Pictures + Videos Taken With My Lumia 950 XL

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If there is a "distraction" in the foreground when using autofocus is really what I'm after. Could probably have worded it better. :)

OK, so you want a foreground element that's out of focus, right? I can rack back and forth and post both the sharp near field and the sharp far field.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's a low light sample. The image doesn't look as rich as the 1020's sensor produced and even with a steady hand I'm finding it much harder to not blur in low light. The 41MP sensor on the 1020 had an effective 32MP, the rest being used for stabilization. The 950XL appears to have 16 effective MP, so the ratio is similar. I'm guessing the smaller sensor just doesn't capture as much light.
(note: I reduced the JPEG output to 3000x1688 to meet the file size requirement on the forum)
WP_20151128_19_21_24_Raw_LI.jpg

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Those are my first Lumia 950 XL shots (early morning in Turin):

WP_20151130_08_17_52_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151130_08_47_27_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151130_08_48_16_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20151130_08_54_10_Pro_LI.jpg

Simply stunning.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't able to get to Alki like I'd hoped. But here's a shot of an open span in Seattle from my building.
View attachment 117990

Thank you. I don't think Rich Capture is your friend there. When I zoom in there is quite a sharp image in the mid ground but blurring across the far reaches and edges. Even the foreground is somewhat soft.

To be fair, I struggle with this on my 1520; wanting the enhanced texture and color effect of Rich Capture while dreading the softness it lends in some use cases.

Would you be so kind? Could you do that same shot or similar without Rich Capture?

The reason I ask is that in WP 8.1 and without Rich Capture... IMHO the f/2.4 on 1520 yields such a nice hard, sharp image on just such a shot over the entire photo no matter what the screen size it is viewed on and especially when cropped in or blown up on a > 10" screen. The f/2.2 of 830 seems to duplicate this while also giving some added low light capability that 1520 lacks. I admire the 830 camera for just this reason. In contrast the f/2.0 on Lumia 928 is great at low light, but on shots such as the one above it looks very soft to me especially when cropped in or viewed on large screens.

The f/1.9 on the 950/XL would then tend to fall into the same conditions I saw on 928. Right?

I realize the algorithms on the 950 may have ameliorated the bias for my preference when compared to 928. I'd like a chance to see and the above scene is perfect for an analysis based on my personal preferences for the types of shots I tend to take most. Also, I think that shooting DNG and tweaking the files can overcome some of this as well, but that takes a lot of time post shot. I'd rather click and appreciate by and large while saving all the file tweaking for special project shots.

Honestly, my use cases for low light pics take a back seat to well lit long shots of all types of scenes and I crave that overall sharpness in a point and shoot application. Finding the easy point and shoot proof of what such shots will yield is a major factor that has kept me from deciding to go for one of the new models.

I hope this makes some sense...

onetwright

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Roughly the same shot without Rich Capture:

DNG processed (saved as TIF) with no sharpening, but some detail brought back in the shadows and some contrast adjustment to bring it out of neutral:
http://1drv.ms/1lVZUc3

And finally, a festive bit of fun with macro and high dynamic range subject:

Dang! That made a huge difference in sharpness. Thanks for posting. Also really like the ornament macro!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb