I am a proud Lumia 1520 owner. Should I buy 950XL?

nynamyna

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I love my Lumia 1520.3. Its an amazing phone. I am using the latest build of windows 10 and I love it. Here are the reasons why I want to switch to Lumia 950XL

1. Continuum- I can connect mouse and keyboard to my lumia 1520 and connect to a monitor using the wireless adapter. I can still use edge and outlook. This will be close to continum right?
2. I will miss Windows Hello provided it works properly
3. Latest camera. I am not sure how good the camera is when compared to Lumia 1520
4. Light weight and removable battery
5. New accessories which I can change.
6. New hardware that is optimized for Windows10

Is there anything else I am missing? What will I miss if I don't switch?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've pre-ordered a 950XL, can't really argue with how awesome it is, even when I do love my 1520 so much....

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a very tough call. I keep wobbling back and forth on it.

Myself, if I did cave (since 1520 still retains whole bunches of awesome sauce) I would probably get a 950. In the long run I trust the SD 808 more than the 810.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
If you're happy with your phone you might want to wait a while. I'm sure the early 950s are going to be totally buggy and have lots of problems so just let everyone else be the guinea pigs. They will probably get better after a few months. I bought an early production1520 and it has been a total piece of trash. I can't wait to take a sledgehammer to it. I think it would have been ok had I waited for 6-8 months after release.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been looking at it but honestly for me I can't see anything I'd be getting with the 950 that would be worth the upgrade for me. I love the screen on my 1520. It runs quickly and smoothly with anything I throw at it. The camera is as good as the latest iPhone and Samsung. The battery life is tremendous. Don't think I'd use continuum at all. Never use front facing camera... The 1520 holds it's own amazingly well in today's crop of smartphones.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the XL and I say hold off. It's a EOL phone with g1 software just sit tight and wait for the "pro/s version" next year. :)

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
a 1520.3 owner here. I have a 950 XL on pre-order and am now waffling as to whether to pick it up next week after reading reviews of the 950. My biggest beef with the 1520 is the usual, its size. it's just slightly too big to fit front-pocket-comfortably and often has to be taken out when sitting down. The 950 XL would solve some of that, the 950 even more. Having lived with a 5" HTC One A9 for the past couple weeks I had forgotten how nice it is to have a pocket-able phone. :excited:

BTW, how many of you have put Windows 10 on your 1520? I haven't yet but now with the latest build I'm considering it. I'm afraid though I'll lose double tap to wake like my 810 did.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
a 1520.3 owner here. I have a 950 XL on pre-order and am now waffling as to whether to pick it up next week after reading reviews of the 950. My biggest beef with the 1520 is the usual, its size. it's just slightly too big to fit front-pocket-comfortably and often has to be taken out when sitting down. The 950 XL would solve some of that, the 950 even more. Having lived with a 5" HTC One A9 for the past couple weeks I had forgotten how nice it is to have a pocket-able phone. :excited:

BTW, how many of you have put Windows 10 on your 1520? I haven't yet but now with the latest build I'm considering it. I'm afraid though I'll lose double tap to wake like my 810 did.

I have the latest build on my 1520.3 and it works great. I did not lose double tap to wake. Personally I warm going for a 950. I have a small tablet and would really like to have my phone fit in pocket again.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd wait until the official Windows 10 RTM is available and run that on the L1520 for a little while.

Apparently, the current build is very close to the final and I am very happy with this build on my 1520 so far. Pretty incredible, but my 2 year old phone actually feels like a new device now! I was thinking of getting a 950 since I'm eligible for an upgrade on AT&T, but considering how strong this build is performing, I no longer will.

Cant see how practical Continuum would be for me considering how I use my device (as impractical as Cortana, which I do not use), but if that is what you NEED, then of course get it!

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I have an 1520 with 10586 and it runs well. A few bugs, but that's to be expected from a technical preview.

I also ordered a 950XL anyway, its a shame mine wont be delivered until next month - Australia is a little further behind. But I'm looking forward to it!

I don't need the 950XL, I just want it :)

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Today the case I ordered for the 950 XL arrived. It is almost the same size as the Note 4. Smaller and thinner than the 1520.
I also got a tracking number for the device today, but I did not get the express shipping.

dharmababa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
For me it was the size. I like the 1520 but it is such a beast. The 950XL is WAY lighter and a fair bit smaller which I think will make it much nicer to handle with minimal loss of screen size. Also looking forward to the Mozo case for a different look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077