950 xl confirmed with WiFi calling?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am strongly considering my return back tmobile. However there is absolutely no point in doing so if the 950s don't have wifi calling. I heard wifi calking was being supported in windows 10 but then at the same time tmobile isn't carrying it so idk what to think/do at the moment.

Im currently using an unlocked 640 xl with att go phone

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
any carrier who implements

That's the operative phrase. Carrier Implementation. Baked in is fine, but the Carrier needs to support it still.

T-Mo has shown favoritism to their branded phones with WiFi calling in the past. The exact phone as a branded one, but factory unlocked, was barred from downloading their proprietary WiFi calling App in the past. I'm not sure how they will treat a baked in solution from Microsoft. Like Apple? C'mon ahead! Or the way they have always done. Even the Nexus series only gets WiFi calling on T-Mo with a branded ROM.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, that's why I said "standard" - if it's a non-standard proprietary thing, then no way.
But that's all there is, proprietary. WiFi calling is a form of VoIP and requires infrastructure by a carrier. The client portions could be a standard but I haven't heard if there is one. And even if there is, the carrier can choose to withhold it for some customers.

Last edited:

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The exact phone as a branded one, but factory unlocked, was barred from downloading their proprietary WiFi calling App in the past.

That is not why wi-fi calling didn't work on non-Tmo WP phones. The app is just one small part of the total picture technically. I get that it's the most visible part, but even if you could have downloaded it, you would not have had functional wi-fi calling.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So what was different between an ATT or an International 925 and a T-Mo 925?

Honestly curious.

That is a good question, If I was to hazard a guess T-Mo ROMs have unique identifiers or signatures embedded for authentication plus the tie into the dialler and SMS app. So when you said call / sms over WiFi they are amalgamated into one place, but that is just a guess.

I'm curious if anyone has tried to force deploy the xap or side load it?

Whereas in the UK and I imagine most places they use the identifier in the sim. As that would explain why we can download and have access to the O2 store for example on a unlocked and unbranded phone. Plus sending SMS or calling over Wi Fi using the carriers apps does not tie into the Dialler and SMS since the history resides in the app only.

So for instance you had hard reset your phone - history lost; never the less I have never been a fan of this as you still pay the standard rate or have calls / texts deducted from your allowance even if you use your own Wi Fi {broadband internet connection}.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read here that someone said that the latest Windows Mobile 10 release now supported Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile. I guess that could be some left overs from the 8.1 upgrade or a T-Mobile special supported build, but I thought most builds of WM10 were pretty vanilla, which might imply the base OS can now support this via VoWiFi.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read here that someone said that the latest Windows Mobile 10 release now supported Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile. I guess that could be some left overs from the 8.1 upgrade or a T-Mobile special supported build, but I thought most builds of WM10 were pretty vanilla, which might imply the base OS can now support this via VoWiFi.

It's possible that if wifi calling is enabled in windows 10 mobile, it might still be dependent on the underlying firmware. I have an unlocked, unbranded 830 with latest preview release with a T-mobile SIM and I don't have an option to set up wifi calling that I can see. However, if I were to do the same thing with, say, a t-mobile branded 640 perhaps it would be there?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
is wifi calling different than skype calling, messenger calling, or WhatsApp calling?
WeFi calling is for when you have no carrier bars but have WiFi and want to talk to someone. I wouldn't be surprised if some or all those others aren't the same in that respect.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
WeFi calling is for when you have no carrier bars but have WiFi and want to talk to someone. I wouldn't be surprised if some or all those others aren't the same in that respect.

So basically VOIP, then why is everyone craving for it :S it seems like a normal thing to me. all phones have VOIP, one way or another.

unless the other end doesn't have to have internet. then it makes things more interesting. although also Skype can do that, nut not all VOIP apps can.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So basically VOIP, then why is everyone craving for it :S it seems like a normal thing to me. all phones have VOIP, one way or another.

unless the other end doesn't have to have internet. then it makes things more interesting. although also Skype can do that, nut not all VOIP apps can.
I don't know about now, but a few years ago developers were saying WP didn't allow them to write VOIP apps. Something to do with not being able to respond to things while in the background.

And WiFi calling does NOT require the other party to have internet. It comes to them like any phone call.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have wifi calling on my 635 that I got from T-Mobile.

Yes, things have been dicey in the past in this regard. Not buying from T-Mo generally meant you didn't get the feature.

That's beginning to change, but it's still prudent to triple check on this. For example, the Blackberry Priv just came out--and T-Mobile announced that the unlocked version will in fact support Band 12, VoLTE, and wifi calling. I expect the same to be true of the 950 family, but I won't put my money down until and unless that's verified.

For those wondering, wifi calling means switching back and forth from cellular to wifi and using the same voice infrastructure across the two. It's completely different than Skype or Google Hangouts.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

The WiFi calling is native call services (voice, SMS, MMS etc) over wifi..so it's more than your typical VoIP app. Your phone works just as it would over the cellular radio except it just happens to actually use the wifi connection as the carrier. There's a lot of sekrit-soss stuff going on under the hood with IP encapsulation and integration into the cell network for call handoff to "real" cell towers that makes it non-trivial to implement without specific firmware hooks being present.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The WiFi calling is native call services (voice, SMS, MMS etc) over wifi..so it's more than your typical VoIP app. Your phone works just as it would over the cellular radio except it just happens to actually use the wifi connection as the carrier. There's a lot of sekrit-soss stuff going on under the hood with IP encapsulation and integration into the cell network for call handoff to "real" cell towers that makes it non-trivial to implement without specific firmware hooks being present.

Who cares, functionally, it is the same as any other VOIP service. just one baked under the hood, rather than a separate app. which is also almost there by skype.

ericloewe

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Who cares, functionally, it is the same as any other VOIP service. just one baked under the hood, rather than a separate app. which is also almost there by skype.
You have clearly missed the point so eloquently made by the other posters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon