Band 1 and BLU Win HD LTE

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've talked about this before, using a wearable to extend the functionality of HD LTE (or any BLU Windows Phone for that matter).

I had a Pebble and it really helped when I was driving BLU during my test run after purchasing the phone (BLU is my backup -1520 is still my go to). Pebble was fiddly to set up and also would require users to developer unlock their phone (costs a fee to get a developer registration) and then you have to sideload a hard to find app. The sideloading is why you need the dev unlock. Once complete, it worked great for notifications, but a LOT of function of Pebble was still absent like all the fitness and sleep functions. Couldn't get apps on the Pebble to load or work, watch face choice was limited too. So it was incomplete, came with a hidden fee and had a tech know how threshold to overcome. I really could not recommend Pebble too much or two widely, especially as it isn't clear how Pebble will take to Win 10 Mo (just check the Pebble forum here). Don't get me wrong, anyone who can get a Pebble and hook it up is definitely getting something. I just felt there should be more.

Enter Band. I think we all know that for Windows Phone, Band is going to offer the most complete package. Half Smart Watch, half Fitness Band: the Microsoft Band packs in a lot of function and usefulness for those loyal to this platform. I got a Band 1 just over a month ago and have been using it with my 1520. It's been very worthwhile and I'm glad I made the move, it offers me a lot of great function and many use scenarios.

Now I'm back on the BLU Win HD LTE to test drive it alongside Band. For what it is worth, Band 1 is coming down in price. $129 seems to be the norm now, but also spot sales are showing for as little as $99. As I write this, Band 1 is on sale for $99 at Microsoft Store (and maybe other places) so you may want to check it out. Remember that this device was $199 with some spot sales of $149 not too long ago. Buy Microsoft Band: Microsoft Band, Apps and Accessories - Microsoft Store

I know people using BLU are likely on a budget, so I think Band 1 is a real value added package for the price and BLU users may want to get in. Compare that to $99 for a Fitbit Flex or a half working Pebble or $249 for Band 2 and you start to see what a solid deal Band 1 has now become.

So I formatted and loaded a dedicated microSD for my BLU, inserted it along with my nanoSIM in a micro adapter and fired up my safety yellow HD LTE last night and got my Band paired and connected. Admittedly it was a bit of a chore, but to be fair Band is reportedly a bit of a pain to swap between phones in any regard. I think I've got it humming along though.

Here is what I expect to get out of the Band/BLU pairing:
  • Glance on steroids - Band delivers a ton of notifications to your wrist with outstanding detail.
  • SensorCore functions and then some - No SensorCore on BLU? No worries. Band now has that covered and the Health App has come alive with detail. Steps, GPS walk/run/bike. Heart Rate monitoring. Sleep monitoring. Workout tracking. Very nice and beats SensorCore alone (which I've been using for some time on 1520) by a long way.
  • Hey Cortana - That's right. You heard me. And so will Cortana. There is an Action button you can press to activate Cortana from your Band and she will then take Voice Commands.
  • Fitness tracking - I'm not getting any younger and being able to track activities is becoming very helpful and something of a requirement. Even the basic step counter from my 1520 was sorely missed when I was on BLU. I know this is a bit redundant with the second point, but I feel it is worth stressing. If you've not had a phone with SensorCore you really are missing out and now you won't have to.
I thought I'd start this thread to have a mini journal of how it is going and to help answer any questions users might have. Thanks for looking in.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I just set a geofenced reminder with Cortana on my Band without pulling my HD LTE out of my pocket.

I've also checked my Calendar on Band to ascertain my next appointment (tomorrow) and seen several notifications from email and Cortana.

Gotta love the 21st century.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I loved the Band...my skin didn't...hoping the Band 2 is better. I'm wearing and syncing my Misfit Shine currently with my HD LTE currently.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping an eye on the battery situation. It went pretty quick yesterday. I'm trying to see if it is an anomaly or a trend.

We have BT 4.0, can anyone confirm or refute if it is LE (Low Energy)???

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
https://store.misfit.com/products/m...earch - Misfit Branding&utm_term=misfit shine

How is compatibility on that compared to the big 2?

Do you like the blinky light system? That's what held me back from ever getting FitBit Flex.

I do like the Shine / Flash (I have both) for the simplicity of it...I haven't taken it off in weeks...waterproof, monitors sleep automatically, can be triggered (with a triple-tap) for a specific activity.

Where Misfit fails us is that even though it syncs now, it doesn't upload to the online dashboard at my.misfit.com. The Android & Apple apps do. I never really use that, so every couple of weeks, I'll drag out the old HTC One and sync with it.

Misfit knows their WP app isn't great, and said they're working on, so I take that to mean a Windows/WM10 universal app, but we'll see.

The lights are nice actually...double tap, and there's your progress & time of day. Pretty easy..I'll likely pick up a Shine 2 once they fix their app. Functional, and not a huge deal its lost...heck, the Flash is only $29 or less. I got them for $22.50 last Christmas season, Shine's were under $50.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When I had the Band...I got a sold 24 hours out of it. I changed it at my office desk for 30 mins each day and it worked well. So, if you're getting that from it, then I'd say your right on target.

I can't find any specs that point to it being BT 4.0LE. My HTC 8XT doesn't have LE, and it worked great, very little drop in charge, so I think you just might need to give it some time. There were some guides on how to extend battery life...and I'm pretty sure I did that on the Band.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday's battery drain was more in line with what I normally expect to see on BLU Win HD LTE, almost 2 days, but not quite. So I guess the first full day was an anomaly. I must have used the BLU/Band more than I thought. I'll chalk it up to heavier than normal browsing since I was away from my PC most of the day, but still checked in here on mobile IE. I also was on the road for a one hour trip each way out into the country and we all know what signal search does to battery.

So far, I don't see any quirks or glitches to show BLU has a Bluetooth issue. It seems to stay connected and I get my Toast sent out to the Band in a speedy manner. If I walk away from my phone and come back (even past the 30') I have no problems with seamless integration. In other words I'm never forced to reestablish a connection.

Everything is going great so far.

Questions? Anyone?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery situation is stable on the BLU. I guess I just forgot how much certain tasks suck up battery on this baby. I'm a bit spoiled by 1520's deep battery.

I enjoy my time on BLU, but it ain't my 1520... If no one has any pointed questions for me to research, I'll be switching back to the Beast Phone[SUP]TM[/SUP] soon.

I'll still monitor this thread though and stand by to assist.

Let me say this: having gotten used to Band on 1520 for about a month and then swapping in the HD LTE, I've not missed a beat. The addition of instant detailed notifications, fitness tracking and voice command to the BLU has really leveled the playing field and made the BLU feel more premium in the UX department.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I will say this, while I like the Blu, I may be switching to a tmobile 640. Putting the two side by side and running them through their paces, the 640 is more responsive and doesn't have some of the quirks that the Blu does. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I type much better on the 640, the swipe up after unlocking works 100% of the time...on the Blu its more like 60%, a lot of time, I'm swiping up twice...never on the 640.

The Blu has more screen real estate and I like the look, feel, design better, but it just misses where it shouldn't...I'm not sure how else to describe it. I'm not one of those pouters about how WM is behind the times etc, but WP on this Blu device just doesn't run like it does on the Lumia or my old HTC 8XT...

(fully realize I went slightly off topic from the Band, but your comments on the 1520 vs. the Blu had me venting I guess.)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After many times of wandering past the 640 GoPhone at Walmart for $60 and reaching out for it every time... I finally cured myself. I most sincerely doubt that 640 GoPhone will ever see Win 10 Mo official. Whereas the BLU is promised. That makes a big difference to me as I'm not sure my 1520.3 will see an official OTA either. I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade to official somewhere at least.

Here's hoping T-Mo doesn't leave you out in the cold.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
After many times of wandering past the 640 GoPhone at Walmart for $60 and reaching out for it every time... I finally cured myself. I most sincerely doubt that 640 GoPhone will ever see Win 10 Mo official. Whereas the BLU is promised. That makes a big difference to me as I'm not sure my 1520.3 will see an official OTA either. I'm looking forward to getting the upgrade to official somewhere at least.

Here's hoping T-Mo doesn't leave you out in the cold.

Well, we didn't buy the AT&T Go phone, purchased the T-Mobile branded 640 for $99 so that Wi-Fi calling works, etc. Its possible it could be skipped, and that's fine...it'll either go to the Insider Program then, or move on to the 950...they're bridge phones (including the Blu) until the 950 comes out, and the reviews come in...then we'll see if my wife and I stay on WM or move to something else...I'm not super emotional over the OS wars...

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
One of them is shutting off to save power. Band does it when the battery gets below a certain point...never heard of BT on the phone shutting off or sleeping after a certain period.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How goes BLU and BAND? My wife keeps complaining that they get disconnected. Notifications works for awhile and then stops.
Tried resetting band. Happened on WP8.1 and now Win10.

Any ideas/tips?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...band-my-blu-win-hd-lte-get-along.html?mn_qa=1

I never had many discontinuity issues.

Both devices are up for sale now so I'm not actively using either.

I had both Band and BLU going together for 2 separate one month (or slightly longer) periods, if I remember correctly. I also ran Band with my 1520. Both phones were on 8.1 and I used Band steady for 5 months between the two phones.

I would occasionally have dropped sync between Band and phone if I left the phone sitting somewhere and wore Band beyond the BT radius of 30', but that was not even consistent. The drops were so anomalous that was the only thing I could attribute them to. And they always paired back up when the range came back to tolerance. Later I would notice the dropped notifications. Resync with Health seemed to solve it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos