Ordered the Lumia 1520. Need tips on a few things...

NickInLA

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the 640 for a few days and while it's a fun phone, I wanted a phone to do something more. I use my LG G3 very heavy as a reader and a camera so I think the 1520 should be great for those two things.
I am in no hurry for W10 so is there a specific stable version I should be looking at? Is 8.1 pretty stable? Does "Hey Cortana" work with 8.1 on the 1520? I'm extremely reliant on "OK Google" so this is big for me. I was told this is one of the phones 'Hey Cortana' will work on. I think this phone is capable of RAW shooting? Is that right? I use LR for my work so I'm really looking forward to this. The G3 has a good camera but no native RAW support. From whatever videos I saw, the 1520 seems to be very snappy due to it's hardware and I want to make sure I have everything covered for a great Windows experience. I already like Coffee reader for my epub files but I am puzzled as to why Opera is not developing a full fledged browser instead of the crappy mini. Thanks!:sweaty:

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the 1520 with the Denim update on it (wp8.1). It has "Hey Cortana" on it and I use it alot. The more you use it the better the experience. I have a Android phone for work and the Ok Google experience is not even close to Cortana. I have never tried to shoot in Raw and can't speak to that feature.
The speed and smoothness of the 1520 is awesome, you will not be disappointed.

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the 640 for a few days and while it's a fun phone, I wanted a phone to do something more. I use my LG G3 very heavy as a reader and a camera so I think the 1520 should be great for those two things.
I am in no hurry for W10 so is there a specific stable version I should be looking at? Is 8.1 pretty stable? Does "Hey Cortana" work with 8.1 on the 1520? I'm extremely reliant on "OK Google" so this is big for me. I was told this is one of the phones 'Hey Cortana' will work on. I think this phone is capable of RAW shooting? Is that right? I use LR for my work so I'm really looking forward to this. The G3 has a good camera but no native RAW support. From whatever videos I saw, the 1520 seems to be very snappy due to it's hardware and I want to make sure I have everything covered for a great Windows experience. I already like Coffee reader for my epub files but I am puzzled as to why Opera is not developing a full fledged browser instead of the crappy mini. Thanks!:sweaty:
Hey! 1520 is a masterpiece indeed. The design and the software do blend well but it is a little outdated...in a relative sense. You might be knowing that MS is launching 950 and 950xl later this year. So why arent you going for those instead of the 1520? 1520 does have a lagfree experience on windows 8.1 and it does support both 'hey cortana' and RAW imaging. So it will be a good upgrade from 640 but so would be the 950xl, so why not that. Just curious;)hope i helped.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the club...

I am in no hurry for W10 so is there a specific stable version I should be looking at? Is 8.1 pretty stable? Does "Hey Cortana" work with 8.1 on the 1520? I'm extremely reliant on "OK Google" so this is big for me. I was told this is one of the phones 'Hey Cortana' will work on.

Upgrade to 8.1 Update. It should be the last Official available to you via OTA. Yes it is stable. Yes you will have "Hey Cortana."

I think this phone is capable of RAW shooting? Is that right? I use LR for my work so I'm really looking forward to this. The G3 has a good camera but no native RAW support.

Yes it will shoot the DNG standard of RAW at 16MP for 16:9 or 19MP at 4:3. It also saves a 5MP oversampled jpg in tandem. Also, built in HDR with the Rich Capture feature that is merged right on the phone and 4k video as well.

From whatever videos I saw, the 1520 seems to be very snappy due to it's hardware and I want to make sure I have everything covered for a great Windows experience. I already like Coffee reader for my epub files but I am puzzled as to why Opera is not developing a full fledged browser instead of the crappy mini. Thanks!:sweaty:

The 1520 screen is big and beautiful. You should really enjoy it.

Can't answer about the Opera... I really haven't used it much as it can't give me the desktop experience of mobile IE or the Bing searches to help me build Bing Rewards points...

NickInLA

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey! 1520 is a masterpiece indeed. The design and the software do blend well but it is a little outdated...in a relative sense. You might be knowing that MS is launching 950 and 950xl later this year. So why arent you going for those instead of the 1520? 1520 does have a lagfree experience on windows 8.1 and it does support both 'hey cortana' and RAW imaging. So it will be a good upgrade from 640 but so would be the 950xl, so why not that. Just curious;)hope i helped.

I am not buying the 950XL because I think the 1520 with its specs can still do the job. Besides, the 950XL is an expense I can avoid since I already have a couple of high end Android phones I need to sell first :wink:. I appreciate your information. Thanks.

NickInLA

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the club...

Upgrade to 8.1 Update. It should be the last Official available to you via OTA. Yes it is stable. Yes you will have "Hey Cortana."

Yes it will shoot the DNG standard of RAW at 16MP for 16:9 or 19MP at 4:3. It also saves a 5MP oversampled jpg in tandem. Also, built in HDR with the Rich Capture feature that is merged right on the phone and 4k video as well.

The 1520 screen is big and beautiful. You should really enjoy it.

Can't answer about the Opera... I really haven't used it much as it can't give me the desktop experience of mobile IE or the Bing searches to help me build Bing Rewards points...

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to the 1520.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is a heck of a device. I wish I get myself used to large screen. I have one with a broken screen coming in today. Each time I fix one of these, it takes me awhile to make it available for sale.....

NickInLA

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I do. I usually buy broken ones, refurb them, sweat over keeping or selling, then sell. My current daily is an HTC One M8 that I refurbed, and liked a lot, so I will soon be selling my 830 RM-985.

That's good to know. How much do you charge for this service to replace a broken screen on the 1520? Thx!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs