Microsoft Store now showing 950XL $849.99??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Was just browsing the store and noticed the prices have all gone up!!

What gives??
from 649 in US to 849 in CA and 1199 in AU. This is beyond a joke. waste of money buying one in AU as clearly it is a rip off for some HW which will be outdated soon as it is released. Grey imports are "not covered" under warranty so they can make more in AU. As screen shot asks at the end what would you like to do? I would like to not waste more money on the phones.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
from 649 in US to 849 in CA and 1199 in AU. This is beyond a joke. waste of money buying one in AU as clearly it is a rip off for some HW which will be outdated soon as it is released. Grey imports are "not covered" under warranty so they can make more in AU. As screen shot asks at the end what would you like to do? I would like to not waste more money on the phones.

USD$649 is basically equivalent to CAD$849 at current exchange rates.

USD649 is, however, just AUD$899.90 at the current exchange rate. Adding the 10% VAT, one would expect the AUD$ price to be more around AUD$990 and be equivalent to US and Canada pricing. So AUD$200 more is somewhat unreasonable I think, and I'm not sure what it's justified by.

But as I recall from previous articles on disparity in pricing of tech stuff in Australia, isn't this pretty common -- unexplained much higher prices compared to the exchange rate of prices from other countries?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So AUD$200 more is somewhat unreasonable I think, and I'm not sure what it's justified by
I think its due to the liquid cooling. Liquids swirl in the opposite direction below the equator so special cooling parts were needed and due to import/export laws have to be installed in-country. Pass it on.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
(old-guy rant mode on)

In 1792, the United States dollar was defined as a unit of pure silver weighing 371 4/16th grains (24.057 grams). Today's value of a United States dollar is 12.244 USD.

Those scraps of paper in your wallet, or stored electronically in your bank, are low-value copies of the original. They are not United States dollars by any stretch of the imagination.

(old-guy rant mode off)

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
USD$649 is basically equivalent to CAD$849 at current exchange rates.

USD649 is, however, just AUD$899.90 at the current exchange rate. Adding the 10% VAT, one would expect the AUD$ price to be more around AUD$990 and be equivalent to US and Canada pricing. So AUD$200 more is somewhat unreasonable I think, and I'm not sure what it's justified by.

But as I recall from previous articles on disparity in pricing of tech stuff in Australia, isn't this pretty common -- unexplained much higher prices compared to the exchange rate of prices from other countries?
not Just tech stuff. It is everything pretty much. It is called the Australia Tax locally. All it means is that the more exclusive and in demand the product, the higher unregulated charge to rip off the desperate. The govt will not intervene in this matter as the higher the business charges the more GST the govt can collect.
On a parallel note the business here are cunning to save on taxes by being owned by the parent company overseas so they are not paying taxes as much either.
It is the public that get caught in this mess and seek products overseas and online. The retailers here are pissed off that the online and overseas stores are undercutting the prices of the stores which is why atm they are urging the govt to impose taxes on them too.

I think its due to the liquid cooling. Liquids swirl in the opposite direction below the equator so special cooling parts were needed and due to import/export laws have to be installed in-country. Pass it on.
Lol
Just the other day I was reading on huffpost about how the world map came to be and why it is wrong in many ways. Just a quick question Why is North on top and south at bottom It could be the other way round too you know ;)

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother me. I'm still trying to figure out why a mirror swaps right for left, but if you lay the mirror on its side, it doesn't swap up and down.

Because it technically doesn't flip the image, you do. What you see is effectively the color of your skin transposed onto a screen with no translation. Because of our relation with gravity, all of our movement is done on a polar grid with a central axes perpendicular to the ground plane. Thus, when we reorient ourselves to view another person we rotate, effectively performing a left-right flip from the view of another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs