Freaky 950 laying flat glitch!!

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So this could be a device defect in my phone. But I've notice when I put it down on a table or any flat surface the screen becomes extremely unresponsive. It's weird!!! What could this be??? Something with wireless charging? Is anyone else having this problem?

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes phones do become unresponsive when they are charging. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has occurred a few times with my Nexus 5X.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. Your comment asking if it had something to do with wireless charging led me to believe it happened while it was charging. Hopefully it's just an isolated occurrence.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the camera ring is pushing into the phone causing the screen to become unresponsive...why or how? I have no clue.

The weight of the phone (150 grams) would not be enough to cause any damage. Unless you jumped on it or dropped something on it, it would be impossible for the camera ring to push into the screen.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I might try that. I don't want to right now because I've just spent the last 5 hours setting this thing up and I really don't want to delete everything.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think a hard reset is going to be your best bet. When I got my 822 the screen stuttered badly when I scrolled. I thought for sure it was a problem with my phone specifically, but then I hard reset it and it was buttery smooth. Best of luck!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you do only step one from that reset list and then start it as usual, you'll have done a forced reboot. That sometimes resolves issues. Worth a shot before the full reset.

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
This is a common problem with my Lumia Icon. It happens with both Windows 8.1 and also 10. Laying flat, most touches don't register at all. It's a little disappointing it's also a problem on the 950

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
It's a common issue with the Icon, as shakermaker41 mentioned above. I have the same issue with my 930. If laying flat, I can't pull down the notification center. However, if you simply place a finger on the side of the phone (on the metal edge), without even taking it in your hands, then the screen becomes responsive. Could be a conductivity issue of some sort.

Now, is this an issue or a defect? let's see. However, I was disappointed when I noticed issues from the 920 transferred to the 930 like they didn't learn from their mistakes. Now, if they are doing the same with the 950... Considering that I have a lot of issues with 3G/4G or wifi connectivity on my 930 which leads me to reboot my phone everyday... I wish the 950/950XL are a little more reliable in that regards for people who are going to purchase it.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like gyroscope issue or maybe it's intended since the phone has wireless charging. I've experienced that issue with phone set have wireless charging built-in, not just Windows Phone Android is well. Hey can be fixed with a simple software update. Again, it can be intentional for charging purposes.

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a common problem with my Lumia Icon. It happens with both Windows 8.1 and also 10. Laying flat, most touches don't register at all. It's a little disappointing it's also a problem on the 950

My GF and I had the same issue with our Icons after it got the denim update. It never went away even with hard resets. I agree this is disappointing.

Mainly, if the phone was laying down, it was difficult to pull down the notification center. I would have to tilt the phone up a little bit to get it to pull down.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
i think it could be a conductivity thing - perhaps with the "metal" ring? and now that you have said you have a screen cover also...
did you mean to say the cover is glass or that you have a cover that is covering the glass?

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it sounds like you have a combination of things going on.

First, the camera hump is one of the few points on contact to your table. That essentially means that your touch sensitivity will be a little compromised as many areas on the screen surface don't have a solid foundation. When you hold your phone in your hand, you're evenly distributing the contact surface, thus eliminating that situation in-hand.

Second, yes, the glass protector adds to the "problem," as we're adding even more cushion. Compounding with the first factor, I have a situation just like this with my Surface 3 if I use it on my bed. Because my bed is soft, touches don't register unless I use a little more pressure because of that lack of foundation.

I hope this is all it is in your case. That camera ring is pretty big, so that would be my first theory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss