Want to sell my Lumia 640 LTE

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 LTE White color (T-Mobile version - 8 GB Memory,1 GB RAM, WP 8.1 GDR2 with Lumia Denim) that I bought from Walmart couple of months back (Phone retails for $99 at Walmart). I really like the phone as it is light and super fast. I recently got the phone unlocked. So it should work on AT&T in US.

However I recently switched my job and the new company doesn't support Windows phone as part of their corporate mobile device management. They only support any Android or iOS (iPhone) device.

I would like to sell my Lumia 640 LTE White unlocked along with the Microsoft flip cover for Lumia 640 (retails for $25) for a competitive price.
Unfortunately popular phone buy back sites like gazelle, glyde, Amazon trade-in doesn't buy the Lumia 640 LTE. I can try craigslist, however I prefer a quick sell. Can anyone recommend an alternative? Thanks.

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to assume you listed it on the Marketplace here too...right?

The problem with these phones is that people expect a large savings for buying something used, on phones that is usually a hundred dollars at least. So when a phone only costs $100 to start, they balk at used unless it is $25-$40. And the owner balks at that low of a price because it isn't worth the hassle for them to sell it. So they seem to just become e-waste in the owners junk drawer.

Put in on Craigslist and you'll see. Most sellers on there are asking for damn near MSRP... I did pick up a 635 for $25 though, when they were selling for ~$60-$75 new. Felt that was a quality deal for both of us. It has a screen issue (looks like something very heavy was set on a corner) but who cares for $25.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
If you have the phone, the original accessories, and a flip case I could see you asking for $50 tops. Yes, the phones depreciate that much because they have a low cost of ownership up front. You have to convince someone that buying your phone for $50 is a better deal than spending $100 and getting brand new. You also have to tactfully remind them that they are getting the phone for a 50% markdown and it is unlocked. They can spend more, pay for it to be unlocked, and still have to run out and buy accessories - and they will be no better off in the end.

I think the 640 LTE is one of the better values in wireless and if the experience on Windows 10 Mobile isn't crippled by the hardware it will carry it's value for many months to come. Also, the 640 LTE has 1 GB of RAM. It would be nice if it had 2 GB, though.

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks @Curtieson. No I haven't listed it on the marketplace. Are you talking about windowscentral marketplace or some other place? I wasn't aware of one in existence till you mentioned it. Could you please direct me to the marketplace you are referring to.

I hope some windows central forum reader might be interested to buy it? Let' see. I will also list it on craigslist. Thanks.

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you have the phone, the original accessories, and a flip case I could see you asking for $50 tops. Yes, the phones depreciate that much because they have a low cost of ownership up front. You have to convince someone that buying your phone for $50 is a better deal than spending $100 and getting brand new. You also have to tactfully remind them that they are getting the phone for a 50% markdown and it is unlocked. They can spend more, pay for it to be unlocked, and still have to run out and buy accessories - and they will be no better off in the end.

I think the 640 LTE is one of the better values in wireless and if the experience on Windows 10 Mobile isn't crippled by the hardware it will carry it's value for many months to come. Also, the 640 LTE has 1 GB of RAM. It would be nice if it had 2 GB, though.

@neodk Thanks for the correction. I have edited my original post. Yes, I was thinking $50 for both phone and case. Both are in very good condition. thought it is Windows 10 capable, we have to see the final experience once it is officially available. Thanks.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I just shrug my shoulders when I see someone offer their 640 LTE for near the MSRP it is in the states, which $79.99 on AT&T GoPhone or $100 on T-Mobile Prepaid. You simply cannot expect to get what you paid for the phone. It's opened, it's been touched, and possibly used to a varying degree. I could understand if you bought it and after you opened it you didn't like it - then it would be worth more as a new open box item. But to me that's another $10 on top of the price and even then you are pushing it.

I think the T-Mo variant should get more, not because it's priced higher but because it's less bloated than AT&T's variant outside of two T-Mobile apps and a Getting Started app. It also has Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile / MetroPCS. The other plus is the T-Mo variant doesn't have carrier branding on it other than the pre-installed apps and T-Mo in the boot up screen.

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
@Guytronic - I really appreciate all your responses.

@neodk - I agree that T-Mobile variant is much better. I am not expecting close to the MSRP I paid. Something reasonable for both me and the buyer.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
That's why I kept my AT&T Lumia 640 despite having a Galaxy Note 5. Shipping cost and low cost of ownership for the Lumia 640 makes selling it almost completely pointless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234