Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
MS is FAILING with windows phone.

One of my 1520's broke, Asurion has NO REPLACEMENTS and will only offer 640xl or HTC.
imagine offering an iPhone customer an HTC as a replacement.
AT+T reps don't care one bit about Windows mobile.
This whole phone OS is a mess right now and only unraveling more and more as time passes.
I've been on board since my touchpro2 but nearing my wits end

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Carphone warehouse has started December 2015 since early October for both devices so let's just relax.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bathugeo

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
So to summarise Microsoft's performance:
  1. They buy Nokia with the purpose of growing its market share
  2. In the name of cost-saving, they let it be know a large proportion of Nokians will be fired and Lumia phones go from being something generating lots of media interest to being hardly talked about all, especially in the all important holiday season of 2013, as everybody keeps their head down.
  3. Further cost-saving job losses follow in 2014
  4. They sit out the 2014 holiday season with no significant new models
  5. They sit out almost of all of 2015 with no significant new models, claiming they are waiting for W10
  6. Windows 10 is launched but still not sign of new phones
  7. The "cost savings" lead to a $7 billion cost, causing the whole value of the Nokia acquisition to be written off. Further job losses follow in 2015 with almost everybody who survived the first previous culls also fired, including the former Nokia CEO who was personally responsible for Nokia choosing Microsoft in the first place
  8. Lumia phones are announced as if an embarrassment at a Microsoft hardware event but still promised
  9. They're now on course to miss the 2015 holiday season, making it three years in a row that they've failed to execute their strategy
If mobile market share is so important for Microsoft (and partly responsible for Bing being profitable for the first time ever) why do they keep sacking the staff responsible for delivering it? Why do they announce thousands more job losses for people responsible for delivering this year's models just before they're due to launch? Isn't the outcome of that obvious??

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
MS is FAILING with windows phone.

One of my 1520's broke, Asurion has NO REPLACEMENTS and will only offer 640xl or HTC.
imagine offering an iPhone customer an HTC as a replacement.
AT+T reps don't care one bit about Windows mobile.
This whole phone OS is a mess right now and only unraveling more and more as time passes.
I've been on board since my touchpro2 but nearing my wits end
If you didn't know Asurion is NOT a branch of Microsoft. Its a 3rd party insurance company. Check your policy to see if you agreed to allowing them to substitute and what are the limitations. I suspect they have to offer you a replacement that has the same price (or higher) now as the insured phone cost you when you purchased it. So unless you payed less for your 1520 than a 1320 costs now they owe you something better. If there is literally no Windows Phone available for the same or more than you paid for the 1520, maybe they will just pay you a fair value for a used 1520.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
The reason for the delays is very obvious for me. W10M. For anyone following the Windows Insider releases, they now have to revert back to 8.1 in order to upgrade to 10. That should make it very clear that they are getting to closer to 'finalizing' the OS, because they will also be releasing it as an upgrade for many existing 8.1 phones.

The 950 XL demo units probably never had 8.1 installed, so they can't be upgraded to the latest 10 builds, which is why they were recalled. It's a question of timing, not that it gives us any solace for those of us (like myself) who have just been playing the waiting game.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Today I was in the new Microsoft store in NY.
I've played with the new 950 XL for almost an hour.
AMAZING device! JUST AMAZING.
They even let me pre order it for 0 $ and i ordered 3 devices!
Microsoft, this is your last chance! I'm going to wait few more days - And let's see what happen.

If not - I'll be forced to buy an iphone - and you got no idea how much i hate that thought.
PLEASE DO NOT LET US DOWN AGAIN!

I thought they were all pulled? Wonder what the reason is for withdrawal.

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If you didn't know Asurion is NOT a branch of Microsoft. Its a 3rd party insurance company. Check your policy to see if you agreed to allowing them to substitute and what are the limitations. I suspect they have to offer you a replacement that has the same price (or higher) now as the insured phone cost you when you purchased it. So unless you payed less for your 1520 than a 1320 costs now they owe you something better. If there is literally no Windows Phone available for the same or more than you paid for the 1520, maybe they will just pay you a fair value for a used 1520.

Thanks for letting me know Asurion isn't a part of MS, I HAD NO CLUE.
The point is that since no phone of near quality/value has been replaced they can't offer me anything, THAT IS MICROSOFTS fault 100%.

I have spent many hours the last few days talking with ATT + Asurion and they all say there is nothing more they can do if I want to stay on windows phone because there is no option that is equal to the 1520.
All they say is I I can find one in a ATT store and pay full retail they will refund minus deductible and ATT can't find a store with one, eBay isn't allowed by asurion their corporate rep told me over phone
I paid full retail for 1520, no other lower grade WP is acceptable.
I Should just hold out til 950 drops and then demand that as replacement, but that could be next year or get cancelled like McLaren I can't have faith in MS anymore
No point in having insurance when they wont support the phone.
You wreck a Tesla and the insurance only wants to give you value of a Hyundai Elantra you wouldn't be happy either.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth doesn't connect via LTE/CDMA/GSM towers. Bluetooth connects one item to another only and over a VERY short distance. Therefore FCC requirements don't apply to Bluetooth or WiFi. Only CDMA, LTE and GSM radios. And the reason Verizon won't get these phones is because Verizon refused to certify the CDMA radios on these devices so Microsoft turned them off, even on the unlocked phones. Microsoft said that if Verizon doesn't want them, then any customer who stays with Verizon won't be able to use their device on their network and I can't say I blame Microsoft here. Verizon has NEVER shown any love to Microsoft and I have the Lumia Icon as proof! I'm switching to AT&T as soon as these phones are released and Verizon and ki55 my a55!

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
apparently the FCC ID is now available in the Extras+Info section... you can view this from previous devices including RM-1127, RM-1128, RM-1085 on the FCC OET website

smoothdogfish

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
For those that switched to the iPhone, I have 3 quick questions. If I do choose to switch over from the WP, how complicated is the process to 1) import contacts but still manage them via microsoft (eg outlook.com) 2) use microsoft calendar as the default calendar, and 3) auto upload pictures to onedrive? My whole life is wrapped up with OneDrive and Outlook.com and I really don't want to switch everything over permanently. I'm happy with these services, just tired of constantly hoping that WP will be better "next time."

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
:))))))))))))))))) again hardware flaws??? 930 had them: overheating and screen glass popping off the frame in corners, 1520 had them: scroll issue, what on earth is the QC Team doing???

All phones have "hardware" issues on release so it could be that, but why speculate about that when we KNOW the OS isn't read yet?

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
For those that switched to the iPhone, I have 3 quick questions. If I do choose to switch over from the WP, how complicated is the process to 1) import contacts but still manage them via microsoft (eg outlook.com) 2) use microsoft calendar as the default calendar, and 3) auto upload pictures to onedrive? My whole life is wrapped up with OneDrive and Outlook.com and I really don't want to switch everything over permanently. I'm happy with these services, just tired of constantly hoping that WP will be better "next time."

Well you sign into your accounts in ios and the contacts and calender events should auto download without a problem. You of course cant set default apps on ios so you wont be able to set the mircosoft clients as default but you can still use them of course. Photos auto upload if you turn it on.

Its not too different from WP. Of course we are used to the wp UX so the will be some getting used the backwards way things work on ios, but you will get used to it.

jmthomas1987

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Maybe this is just a nutty idea but:

What if MS pulled the devices to get them re-certified to WORK on Verizon's network? It would probably entail re-flashing firmware, then re-submitting them to the FCC for an amended certification.

I know that is way out there, and probably not likely, but with the whole blow up about not being able to use these on VZ's network, especially on the VZ user forums where they are just BURNING the forums up cussing VZ and threatening to move to AT&T just to have this phone, maybe VZ finally relented.

Thought maybe that could be possible due to interest from corporate customers wanting to switch to WM10, which could be a big shot to VZ if they left.

Last edited:

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget you are dealing with Microsoft with no long term leadership . Steve Ballmer bought Nokia to complete the ecosystem which was lacking . The new CEO does not care about the phone as he thinks Cloud is everything . COO did not even mention phone at the Manhattan store opening . That expresses the culture inside the company . This CEO talks about Windows 10 but he had nothing to do with that . If he had been elected earlier , there would Not even be a Windows 10, desktop version or Mobile . So nobody gives a rat when the phone will arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05