, France and Great Britain, Windows phone have gained massive numbers and now account for around 15% market share. Android has gone down by atleast 8% in most of the European countries. Why do you think is this happening if there was such a big APP GAP as you claim?

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
for 512 MB RAM devices. Samsung Galaxy Duos is a device with 768 MB RAM and you cannot install more than 5 apps if you want to run it smoothly. If Lumia 720 with 512 MB can manage 30 LIVE tiles and occasionally gives resuming message, which is better dude?
Let's compare high end phones...
Oh...still
Resuming...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a world outside USA. Other places, other societies, other usage patterns. Take Europe for example. In countries like Germany, France and Great Britain, Windows phone have gained massive numbers and now account for around 15% market share. Android has gone down by atleast 8% in most of the European countries. Why do you think is this happening if there was such a big APP GAP as you claim?

If you deny that the app gap exists, it's hard to have a serious conversation.
The US is the world's largest single app market, and it matters what is available here. Have you been here? Do you live here? If not, I can understand why you don't see how there is an app gap.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The general public in the US want their banking apps, home automation apps, social apps, shopping apps, education apps, health care workers apps, etc.
I will give you an overview for app situation in India.
Banking - HDFC, ICICI, SBI all have Windows apps

Home automation - [although we don't use it] Easydome Nexthome, INSTEON, Verisure, AT & T digital life home security are some of home automation apps on windows phone and pc.

Shopping apps - Flipkart, amazon, snapdeal, ebay all have their apps for windows phones.

Railways app - IRCTC [first arrived on Windows phone]

Communication - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone all have their apps on Windows phone

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, in countries where WP has a larger market share they may also have more apps. Most banks here have apps, even local ones, but not for WP. That is one example. The same is true for most other app types. I don't like it, but it's reality today, hopefully not the future.

Edit: I mention the US because I live here and the story from friends and on tech sites hasn't changed. I won't speak for other countries as I'm aware the situation is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)