Your Experience Running Android Apps?

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
For you guys running Win 10 what's your experience running Android apps? I have high hopes this could be a game changer ultimately.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
check out XDA developers but I believe anything Android is currently not in recent builds of 10 Mobile.

Correct, in the latest builds the Android run-time has been removed and this function is no longer available. If you have a device that is still running a previous build, you should have access to this feature.

If you want Android applications, you are better served with an Android based device. This feature was more for a proof of concept showing developers that their apps published on Android could be ported easily to run on Windows Phone. Universal apps are going to be better in the long run and hopefully something that Microsoft pushes developers more towards.

Viipottaja

May 22, 2012
Visit site
The Android bridge project appears to be alive and kicking and have seen many say the Android run-time will be added back in future builds.

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Wondering if this 'proof of concept' influenced potential windows developers to stick with Android knowing the run-time could handle their apps under windows?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if this 'proof of concept' influenced potential windows developers to stick with Android knowing the run-time could handle their apps under windows?

its more than a proof of concept, its an actual thing. or will be.

at this point we dont really have too much to lose.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, we don't need another smartphone that can run Android applications. We need a smartphone that runs universal applications, those designed for not only the desktop but mobile as well. Applications that scale properly and give the end-user an experience not found anywhere else.

So I can run Android applications on my Windows Phone. Neat. If I was an application developer, I would be freaking out right now that my programs were being installed on hardware it wasn't meant to be run on. As an end-user, what benefit does this truly offer? The Android applications don't plug into the OS and you couldn't set anything as a default to get a seamless transition from one program to another. You have different design philosophies and dependencies as well.

Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

The Microsoft ecosystem has to thrive if you expect Windows Phone to sustain itself. Piggybacking Android apps is similar in vein to what Blackberry has done with their BB OS and now there is a full-on Android OS device being launched much to the delight of physical keyboard enthusiasts that are permanently placed into the Crackberry praying position. I'm not saying there would be an Android based Lumia device with PureView.

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
If my 640 can run Android apps I don't give a damn how or why. It resolves the primary gripe users have ... lack of apps. If they work fine I wouldn't mind paying for it even if already purchased under Android.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos