Dear Forum Members:

First of all, let me introduce myself: I've just recently purchased a Lumia 830. I'm over the moon about it. Why? Because I had an iphone and android phone (all recent) - and this is clearly the fastest and most amazing featured phone I've seen.

I have a question:

In the camera settings, we have 2 options: to use the Lumia camera or the Microsoft Camera - which one do you prefer to use and why??
    jpharwood likes this.
    10-15-2015 10:48 AM
    The Microsoft Camera app has been gradually getting all the features of Lumia Camera. As of this post, the only feature (in the app's settings) that I see that Lumia Camera has over the MS Camera app, is the ability to enable the "Dolby surround audio recording" in video.

Other than that, the two apps, feature for feature, should be capable of producing the same exact results as far as photo quality. If I'm not mistaken, the image algorithms and processing should be the same, and I personally cannot tell the difference between any pictures taken with one or the other.

Edit: Welcome to the site btw!
    10-15-2015 11:10 AM
    I prefer Lumia Camera for these reasons:
    -DNG option
    -More customizable settings

Microsoft Camera is faster and has a less "wow" jpg algorithm. Choose it for fast automatic photos.

;)
    10-15-2015 12:44 PM
    -DNG option

Microsoft Camera is faster and has a less "wow" jpg algorithm. Choose it for fast automatic photos.

;)
    Having recently finally received the full Denim update from AAT, what is the DNG option? I have it selected in Photo Settings, but have no idea what impact it has or how to access it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-18-2015 12:22 AM
    DNG stands for "Digital NeGative" and is a RAW photo. If you enjoy editing pics, raw is the way to go, at the expense of file size as RAWs tend to be HUGE
    10-18-2015 12:43 AM
    DNG stands for "Digital NeGative" and is a RAW photo. If you enjoy editing pics, raw is the way to go, at the expense of file size as RAWs tend to be HUGE
    So the RAW images are not viewable on the phone, but are to be transferred to a computer for editing? Is that the point?

10-18-2015 08:22 AM
    So the RAW images are not viewable on the phone, but are to be transferred to a computer for editing? Is that the point?

Yep. That's the point. :)

To the original poster...One thing to keep in mind. If you're running Windows Phone 8.1, Lumia Camera is probably the best option. I believe Microsoft Camera is only being updated with the features Ed mentioned on Windows 10 Mobile, not 8.1.

Someone correct me If I'm wrong on that....???
    10-18-2015 08:37 AM
    -DNG option

;)
    Installed the latest W10 build (10549) and the Lumia Camera was gone, but the Microsoft camera did have the DNG option, also it has rich capture and living images
    10-19-2015 02:36 AM
    Installed the latest W10 build (10549) and the Lumia Camera was gone, but the Microsoft camera did have the DNG option, also it has rich capture and living images
    Good news.Well done microsoft.
    [OT] Now they just have to add a voice navigation feature to Maps considering that here drive+ has gone (sold) [/OT]
    10-19-2015 08:07 AM
    Lumia Camera because windows camera cant do 4K videos and RAW option on my Icon
    10-19-2015 08:37 AM
    I prefer Lumia Camera for the easy-to-access settings. If you only need point-'n-shoot functionality, Microsoft Camera is fine.

Lumia Camera used to be called Nokia Pro Cam. Instead of discontinuing it, I believe Microsoft should keep it as an app targeted towards those who want a user interface for shutterbugs, and give it a less ambiguous name that describes its intended user base (e.g. "Pro Cam" was a better name).
    10-21-2015 09:05 PM
    Lumia Camera because windows camera cant do 4K videos and RAW option on my Icon
    It can in Windows 10.
    10-22-2015 01:34 PM
    The latest update added it
    10-22-2015 08:34 PM