[640] Latest Windows Device Recovery OS Version?

Webmaster2015

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
[640] Latest Windows Device Recovery OS Version

Hey,

I just got a Lumia 640 for the purpose of loading Windows 10 on it. Before I do that, can someone tell me what the latest OS recovery version is (via the Windows Device Recovery Tool) for the Lumia 640? I have seen reports that you cannot receive Denim through the Windows Device Recovery Tool.

If you cannot receive Denim through the tool, can the phone be upgraded to Denim the usual way? I bought the No-Contract AT&T version, and AT&T had made it clear that their no-contract phones get left behind in the update process.

Thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: [640] Latest Windows Device Recovery OS Version

Hey,

I just got a Lumia 640 for the purpose of loading Windows 10 on it. Before I do that, can someone tell me what the latest OS recovery version is (via the Windows Device Recovery Tool) for the Lumia 640? I have seen reports that you cannot receive Denim through the Windows Device Recovery Tool.

If you cannot receive Denim through the tool, can the phone be upgraded to Denim the usual way? I bought the No-Contract AT&T version, and AT&T had made it clear that their no-contract phones get left behind in the update process.

Thanks.
As far as I know, the 640 already comes loaded with Denim out the box, regardless of it is on Cricket, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. So you shouldn't have issues getting it reloaded with that.

Webmaster2015

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

I don't know about that. In the past, Microsoft has mistakenly made Denim available through the Windows Device Recovery Tool but had removed it shortly afterward.

Can anyone else answer my question?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't know about that. In the past, Microsoft has mistakenly made Denim available through the Windows Device Recovery Tool but had removed it shortly afterward.

The 640 shipped with Denim, there is no possible way it can end up on older firmware because older firmware simply doesn't exist for that phone. You'll be fine using that tool.

i-guarantee-it.jpg

Latest OS should be pretty similar since they all have Update 2, the last major update. Even if ATT were to ditch the phone, it hasn't been left behind yet since the phone is still relatively new.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

You are making an assumption based on relatively isolated cases. Blips on the radar in the overall grand scheme of things. Just as you wouldn't expect KitKat recoveries for a Galaxy S6, you shouldn't expect to see anything less than 8.1 Denim on a Lumia 640.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo