[Reviews on the web] Videos And Pics Taken With The 950xl

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
well came across these...what do you guys think?

Video/Pics good/great light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa5UKsk_3Ko

Low Light Conditions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMdW22fgXYw

950xl vs LG G4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHW-PvdNiHU

950xl vs Xperia Z5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIwrrmplqY

take this with a pinch of salt....the last video did not come from the same source as the first 3....I cant verify the authenticity of any of the above videos
credits to :AllAboutWindowsPhone and both video uploaders

Last edited:

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. Looks like a worthy upgrade from my 1020.

Interesting comparison between the G4 and the 950XL though. In the first batch of videos, I think I still like the G4 better... the white balance seemed to be better and the entire frame was maybe about 1/3 1/2 stop brighter. The stills on the other hand... 950xl had the clear advantage. G4 pics all seemed to have an odd blue hue to them. Then back to the low light videos, I think the white balance on the G4 was better than the Lumia.

They really do seem neck and neck though. Things like exposure and white balance can easily be corrected and it's difficult to judge from this particular comparison which one is actually better.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
cant view the youtube videos - are the photos embedded into the video?
where does the reference to AAWP (allaboutwindowsphone) come from? i checked their site and theres nothing there...

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
n the first batch of videos, I think I still like the G4 better... the white balance seemed to be better and the entire frame was maybe about 1/3 1/2 stop brighter.

My thoughts exactly. Out of all the new camera features, It's the white balance that I was really looking to see if they had improved on.

Makes me miss the Nokia 808 more.

Think I will hold on to the 1020 for now and wait for more in depth comparison reviews.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. Out of all the new camera features, It's the white balance that I was really looking to see if they had improved on.

Makes me miss the Nokia 808 more.

Think I will hold on to the 1020 for now and wait for more in depth comparison reviews.

Have the 808 Pureview and still use it as my daily camera of choice - keep it my pocket along side the Lumia 520 which is my daily driver phone...
Never jumped to the 1020; but likely will to the 950XL

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Have the 808 Pureview and still use it as my daily camera of choice - keep it my pocket along side the Lumia 520 which is my daily driver phone...
Never jumped to the 1020; but likely will to the 950XL

Yeah I do regret selling off the 808 when I purchased the 1020 (over 2 years ago!).

I'm not very knowledgeable with the technical stuff, but can the 950 / 950XL improve the white balance using updated imaging algorithms?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I do regret selling off the 808 when I purchased the 1020 (over 2 years ago!).

I'm not very knowledgeable with the technical stuff, but can the 950 / 950XL improve the white balance using updated imaging algorithms?

The sensor is much improved from the 1020 by all accounts... as its a newer sensor all around, just a smaller MP and of course smaller pixel sizes.
The white balance should be something the imaging team at Microsoft could modify or revise in future firmware updates to the phone or with Lumia camera updates...
I expect good things from these cameras... Juha - head of imaging at Microsoft - has said this is the best camera he has worked on... and he was part of the 808 and 1020 teams...

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The whole point of having a good camera as part of a smartphone is so that you can say goodbye to carrying a secondary device of any sort for taking every day social media pictures and informal snapshots, etc. The 1020 has served me well in that capacity, but I don't really care if it is slightly better than the 950 xl camera in this scenario or that, I'm only carrying one device and the 950 xl will be it.

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The whole point of having a good camera as part of a smartphone is so that you can say goodbye to carrying a secondary device of any sort for taking every day social media pictures and informal snapshots, etc. The 1020 has served me well in that capacity, but I don't really care if it is slightly better than the 950 xl camera in this scenario or that, I'm only carrying one device and the 950 xl will be it.

That is why I upgraded to the 1020.

Even though the 808 had the better sensor, I didn't want to carry a second device so that I can get an improved OS and updated features.

It was always said by ex Nokia imaging head Damian Dinning that the updated algorithms on the 1020 would make it a worthy upgrade from the 808 - pretty much like what we are seeing here when comparing the 1020 to the 950 / 950XL.

With that said, I'm still very much hoping for a true new imaging phone that will jump way ahead of it's competitors (i.e. a 1020 successor) or new technology like what Pureview did with the 808.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That is why I upgraded to the 1020.

Even though the 808 had the better sensor, I didn't want to carry a second device so that I can get an improved OS and updated features.

It was always said by ex Nokia imaging head Damian Dinning that the updated algorithms on the 1020 would make it a worthy upgrade from the 808 - pretty much like what we are seeing here when comparing the 1020 to the 950 / 950XL.

With that said, I'm still very much hoping for a true new imaging phone that will jump way ahead of it's competitors (i.e. a 1020 successor) or new technology like what Pureview did with the 808.

I highly doubt you will see a 1020 successor. When Nokia was developing the 808 and 1020, you couldn't get a flagship smartphone with a decent camera. Now you can. If you want a professional camera, with the ability to attach to a tripod, change f-stops and attach various lenses and filters, then you will continue to get a DSLR for the foreseeable future. If you want a quality smartphone with a built-in camera comparable to the 1020, you now have a variety of options. Just who would be the target market for a 1020 successor?

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I never saw the phone. How do we know these are actuality from the phone, because it's on the internet is not an answer.

We don't. All leaks like this are to be taken with a grain of salt.

You want logical comparisons, give it a week or two, they'll be here. I have a feeling it will probably be compared to the z5 alot as they both have 20+ mp cameras.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

helichrysum

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the z5 compact and it is impressive in both imaging and video. However, it's way too laggy even for Android and heats up especially fast. Also, as with the g4, some of the image processing in the z5 goes too far making the images look very unnatural. When you zoom in it looks like an oil painting. Nothing like I ever experienced with icon and hopefully with my XL that's on order. I became so fed up with z5, I purchased the moto x pure. While the imaging is just so so, the video on this is better than any phone I've ever seen. It's absolutely incredible and where it's nearly stock Android it's much smoother than z5 or g4. Not Windows smooth but pretty slick nonetheless.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Presuming the samples are form the 950 XL.

The G4 has a bluer undertone and the 950 XL has a warmer tone.

Also both the samples don't have the zoom / magnification.

Beyond that can't say much as I'd rather see the raw files.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The unboxing and reviews of the 950 are going up today here is the verges.

[h=6]GOOD STUFF[/h]
  • Sharp display
  • Fast performance
  • Reliable camera

[h=6]BAD STUFF[/h]
  • Price is too high for what it is
  • Cheap materials
  • Boring design
  • Weak app support

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics