Lumia 950 Reboots

chadiswar

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I have had my 950 for about 15 hours now and this morning it has restarted no less than 6 times after about 15 - 30 minutes. Not doing anything with the phone, it is just sitting there on my desk plugged into the computer and it restarts. Is anyone else seeing this problem? When setting up my phone I used the restore of a backup created from my Lumia 925 so it was not technically a fresh install.

I am running 10586.0 and the Version of the phone is 1511.

It is getting quite annoying.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 950 for about 15 hours now and this morning it has restarted no less than 6 times after about 15 - 30 minutes. Not doing anything with the phone, it is just sitting there on my desk plugged into the computer and it restarts. Is anyone else seeing this problem? When setting up my phone I used the restore of a backup created from my Lumia 925 so it was not technically a fresh install.

I am running 10586.0 and the Version of the phone is 1511.

It is getting quite annoying.

Check the battery connection?

If nothing is wrong then it try changing the battery, if that doesn't work you may have a bug or a defective device.

Krist Loumanis

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue. At this point I would think its a hardware Bug that may have an Update. But my battery does Not last 8hrs. I shut down all background apps as well as retinal scan and I increase from 4hrs to 8hrs. I love the Software but for as delayed as the devices were they should be flawless

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
On my 5th day, without a single reset. Yours doesn't sound right at all and I wouldn't wait, hoping that these flaws are temporary. Mine synced contacts, mail, etc., automatically only; didn't do any backup/restore of any kind from my 1020. I also haven't loaded any insider or other version -and I won't, nor plugged it into any computer. I'm running it as purchased, and it's running fine. I thought I'd have to sync it to move my several-thousand music track collection, but all of it downloaded automatically the first time I launched Groove on the second day, Saturday. I'd take it or send it back ASAP and get a replacement. Best of luck getting past this, which you will.

If you got it at a MSFT store like I did, you have a no-questions-asked 30-day return window. Not sure what your options are, but I'd take mine and get them to set it right, right away, or give me a new one. At this stage, I'm not taking a fixed 950; I paid for and expect a new one.

plandyman

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Had mine since Friday. Under regular use it has locked up and rebooted twice. My guess is the app I was using crashed. Once was messaging and the other was the chive I think.

I'm not worried though if updates are coming.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I came here just to post this, OP beat me to it.

My Wife's 950 has rebooted twice now, totally randomly. We've only had it since sunday (2 days). Both times it rebooted she was using the Edge app.

Cause for concern?

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I have 950XL. Got it yesterday. I have exactly the same problem - it reboots EVERY 15 minutes or so. Unless I use it. When I use it the reboots are much less frequent.
And there's plenty of reports on the net of people having the same issue so either it's a serious hardware design flaw which would make it a huge problem for MS or it's just another sign of unfinished OS, which for some reason WP fans seem to forgive, and which can be mitigated future updates.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
It seems that people who have restored from a previous windows device are having a lot of issues, where as those that did not aren't having as many. This is what I've gathered from reading through all these posts.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems that people who have restored from a previous windows device are having a lot of issues, where as those that did not aren't having as many. This is what I've gathered from reading through all these posts.

I had major issues in the insider preview program anytime I upgraded from 8.1 or restored a 8.1-based backup onto the win10 phone. Only a hard reset with no backup would fix all the weirdness. There are some legacy Lumia system apps that carry over from 8.1 doing either an upgrade or restore from backup that win10 really doesn't like. Granted, it's not an excuse as it should "just work" at this point...but there's a data point and I would recommend everyone getting these phones to set them up clean-slate with no restore.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Did a clean install on mine and it is running fine. No reboots.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
If "restoring from a prior device" means only that my backed up contacts, mail, music, etc, from my 1020 and OneDrive were automatically downloaded when I first set up the 950, and that I had ATT transfer my account to the 950 at the store, then I did. And again, no resets. Also, if it matters, the 1020 was and remains 8.1, AND, I have never done an insider's upgrade -or any other kind- on either device.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
If "restoring from a prior device" means only that my backed up contacts, mail, music, etc, from my 1020 and OneDrive were automatically downloaded when I first set up the 950, and that I had ATT transfer my account to the 950 at the store, then I did. And again, no resets. Also, if it matters, the 1020 was and remains 8.1, AND, I have never done an insider's upgrade -or any other kind- on either device.

Nope, that's not a restore. You have to create a backup (no idea how to do that on wp, this is my first, but it's the same as android) which saves stuff like app data, start screen layouts, etc and then you restore that backup file to your new phone. The problem is there are a bunch of apps and settings from wp8.1 that don't play nice with w10m.

KocoOn

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I have 950XL. Got it yesterday. I have exactly the same problem - it reboots EVERY 15 minutes or so. Unless I use it. When I use it the reboots are much less frequent.
And there's plenty of reports on the net of people having the same issue so either it's a serious hardware design flaw which would make it a huge problem for MS or it's just another sign of unfinished OS, which for some reason WP fans seem to forgive, and which can be mitigated future updates.

I agree, it's my first WP, so no restores of anything - clean install. And I did factory restore and new last update installation after first "test" set-up. I did 7 or 8 calls today and three reboots. Each reboot occured during the call, no matter how long.

Another call now - 4th reboot today...

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree, it's my first WP, so no restores of anything - clean install. And I did factory restore and new last update installation after first "test" set-up. I did 7 or 8 calls today and three reboots. Each reboot occured during the call, no matter how long.

Another call now - 4th reboot today...

Do you have bluetooth on? Another member mentioned it happened while bluetooth was on, even if it wasn't connected to anything.

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a 950 and I have experienced random reboots only when in the middle of a call. It will have two three times and then won't for two three days. Then happens again. Could it be SD card related? Bluetooth on but not connected. Happens when talking on the phone only and not otherwise. I did a hard rest last week but still did a restore. Are we suggesting the restore is the cause?

fuzzed1

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My 950 is randomly rebooting as well. Before and after the new update. It's sitting around and will just reboot. On wireless charger, off, after a call ... I can't figure out a common cause.

But I like to know I'm not alone.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My wife's has been doing the same. Hers has been rebooting about 6-10 times a day. At times she thinks it's when she places the phone down, but that's not consistent. Seems like it occurs after she uses it, and goes to lock it. Like when glance turns on it crashes the phone. But again that's not consistent either.

It just reboots.

However, mine doesn't have this issue and never reboots.

We both restored from backups.

Hardware? Dunno...

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had one reboot and it was after installing a lock screen app (it was also lagging). After uninstalling it went back to normal.

I'd check suspect apps, particularly ones designed for 8 or 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss