Hard reset?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I've seen it said several times that we should do a Hard Reset after an update.

I know I can hold the volume down and press Power for a few seconds to do a reset but there is also a place in Settings where there is a Button labeled Reset.

Are both Hard Resets or, if not, which one is a Hard Reset?

Finally got ver 581 to install it seems. It was a struggle.
Took hours to get it downloaded / installed. Installation took as long or longer than downloading and then it had an error code and would not restart but eventually it did.

Now I'm thinking I should do the Hard Reset they all talk about but I'm not sure of the difference in method for Hard and Soft reset.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Whoa .. just went to do the Hard Reset and I had always seen on the forum that Hard Reset would not bother your apps etc. but it says it will wipe everything all apps music pictures etc. etc with the option to wipe the SD card as well ( which I have unchecked ).

I wouldn't roll back to 8.1 on the last update because I wasn't willing to lose everything and have to start over and it looks like Hard Reset < WILL > wipe the phone and put it back to " just out of the box " condition.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Whoa .. just went to do the Hard Reset and I had always seen on the forum that Hard Reset would not bother your apps etc.

Where did you see on forum that hard reset won't bother your apps ?.

Only a soft reset wouldn't bother apps.

If you do a hard reset everything would be gone.

Even the apps you stored on SD card would be useless. (Even if you did not opt for formatting the SD card)

The only things that would survive a hard reset are the photos, music, videos and other files provided they are stored on SD card and is not formatted .

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to go back to 8.1. :)
I had just seen on the forum that after an update you should do a Hard Reset ( perhaps I got it wrong and it should be a Soft Reset ) and the phone would work better.
So I was going to do that, but I don't want to wipe out all the apps I have installed. The pics < should > be in the cloud. Don't have much music but do have some sound files I use with alarm clock that were a pain to get working before. My phone plays Taps at 11 PM and Reveille at 6:30 am.

Phone seems to be working OK as far as I know so far so I'm going to forget doing a reset of any kind ... unless something happens that I positively have to because it won't work unless I do.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Reckon I'll just have to muddle along with the phone in it's present condition --- which seems to be fine.

I would just about as soon buy a new phone if I had to wipe this one and start over.

Ain't gonna happen unless some dire disaster strikes.

If I had to start all over it would make Android look much better ... although perhaps one needs to do that with those phones too. Dunno, never had one. This is my first " smart " phone. And if it has to be set back to " out of the box " state every few months --- it ain't all that smart.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
This is my first " smart " phone. And if it has to be set back to " out of the box " state every few months --- it ain't all that smart.
First of all I do not know how to put it smoothly.
So here it goes.

1. You opted for a beta program of an OS, bugs and disasters are bound to happen (no guarantee).
2. The phone is your daily driver and you do not have any backup phones.
3. This is your first smart phone and you opt for buggy beta OS and later say that your experience was bad ?.
4. Last but not the least you complain about the smart-phone not being smart (after all that you have done to it (putting the beta OS and having a bad experience or having to do certain procedures to keep it running smoothly ))? (think again !!).

Personal opinion:
You should have stuck with WP8.1U2 which was the OS that came out of the box. No bugs at all.
Doesn't need hard reset and all. Just occasional soft reset *if* something doesn't work well.
You never spent enough time with the stock OS. Instead you went immediately to W10M beta and you are currently having a 'bad' experience.
Wait until W10M is complete. It will be as stable as the current WP8.1U2.

I would just about as soon buy a new phone if I had to wipe this one and start over.
It is an electronic device, not toilet paper.

Ain't gonna happen unless some dire disaster strikes.
Hard reset is standard procedure (**highly recommended**) after each update for W10M beta (**before you start installing apps**) for smooth running.
Once the OS is complete and the final stable version is released, you wouldn't have to do the same after updates.

If I had to start all over it would make Android look much better ... although perhaps one needs to do that with those phones too. Dunno, never had one.

I've been using android for more than 4 years.
Here are my findings, experiences and the reason why i decided to jump to Windows Phone.

I've been using Samsung and Nexus devices.

1. Android relies heavily on dalvik cache for running apps on the platform. It builds up pretty fast and clogs the phone like a clogged drain. I have not figured out yet how that cache is managed/optimized by the OS.

2. You will find stock android experience only on Nexus and a few other devices like Motorola. All others heavily customize the OS and use their own interface (launchers, some apps and UI ). eg: touchwiz for samsung, which in turn affect their performance.

3. No matter how high hardware specs you have on an android, it will lag. The memory management is poor. At any given time either half or 3/4th of the RAM is full with junk.

4. There is a feature called "background data" (similar to the features found in our battery saver app) which keeps things in sync, if turned on will drain your battery like you drain your toilet.

5. I was forced to use a 3rd party app for RAM and memory management.

6. Device requires daily sometimes hourly restarts.

7. Even if they are big brands (except Nexus which is managed directly by Google), the updates they push out can't be trusted 100%. (Yes I am saying the updates to a non beta OS could be buggy)

8. If you turn on mobile data (internet) and background data (which keeps things in sync) at the same time, the phone wouldn't last for more than 12 hours.

9. Too much of a hassle to handle a "smart-phone".

10. What good is a "smart-phone" if it cannot figure out by itself how to manage stuff and keep things running smoothly ?
That's when I jumped to Windows Phone.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm well aware that I signed onto a beta OS. I've been beta testing windows since Windows 95.
Not new to computers or beta testing.
Just new to " smart " phones.

I < did > opt not to take the previous update because I refused to roll back to 8.1 to get it.
I waited for one that installed without that.

Nowhere in " official " Windows have I seen it stated that one HAD to do a Hard Reset ... just advice from users on here claiming it made the phone work better.

If I knew it was official Windows policy to do a Hard Reset and / or it was required as part of beta testing --- I would either do it without b*i*t*c*h*i*n*g or leave the program. But Windows doesn't tell us we have to do that.

I love the smug way the fan bois talk to people who do / say things they don't like.

Oh sooo superior.

If I didn't know better I'd think I was on a Linux board.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Nobody forces you to do it, not even the hard reset. I agree with Daniel Gilbert and I do not think his post comes across as "superior". Your questions are discussed all over the forum with plenty of explanations. I suggest you follow Daniel Rubino's main page posts to see if the current build has the potential to be used on your main phone. People in this thread are still trying to politely help you. You always come back to tell us that you feel forced to do the extra steps and you threaten - I don't know who - to start over with a new phone.

And if it has to be set back to " out of the box " state every few months --- it ain't all that smart
This was YOUR choice. If you had stayed on WP8.1 Update 2 you wouldn't have to do anything. Simply use your phone and don't waste your time with updates and hard resets. You cannot compare a Windows beta program of the past with the new way of previews that sometimes happen on a weekly basis both on W10 and W10M.
It's ok to come here and ask questions to help you understand certain things. But you also have to do your homework and look into existing threads for solutions and answers before you start a thread. Complaints about a preview have no place here, expecially if these complaints have been posted many times already.

And as I mentioned to you in some of your other threads that you posted, please ensure you post this to the right topic. Your original post belongs to the W10M topic. I understand you have a 640XL but your key points do not belong into this thread.

Your Linux comment is out of place as well. It took a number of posts until folks here got tired of you complaining. Re-read your comment above and think about it. You threaten to buy a new phone if you had to start over? My phone as a daily driver is too precious to get to that decision point (it'd be easy to make that decision with toilet paper, but it's not toilet paper).

I signed up for a preview program, many people, including the folks at MS (Gabe) recommend a hard reset - I was warned and take that risk to run this on my main phone and accept the many hours of downtime to get it up and running whenever a new build comes out. I also understand that this will not be the case for W10M once it is released. If I didn't want to do this I would go back to WP8.1 update 2 and patiently wait.

I am going to repeat this: This is YOUR choice

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss