Returning to WP -questions on the 1520

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of returning from Android to a Windows Phone, currently have an LG G4, had a note 4 before that, like big phones, had an L930 and L640 before, really miss the Live tiles and pin anything UI on WP.

But I notice on these size comparison sites, the 1520 is Humongous, enormous and over 200g, like the idea, but is it completely unpractical for everyday in and out your pocket type phone. I liked the L930 and the screen, but it was just a little on the small size, being a 6ft1 guy, i really don't like the tiny iphone 6 type size.

On another note, will windows phone 10 update, screw up this phone for future use? sorry been out of the WP world so a bit behind on the development of this.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Windows 10 Mobile is looking fantastic right now and I've heard a ton of good reports from Lumia 1520 and Lumia 930 owners. The Lumia 930 is a great phone but the Lumia 1520 has a better screen and microSD card support, and in my eyes that makes it superior. It's obviously a very large phone but you get used to it fast.
However, you should definitely take a look at the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL. They have some pretty great hardware and have screen sizes of 5.2 inches and 5.7 inches so take your pick. I would go for the 950 XL personally.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Far to expensive the new 950 and especially the XL, and really not interested in the latest and greatest, even the 930 runs smoother than anything android has to offer, so no need for the 950 for me. Perhaps I need to have a look at a 1520 physically, just no where has them to try out, well not in the UK, unless you can find one in a second hand store like CEX.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
well I can say that windows 10 mobile (W10M) has so far shown a lot of improvement. especially with universal apps. (apps which intergrate phone pc tablet). Cortana is doing well and searches and features are getting much better. on another thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-insider-preview/391025-34.htm#post3277057

with the latest update, a lot of persons are stating how well the 1520 works with the latest build. but be sure if you get the 1520 to read a few threads about how to get everything going proper. usual advice is make sure you download your languages, keyboards, glance screen, Lumia camera and update system apps first while on 8.1, backup that, then do an update to 10581/latest update.
but as said before the 950/XL are a few weeks away. you may want to take a look at those as well. continuum isn't practical for many people here, but nonetheless is a nice feature to have just in case. if you haven't heard, continuum is a feature where you plug your phone, keyboard and mouse (can be wireless for the mouse and keyboard) into a dock and also a tv/screen and it "becomes" a full fledge PC (though a bit limited). great for going on family vacations or being away from a traditional PC while on the move. as I said not practical but can be useful.
hope this helps in your decision.

rosenr9286t

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the 1520 on and off since it came out well over a year ago, and anything much smaller seems like a toy. I have to admit that I've never carried my phones in my trousers pocket. Always in a jacket or bag. I do switch back and forth with my Note 4, mainly for the stylus functionality and certain apps not available on WP. I'm on 8.1, and don't plan to upgrade until the official release (for the time being I have to stay on Windows 8.1 on the PC as we use a software package that does not yet have Windows 10 functionality).

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro