No "Hey Cortana" on W10 mobile

blckDTshadow

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
I just installed Windows 10 mobile on my Lumia 930 - arrived today ;) however it tells me, that "Hey Cortana" is not available for my German device. Is that a bug or is it still coming?
Also double tap seems slow and only works from time to time.

Overall I am pretty amazed by the device and the new system. And yes I am aware that it is a WIP ;)

Cheers blckDTshadow

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
I just installed Windows 10 mobile on my Lumia 930 - arrived today ;) however it tells me, that "Hey Cortana" is not available for my German device. Is that a bug or is it still coming?
Also double tap seems slow and only works from time to time.

Overall I am pretty amazed by the device and the new system. And yes I am aware that it is a WIP ;)

Cheers blckDTshadow
Yep Cortana is not as good yet. For that reason alone I went back to 8.1. U may also have trouble sending texts and getting notifications about when you need to leave via Cortana. Those r must haves for me. So I'll just wait.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I too don't have Hey Cortana, after installing the latest build (I don't get a message like I used to that it's unavailable for my 930. It's just not there).

However, reading all the articles which say that it should be available in the latest build, I notice that they all say the same thing in the same words:

For devices upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 like the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, and Lumia 1520 that had the “Hey Cortana” feature – with this build “Hey Cortana” should work again in Windows 10. To make sure it’s turned on, just go to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana.

Which makes me wonder, if I downgraded to Windows 8.1 and then re-installed Insider and the latest build, would I then get "Hey Cortana"? Has anyone tried that?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
For me i can see her in the settings, but i have set region and language to US (ENG), but i can't set her up, because it crashes and doesn't listen.

Note: She just came in the last build, so maybe she will get fixed in the next :)

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got an update last night to Build 10581 on my Lumia Icon and "Hey Cortana" is there, but it doesn't hear me and I can't train her. When I attempt to "train" Cortana, I get a written response of "I didn't get that." She can never hear my voice. However, when I tap the microsoft within Cortana app, she can hear me fine and responds appropriately to questions and requests. MS needs to fix the "training" issue in the next build.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I too don't have Hey Cortana, after installing the latest build (I don't get a message like I used to that it's unavailable for my 930. It's just not there).

However, reading all the articles which say that it should be available in the latest build, I notice that they all say the same thing in the same words:

For devices upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 like the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon, and Lumia 1520 that had the “Hey Cortana” feature – with this build “Hey Cortana” should work again in Windows 10. To make sure it’s turned on, just go to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana.

Which makes me wonder, if I downgraded to Windows 8.1 and then re-installed Insider and the latest build, would I then get "Hey Cortana"? Has anyone tried that?

The answer is no! I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Build 10581 on my Lumia Icon and although everything is there, Hey Cortana doesn't work because you must first "train" Hey Cortana to hear your voice, and the training part never hears my voice. I can activate Cortana using the microphone within the app, but you can't traing the "Hey Cortana" part, so you can't activate Cortana by voice only.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Same here, NOLATechy, I went back to 8.1 then reinstalled Preview including the new build/refresh on my 930 yesterday afternoon and Settings> System>About now identifies the software as being Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10.0.10581.0). Hey Cortana now shows up in Settings under Extras, but I can't train "her". She just doesn't hear me no matter how many times I say "Hey Cortana". But Cortana hears me and works fine (even better than before) any other place where I can touch the microphone icon.

Frustrating.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess it must have been the minor refresh to 586.11, but somehow yesterday. Hey Cortana started working on my 930. Just a few days ago it had gone from being there but unresponsive to a note saying that Hey Cortana wasn't available on my phone. Then yesterday I was suddenly able to train it to my voice and now it works excellently.

I'm a happy boy. Guess I can put off getting a 950 for a while!

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Guessing this is related to the 930 mic problems? - i tried the latest build this weekend - first time on w10 for me. Hey Cortana wont work, she cant hear me. No sound when recording video either - at least i had that in 1 speaker on 8.1. MS have totally screwed up with their software releases for their last 'flahgship'. I'm goimng to back to 8.1 once the recovery tool has dowloaded the software. Back to a stable OS, but still no handsfree mic/speaker........

950xl has been put on hold for me.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I was sure it is not working for me too on the latest build, but then i took my time to hit those 5 bullets, had to say hey cortana at least 50 times, then it worked, and now still works like she should. So just keep trying in perfect silence.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I was sure it is not working for me too on the latest build, but then i took my time to hit those 5 bullets, had to say hey cortana at least 50 times, then it worked, and now still works like she should. So just keep trying in perfect silence.

So you can have the 930 away from you, say on your desk - and it works? Even now i'm back on 8.1, i have to hold the phone right up to my mouth for it to hear.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So you can have the 930 away from you, say on your desk - and it works? Even now i'm back on 8.1, i have to hold the phone right up to my mouth for it to hear.

Yes. (Although I typically use it with the phone about 10 - 12 inches away in my hand).

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

For me it works even in a car while driving... Must be the mic problem then maybe :eek:rly:

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Going back to 8.1 from 10 has actually sorted my hey cortana! It now works from a few feet away. Not sure if it was having to hard reset and reload 8.1 that has sorted it, but all good. Still dodgy sound on video recording and no handsfree mic though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6