950XL SD card speeds?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Been searching, but coming up empty handed. Does anyone have any info about the 950XL SD card bus speed? What is it's max read and write speeds for the SD card slot. Would be helpful when purchasing an SD card for it. Would be awesome if it supports the latest standard, Ultra High-speed v2, UHS-II.

Untitled.jpg

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I found out on another thread that the Snapdragon chips used in both 950's can only support Bus Interface UHS-I. After further research on my own it turns out that the new Snapdragon 820 being introduced next year also only supports UHS-I, so I get the feeling it will be awhile before we see a phone supporting UHS-II from any manufacturer.

batab

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I found out on another thread that the Snapdragon chips used in both 950's can only support Bus Interface UHS-I. After further research on my own it turns out that the new Snapdragon 820 being introduced next year also only supports UHS-I, so I get the feeling it will be awhile before we see a phone supporting UHS-II from any manufacturer.

At the moment UHS-II is not supported by nearly ANY device. Not even high-rated DSLR support that standard. Only few DSLR support that if i'm not mistaken. It's a quite recent standard and requires different hardware as they need more pins to read UHS-II so pretty much no manufacturer would have had any benefit. Moreover there are very few microSD UHS-II and these are quite pricey. Hence you can bet it will not be supported for at least 2-3 years on smartphones.

PS: if you want a good 128gb microsd you can get lexar 633x while if you want an even faster card switch for a 64gb sandisk extreme pro or sandisk extreme plus. These cards still afford good sequential speed and in particular for the two sandisk i mentioned they also reach nice random speeds.

EyoSama

May 28, 2012
Visit site
According to the Lexar site, their UHS-II cards are backwards compatible with UHS-I devices. There appear to be several UHS-II devices available, and they are not much higher priced than the UHS-I cards. I believe I will look to purchase one of these UHS-II cards for my 950XL, it seems like they should work (at least according to Lexar).

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
just want to point out the (ostensibly) obvious for those who might wander into this thread: bus speed is not necessarily an indicator of overall card speed. Yes, you need a UHS-I card...but that is a necessary/not sufficient piece of the puzzle. You will also need to look at the speed class of the card as well. This will be marked on the card...and you want a "U3" card if you will be shooting 4k video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_class_rating

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think what is being asked is "what speed SDCard will I actually be able to take advantage of?". I had this problem myself... you can spend a ton of money to get a really fast card, but if the interface on there phone limits the speed anyway it won't help at all. I would also love to know what is the fastest card that will actually give me an advantage in current 950 phones.

SnowDogNZ

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Ended up buying a PNY U3 Turbo 64GB card from Amazon (I live in Australia, this card was the best quality/value for money in my situation after hours of research). Wanted it to do full 4K video recording, so it should work out great.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
312MB/s out of a MicroSD ? OMG. If you have a system or phone that could fully support it.

Your NOT getting a 128gb MicroSD card with those speeds for $99.... It's going to really, really expensive...

Very cool, cant wait till I can get some....Modern USB drives and flashcards are so slow... I had to get a 256gb Kingstion HyperX USB drive just to get 150-190MB/s and that came with a pretty price tag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)