Why do I keep losing photos - Lumia 640?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why do I keep losing photos - Lumia 640

Im enjoying my Lumia 640 but i have a recurring issue that is ruining it for me. I bought a Samsung 32gb micro sd for it. I took many photos on the phone over a month or so. Then randomly a group of them will just appear as black/grey squares. They still appear in the camera roll but there is no picture. The first time it happened I moved all pictures to my laptop and formatted the card whilst in the phone. Today i have noticed it has done it again and a group of 20 or so pictures in the camera roll have turned to blank squares. I have put them onto my laptop. The blank pictures still have a file size that i would expect but no picture. When i try to open these files on the laptop windows 10 tells me it cant open this type of file, despite the fact they are windows phone jpegs just like the ones that do ope., very confusing. Could it just be a bad SD card? Any help appreciated as ive lost some nice pictures of the kids on days out etc..

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why do I keep losing photos - Lumia 640

What camera app do you use on the phone?

I've noticed this on the new windows 10 mobile camera, so I am using the Lumia camera app.

In my case there was nothing I could do with those photos, as they were corrupt, regardless of the file type being correct.

One thing to check is whether you have the automatic picture backup turned on and see if those pictures exist on your onedrive.

cocobanana

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi, logged on now as this user. Im using the Lumia camera app, not sure if my 640 is 8.1 or 10 to be honest. My other half has a Lumia 635 with the identical memory card I bought and has no problems at all. Anyone else?? Im going to start carrying my camera as I just dont trust it to keep my pics...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It is possible that you have received a defective memory card. I, too, have a Lumia 640. I had purchased a 64GB microSD card, and kept losing everything on it. I contacted support for the manufacturer, and they stepped me through some tests with it, and had me return it to them. They issued me a replacement for which I have had no issues. They even sent me a prepaid shipping label so that I didn't have to pay for shipping, but I'm not sure if Samsung does that or not, as I have no experience with them.

If its been within a certain time period, you may be able to exchange it at the place you purchased it as a defective item if it was purchased at a brick and mortar store, depending on their policy.

I'm not saying for sure it is a defective memory card, but it sounds like it could be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte