New update for 830 and now I lost my data connection!

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I was at dinner about an hour ago and got a notification on my 830 that a new update was available. I got a little excited because the 830 hasn't seen an update for quite a while. So I installed it while we were eating dinner. Install went fine as far as I could tell, until we got in the car. I couldn't get MixRadio to work, no data connection and to make sure I had cellular data turned on. I checked and data is turned on. I noticed that there is no longer the LTE symbol at the top left. Weird. So I tried a soft reset, still no data. I tried turning the data off and then turned the phone off. Turned the phone on then turned data on, still nothing. So no I don't have any data. Awesome. I'm pretty sick of the updates on everything just f*&king everything up. This is why MS sucks!

Here is my phone info from the About page in settings:
Model: NOKIA Lumia 830
Carrier: AT&T
Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update
OS Version: 8.10.14219.341
Firmware Revision Number: 02179.00000.15213.43037

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I was at dinner about an hour ago and got a notification on my 830 that a new update was available. I got a little excited because the 830 hasn't seen an update for quite a while. So I installed it while we were eating dinner. Install went fine as far as I could tell, until we got in the car. I couldn't get MixRadio to work, no data connection and to make sure I had cellular data turned on. I checked and data is turned on. I noticed that there is no longer the LTE symbol at the top left. Weird. So I tried a soft reset, still no data. I tried turning the data off and then turned the phone off. Turned the phone on then turned data on, still nothing. So no I don't have any data. Awesome. I'm pretty sick of the updates on everything just f*&king everything up. This is why MS sucks!

Here is my phone info from the About page in settings:
Model: NOKIA Lumia 830
Carrier: AT&T
Software: Windows Phone 8.1 Update
OS Version: 8.10.14219.341
Firmware Revision Number: 02179.00000.15213.43037
You do not have the latest update for the Lumia 830 on AT&T. Navigate to Settings>phone updates and check for an update. You probably got a configuration update so your phone is in between updates which might be messing some stuff up. Lumia Denim and Update 2 are available for your phone which should clear your problems up. They're great updates and feature some amazing camera improvements, and a revamped Settings menu.

Remember, this is not Microsoft's fault. Technology never has a 100% success rate, not even for companies like Apple. There are always bad apples. The best thing to do is to find workarounds for your issues, updates to solve them, live with them, or do a factory reset on your device. Do not be so ignorant as to believe this only happens to Windows Phones or that it happens all the time.

Kimberly Dougherty

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My sister in PA is having the same issue. Plus she can't send/receive MMS and her email isn't sending either. I've had her do a hard reset and not checking to see if there is another update... I don't live near her so I can't go help her out... My niece also did the update (both on ATT and both have 830 -- in fact they were purchased at the same time) and her's went fine.

Any help on how to fix this would be great!

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Figured it out. Had to "dis-enroll" from Preview for developers in order for the phone to find the next update. Next update is installing now.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Installed the next update but that didn't fix it, still not data connection. Is this more of an OS thing or could it be and ATT thing? Either way its super frustrating!

Noam Bonnie

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
After I disable Preview for Devs, I got another update too. And that didn't solve it. I noticed when I went back to the "Update Phone" settings it said that there was connectivity issue during update installation. Not sure how to fix this.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I read in another thread that the network issues may be resolved by contacting ATT and having them reset the settings or something. I went through the troubleshooting guide on the ATT website and it was by no means helpful. I'm in the process of contacting ATT now to see if there is anything they can do on their end.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
when in doubt.... restore using the windows phone repair tool.

yes, similar to doing a hard reset, BUT the 830 should work fine after.

At this point in time, there is no use keeping preview for developers on your device. un-enroll and remove it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
depends on the staff at your AT&T store.... they may just:

1: tell you you need to swap it out and proceed to tell you how to via a phone call
2: tell you you need to swap it out and proceed to try to get you to "upgrade" to a Galaxy or iPhone, or maybe a 640
3: try a few things in the system and maybe swap your sim
4: suggest a hard reset/restore (and maybe windows phone repair tool) and check after that
5: stare at you, drool dripping from the side of their mouth

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing the exact same thing. First thing I noticed was, it looks like I have the full version of Lumia Camera now (with live photos)!.....which was really cool, until I saw that I have no data connection now, but my SMS are working fine. Not sure about calls yet. I'll be making a trip by the ATT store after work too.

G Ray 144

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I was having the exact same problem. It started on Tuesday night after my 830 (on AT&T) got a notification update and I installed it. I tried pretty much everything. Did a soft reset. Nothing. Did a hard reset and restored all my settings. This allowed me to complete the Denim update installation (over wi-fi) , but still no cellular data connection. Called AT&T and spent about 40 minutes on the phone with tech support. Lovely woman, but she couldn't figure out why I had no internet connection. Then I read in the posts here about the Preview for Developers app and getting a replacement SIM card. So first I opened the Developers app and found out I wasn't enrolled (I had enrolled previously). So I enrolled, closed it and then reopened it and unenrolled. Then I uninstalled the app. After that I turned off the phone and took out my SIM card. I then restarted the phone and ran it on wi-fi for a while without the SIM card. Interestingly, during this time, three apps that had redownloaded during my reset but had gotten stuck installing finished downloading and installed. Then I turned off the phone and put my SIM card back in and, lo and behold, my data connection was restored. Now, that said, it's entirely possible that the tech folks at AT&T figured out what my problem was and fixed it on their end (and if that's the case, it was mighty darned quick of them). But if it wasn't them and any of you are still having this problem, give this a try. What have you got to lose?

Eric Cox

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
We had this problem with my son's phone. Tried a reset, got the update again, and the problem reoccured. We just went to the AT&T store, got a new Sim, and everything is fine.

g2beastie

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Another victim of this here...thank god I found this forum. I usually feel like the only one when these type of issues with updates happen. Thank you all for sharing the solution. This is my third Windows Phone and my last...too many chances and have no hopes for the future of Windows Phone if it keeps going like this.

lonewolfe2015

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just went in to the ATT store today to look at this. They couldn't help me on the phone but when I went in the store the guy figured out that it was an APN problem. He reset my 830 to the default APN settings and it worked. Hope others get it fixed, seems like the latest updates messed it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium