msn health and fitness replacement?

baldrob

May 29, 2014
Visit site
On 11-1-15 the MSN health and fitness app quits working. What are some suggestions for replacing it? I mostly want step tracking but other features would be good as well. I not going to be getting a band anytime soon so it would have to work with just the phone. I don't mind paying for an app if it's a good one, I'm just not sure what is good and what isn't.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I very much lament the loss of the MSN health and fitness app as I liked the real time steps feature. I don't need all the features of a health band or similar. The Microsoft Health App is a poor replacement since the steps feature is not real time and you have to wait for it to sync or else force it manually. If the network is poor then it won't even update. You can tell the app was really designed for the band as I had read the steps feature is really meant only as a fill in while your not wearing it which would explain why it has to keep syncing.

They said that not many were using the original MSN health and fitness app which is why they discontinued it. I think it was just an excuse to get rid of it, as they want everyone to buy a band instead. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any real alternative in the app store since they all seem to have very poor reviews at best.

echan

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I resorted to loading the Fitbit app again even though I no longer have one just so there's something to show me the steps I take during the day with my phone. In the setup device screen you can choose the option of not having a Fitbit yet and use your phone to track steps.

I guess if you don't want to get a Microsoft band you can track your diet and exercise here too after you setup a Fitbit account. Their app and website are an adequate replacement for checking activity.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I resorted to loading the Fitbit app again even though I no longer have one just so there's something to show me the steps I take during the day with my phone. In the setup device screen you can choose the option of not having a Fitbit yet and use your phone to track steps.

I guess if you don't want to get a Microsoft band you can track your diet and exercise here too after you setup a Fitbit account. Their app and website are an adequate replacement for checking activity.
Does the Fit Bit app track your steps in real time? At one point I was even considering the Fit Bit Zip device itself due to it having a windows phone app, but didn't see the point in wasting $50-60 when the phone already has a steps sensor which works in Microsoft Health, even if it isn't real time.

I didn't realize the Fit Bit app would also use the phones internal sensor. My only concern is that due to the dwindling Windows Phone Market, Fit Bit may discontinue the app, most likely at the point I get used to it!

echan

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Does the Fit Bit app track your steps in real time? At one point I was even considering the Fit Bit Zip device itself due to it having a windows phone app, but didn't see the point in wasting $50-60 when the phone already has a steps sensor which works in Microsoft Health, even if it isn't real time.

I didn't realize the Fit Bit app would also use the phones internal sensor. My only concern is that due to the dwindling Windows Phone Market, Fit Bit may discontinue the app, most likely at the point I get used to it!

If the app is open it's updating the step count in real time. If the app is closed it will at least periodically update the live tile. That’s something the MS Health app lacks. The fitbit app also does things that used to be in the MSN Health & Fitness app like allowing you to log your diet and gps track your outdoor activities for running/walking, etc. by using the sensorcore capabilities in your phone.

it's doubtful the fitbit app will disappear anytime soon. They have way more market saturation than garmin, apple and microsoft combined.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If the app is open it's updating the step count in real time. If the app is closed it will at least periodically update the live tile. That?s something the MS Health app lacks. The fitbit app also does things that used to be in the MSN Health & Fitness app like allowing you to log your diet and gps track your outdoor activities for running/walking, etc. by using the sensorcore capabilities in your phone.

it's doubtful the fitbit app will disappear anytime soon. They have way more market saturation than garmin, apple and microsoft combined.
I finally installed the FitBit app yesterday and you're right it does seem to be a good replacement for the MSN Health & Fitness app. I am always reluctant to move to another app unless there is a good reason due to the need to setup yet another online account.

I am not so much concerned about the live tile as I know that can only update at certain intervals, but it will be nice to be able to open the app and see my step count a certain points during the day without having to go through the hassle of forcing it to sync and waiting.

The problem with the Microsoft Health app is there have been a couple of times where it wasn't actually counting my steps and I wasn't sure at first if it was a problem with the syncing due to connection problems or not. With a real time count, I can at least see if something is wrong instantly to decide if I need to restart the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon