Why does my Lumia 930 make tinkling noises like a harp when I put it in my pocket?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why does my lumia 930 make tinkling noises like a harp when i put it in my pocket

at least 5 notes

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does my lumia 930 make tinkling noises like a harp when i put it in my pocket

Like, every time? Are you sure it is not just coincidence that a notification came in just as you were pocketing the phone?

Is there something in the pocket that could be connecting to active NFC on your 930?

If you need to add additional information or want to post additional questions, please join the site so you can see the reply button and continue the conversation in the same thread you originally made.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why does my lumia 930 make tinkling noises like a harp when i put it in my pocket

The 5 notes sounds like an NFC tag trying to connect. I'm with RumoredNow on that one. Could be an unformatted NFC tag perhaps. Perhaps you have an NFC keychain that hasn't been set up yet.

Mindimin

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. No it does not happen every time. I look for notifications on the tiles but don't find anything. I don't what an NFC is
be it unformatted or chained. I am not very tech savvy. My debit card is usually in the same pocket

Thank you

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My debit card is usually in the same pocket

If that's one of those debit cards you can "touch" to certain types of card machines instead of swipe, then THAT is the issue. NFC is near Field communications, and many credit and debit cards use it, as do many smart phones and several of the Lumia models.

Try placing your debit card against the back of your phone, and move it around to cover the entire area of the phone and see if the "tinkling" noise is triggered. If so, you've found the culprit. Report back, and I'll help you disable it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same. Its nothing to do with a debit card, its a pocket placement notification. The infuriating thing is I don't know how to turn it off.

That's not it, my 930 has no "pocket placement" notifications and I suspect that no other 930 does either. That tone is for NFC, not specifically a debit card but anything that uses NFC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos