Canadians! Who's got their 950 XL?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm also happy to see how active this thread has become! Spread the love guys! xD
I do have ONE friend that is a lumia/windos phone fan, he got the 930 few weeks ago

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
FYI - Yorkdale now has the demo units back on display at the 'Continuum' station.

Question - anybody upgrade from 920 to 950 XL? Would you say the upgrade is worth it? As old as the 920 is, I still don't mind it. But I would love to get a new phone but only if it's worth it. (I know 'worth it' is subjective to each person lol.. but love to hear people's personal opinion)

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
FYI - Yorkdale now has the demo units back on display at the 'Continuum' station.

Question - anybody upgrade from 920 to 950 XL? Would you say the upgrade is worth it? As old as the 920 is, I still don't mind it. But I would love to get a new phone but only if it's worth it. (I know 'worth it' is subjective to each person lol.. but love to hear people's personal opinion)

Yeah, I asked to see the demo units first before I purchased yesterday from that store. It was interesting that they're displaying the 830 and 650XL everywhere but only two 950XL... (I guess unlocked phone price does make a difference in their promotion)

And yes that would be me! I've waited 3 years for this flagship windows 10 mobile phone to finally come out, so I'd say it's definitely worth it. My L920 has been through a lot and I loved it to death, but it's about time. It had a few quite major problems: sim card sometimes disconnect randomly, front facing camera was virtually unusable because of the heavy dusts inside, and just general slow down of the phone and can't catch up to the new apps/games and even the new OS (after resets). As you mentioned, worth it or not is very subjective, but personally I would recommend anyone with 920 or 1020 (WPs around the time of 2012-2013) to upgrade to 950 or 950XL, these are great phones and truth to be told if even we don't support them, the OS is really going to slowly die away. So don't wait for the "possible" Surface Phone and get on board with the Windows 10 flagships!

Calydus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine is dual (which I like), but I can understand that a lot of people don't want that. If you're only ever going to use one sim it's kind of annoying to have to see a little number 1 on your text and dialer tiles.
you can link your phone and sms in the options so this doesn't happen.

DigitalZ

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Couple of things to ask here.

Anyone got dual sim working yet? I have Telus and Bell SIMs in the phone. If I only put one of them in they work fine including LTE. If I put both in, I can only get one of them working at a time. The second SIM goes into Emergency only mode, and if someone tries to call me they get voicemail immediately. I can even go into SIM settings and tell the phone to switch to data on the other SIM but the same thing happens. The SIM that no longer has data activated goes into emergency mode and won't allow calls. Anyone else having this problem?

Second thing. I went to Yorkdale yesterday and picked up a 950 for my wife. It has dual SIM as well. I thought only the 950 XL was dual SIM?

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Wow. I can't believe how many people have hung on to the 920 for so long. I went from the 920 to the 1020 two years ago, which was a nice upgrade in itself, but upgrading to the 950 XL (from the 1020) is a much bigger upgrade. It's slim, light and looks much more modern. I like that the face is all black as compared to my yellow 1020. Looks really sharp.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyone got dual sim working yet? I have Telus and Bell SIMs in the phone. If I only put one of them in they work fine including LTE. If I put both in, I can only get one of them working at a time. The second SIM goes into Emergency only mode, and if someone tries to call me they get voicemail immediately. I can even go into SIM settings and tell the phone to switch to data on the other SIM but the same thing happens. The SIM that no longer has data activated goes into emergency mode and won't allow calls. Anyone else having this problem?

Haven't tried using both sims yet, but I plan to. Hopefully I don't have the same problem you're having.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're not getting an L beside your carrier name the first thing you should do is .

Go to settings all.
Network and wireless.
Mobile and sim.
Scroll down to blue Sim 1 settings.
Scroll down to Mobile Operator settings.
There is an Update Settings selection just below that.
Press it.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things to ask here.

Second thing. I went to Yorkdale yesterday and picked up a 950 for my wife. It has dual SIM as well. I thought only the 950 XL was dual SIM?

If you are using both telus and rogers at the same time, you have to make the telus sim the one that uses data, because telus do not have a 2G network for the sim to connect too when the rogers sim is used as the data sim. for bell you would have to check if their 2G network is compatible with this phone.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Before I though 34 millions Canadians , only me in Canada love Lumia Windows phone , I was wrong :)))

You're several years and a 1.8 million out of date. There is a free app in the Windows Store called Population Clock you may want to download :)

Last edited:

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I can't believe how many people have hung on to the 920 for so long. I went from the 920 to the 1020 two years ago, which was a nice upgrade in itself, but upgrading to the 950 XL (from the 1020) is a much bigger upgrade. It's slim, light and looks much more modern. I like that the face is all black as compared to my yellow 1020. Looks really sharp.
You'd be surprised how many people are still on their 920 here in Canada :) It was (and still is) a beast of a phone compared to the competition (especially at it's launch time).

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The Microsoft Store at Square One (in Mississauga) has lots of 950 XL units on display now.

Unlike the Yorkdale and Eaton Centre stores, this one had lots of black and white demo units on display in addition to the Continuum display and even had a dedicated rep by the phones teaching people about 950/XL. This store was definitely pushing more for it. Very cool. I was comparing the XL beside my 920, and I didn't notice any drastic speed improvements to be honest except for the camera which was BLAZING fast. The screen on my 920 looks disgustingly bad now when I looked at it beside the 950 XL. I also couldn't believe how light it was, I was scared I was gonna drop it lol. My only issue with the 950XL vs 920 is I feel the the back material feels a bit cheaper compared to the 920's casing. I thought they were the same material, but maybe it's just a different thickness of the same material? I'm definitely gonna take the plunge and order one of these bad boys.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
For me I did enjoy the looks of 920 and 1020 it definitely stood out back in those days and maybe even today. The 950XL looks great but the whole front look is not as distinguishable as the older models I find, meaning if ppl didn't see the Microsoft logo or the back of the phone, they wouldn't know you're using a lumia/windows phone, but that's just my personal take on it, I still love the look of this phone nonetheless.

Also I think the weight of this phone is PERFECT. And by that I mean it's not heavy and it's not overly light. When I kept hearing from people how light as feather it is, I was getting a bit worried because personally I like my phone to have some weight to it so it feels more sturdy in the hand and you don't feel like you're gonna drop it by accident or crush it easily, especially being a larger-sized phone. So yeah I was pleasantly surprised by how well-balanced the weight and the size is.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
You'd be surprised how many people are still on their 920 here in Canada :) It was (and still is) a beast of a phone compared to the competition (especially at it's launch time).

Lumia 920 was and is and might still be a great phone even after three years , especially compare to and high end android released the same time as Lumia 920. Those Android phone stop function good after a year, and definitely no longer any OS/firmware updates. But We have almost the latest Win10 on Lumia. And that is why we choose to stay with WP and Lumia

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Got mine Wednesday night. They literally were opening the crate when I got there. According to them I was one of the first in that store to buy one :D.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Anybody managed to make their MMS work? I know it's a little bit off topic, but I'm Canadian, using it on Videotron, I can send MMS but can't receive it, and the carrier doesn't give any **** about it.
you cannot for the life of you get MMS to work properly on videotron, that is the same for my L1520 also, this is a problem on videotrons end and not the phone... I think. videortron CS tried every trick in the book to get MMs working on my L1520 (spent and hour!) properly and no can do!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte