AT&T Lumia 640 Price Drop - $59 - My Quest

DSR11

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I thought I would post a simple log of my quest for a Lumia 640 since it got pushed to the side by Tmobile a couple months ago. I was looking to upgrade my Lumia 810 that has been an amazing phone for the last 2 years, but recently has had problems charging.

Since news broke that TMobile stopped offering it soon after it began (less than 2 months) in June, I began looking for other ways to obtain it.

I wanted to stay with TMobile, but they no longer sold it. So I looked for other ways. AT&T, and MetroPCS also have it as well, and it seems it was sold in Walmart and Bestbuy. However Bestbuy only sold the AT&T version, and Walmart only sold the Tmobile version.

So long story short, I went to 2 different Walmarts near me in NJ, and found they no longer had the TMobile Lumia 640 in stock, and a quick search of other stores found it to be out of stock. I was crushed. What was I to do?

I was about to buy it through Bestbuy, but it was the AT&T version for $79. Maybe I could get it unlocked I thought, and after a little googling, I see the process looks relatively simple, and if not, then I will have to move my account and number to AT&T.

A few days later I noticed there was a price drop on the AT&T Lumia 640 down to $59! I thought, WOW what a great deal! So I checked Walmart and they had the price drop as well. BINGO I thought.

So I went and purchased it for $59. I followed the instructions exactly to get it unlocked, and submitted my request. I waited 2 days and of course...I hit a roadblock. My request gets cancelled. After contacting AT&T, I found that I have to wait 2 whole weeks from the date of purchase BEFORE I can submit a request. 2 whole weeks....

So I'm counting down the days that I can submit a new request, and pop in my faithful TMOBILE SIM...
...9 days and counting.

Anyone have a similar story?

geekfiredog

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Never heard of the 2 weeks waiting period to request for unlock code! When you said "cancelled", do you mean "Rejected"? One key learning is DO NOT power on the phone before getting the unlock code - or at least remove the included AT&T SIM card if you still want to power on the phone to try out.
no issues for me on unlock request - submitted my request the following day after I bought the phone, and got the unlock code the following working day!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine is on order....

Hopefully I should be able to collect it, request the unlock code and unlock it before you're 9 days are up. So. We'll See :)

DSR11

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Never heard of the 2 weeks waiting period to request for unlock code! When you said "cancelled", do you mean "Rejected"? One key learning is DO NOT power on the phone before getting the unlock code - or at least remove the included AT&T SIM card if you still want to power on the phone to try out.
no issues for me on unlock request - submitted my request the following day after I bought the phone, and got the unlock code the following working day!

Yes, I dunno why. butI called , and the indian lady on the phone told me I have to wait. I asked why, and that others were able to get a unlock code the day after, and she goes 'oh but sir, this is the reason it was cancelled, you will have to wait 2 weeks.'

Should I just submit another request?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro