This ones for the fans - As a "Windows Phone Fan" - are you pleased?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
As I suspected, initial reviews are flowing in for the 950 and they're all quite negative. Some offer fair criticism while others (looking at you Verge) don't even give it a chance out of the gate.

However, what WE know is that this phone was made for US. Not for reviewers. It was made for the fans.

So, as a fan - what is your take? Will this phone sustain you while Microsoft's vision of Windows 10 plays out (and hopefully the promise of universal apps takes off) or are you done?

Personally - I'm happy and look forward to another year of excitement as a Windows phone fan - but I won't be recommending my iPhone/Android friends to jump to this phone just yet.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I am a "wait and see" right now as, after a full day, I have some issues that are getting worse, such as the messaging app crashing all the time. I am going to do a hard reset tonight and see how it goes. If the issues persist, I will be annoyed, though not angry. I used the Icon long enough to accept that certain things don't work right (sad, huh?). I choose to be a Microsoft supporter so I accept the bad with the good. I feel like, apart from the very few issues I have had, this phone is great for me as a fan. I am just hoping for some post-release optimizations (though honestly not holding my breath).

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Ask me again in December, after my 950XL arrives. I expect I'll be quite happy. As to what "journalists" on "tech blogs" think of it, I really don't give a load of dingo's kidneys what they say.

As you said, these phones are made for Windows fans, and I think Windows fans will be appreciative for the most part.

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Its a good start with lots of promise. Coming from a 1020, its great, however large. I have to adjust to the new keyboard size. which is good. it does lend that slight extra width that was needed for greater accuracy

mikestu

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I waited all these years with a 920, and I am very satisfied.

Pros:
-Awesome camera with 4k video
-Awesome screen clarity and size
-Fast
-Expandable memory
-Windows 10 is great so far. Any minor issues will get ironed out. The only one I saw so far was sometimes when I tap Messages, it acts like it launches, then closes. The 2nd time it opens. I'm sure they'll fix it soon enough.

Cons:
-At least on AT&T, it didn't come with the continuum dock. :(
-The back cover could be a little better quality, but it's ok. Maybe aluminum would have been better... and if it included an extra one in another color, even better. There's a 3rd party with some nice looking leather ones out there, but they aren't cheap.
-The "Hello" iris scan is cool to show friends, but sometimes you have to hold it too close to your face, so that might look odd in public...but you can always slide up and enter your PIN. The feature still says "Beta" on it though, so maybe they'll improve it.
-There are of course still a few "popular" apps out there that are not on the platform. Microsoft needs to do whatever they ask for (within reason) in order to talk them into porting.

I would say that if there are apps missing that you absolutely can't live without, then go iOS or Android. If not, and you really like Windows 10, then I would go for it. I have no regrets with mine.

mikestu

May 28, 2014
Visit site
PepperdotNet:
Dude, don't believe the reviewers out there. If you aren't sure, go try it yourself in person. See my other post... I really like the phone so far.

Last edited:

Michael Muscat

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The phone is amazing. Windows 10 Mobile is not amazing. I will never buy an apple or android device. All I need is a phone with good call quality, a good camera, browser, mail client and sms. Everything else is a meaningless distraction.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The reviews really aren't what matter to me. In the end the professional reviews, good or bad, are opinions of people I don't know and who aren't buying my phone. Its good for perspective but that's about it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I am about 90% happy with mine. The last 10%? mostly minor things, like app crashes and trying to figure out where everything is.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'll start by saying that I came from using a Lumia Icon as my primary phone. I also have a Lumia 928. I have been running the Windows 10 insider builds for months, so while everyone else is complaining about bugs, I am absolutely THRILLED that 90% of the bugs W10M had previously have been worked out now. What is left is so minor, it wouldn't be worth my time in mentioning, and I am sure updates in the near future will take care of it.

That being said...

I absolutely LOVE this phone. I love how it feels, I love the camera, I love the software, I love the hardware.

I find it irritating that so many people complain just to complain. Everyone has been complaining for months and months that Windows isn't releasing phones fast enough, everyone is screaming "we want it NOW"... so MS does what they think is a good thing and releases an amazing phone before they are ready to officially launch W10M (even the ads say it comes boxed with the Technical Preview), and all of a sudden everyone hates the phone because of software bugs and is screaming about how MS should've waited?

Maybe MS should've only released the phone to Windows Insiders and skipped over the public release. It wouldn't have quelled all of the whining... but maybe it would've taken care of some of it. Though, the new complaint I am sure would have been "exclusivity". Wait... people are still talking about that, too.

Seriously... for those on the fence... Yes, W10M is still in preview and there are still bugs. But the reviews are idiotic at best. The phone is amazing.

(and no, I am not pointing fingers around here. The finger pointing is entirely on the reviewers.)

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I have about 115 GB of music & pics, and they loaded & were recognized by their respective apps so much gayer thank on my 830. I expected this, but still very pleased that it went fast and smooth.
I've got a map of the US (4.4 GB), over 100 apps & games (most pinned to Start) and over 100 GB oh the SD card... no lags or issues at ask so far. Awesome.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I love it, happy to see something like this finally being made.

I still can't however, use it to justify my affection for Windows Mobile to outsiders except in very controlled situations. The OS is still too wonky to just hand someone and expect them to think its great.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm mostly happy with both the hardware and software, however it feels a bit too large in my hands (coming from a 920). I'll have to wait and see if I get used to it.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a 930 that I was rapidly getting tired of, I am really enjoying the 950 after one day. It feels so much better in the hand than the 930. This is because while it is bigger than the 930, it is lighter and the rounded edges have a nicer feel to me. The 930 also had to have the most annoying buttons of any Lumia phone I've owned: way too recessed and difficult to both find without looking and to push. I bought the matte black version and I think the silver accents of the buttons and camera ring are nice looking. This is all personal stuff and others will feel differently.

My 930's un-expandable storage was another problem as it had first reached capacity several months ago and I have been needing to do regular purging and moving of files. I will never buy another phone without expandable storage.

I had to go to two AT&T corporate stores to find the 950. The first store said they sold out before noon. I snarkily asked if they had ordered more than 2 and the rep replied he had sold two to one person an hour before. The second store had both colors in stock. I've never bought a Lumia before from AT&T because of their habit of removing features. It was only after I learned that they didn't do that this time, but actually added a feature in support for PMA charging that I bought from them. I was also pleased to find the package contained a separate USB C to USB data cable in addition to the charging cord. As USB C is so new, I don't have any cords with these plugs. This cord will allow me to charge the phone in the car as well. I don't know if Microsoft is including this cord in all of its packaging, but is so, I was surprised AT&T didn't remove it.

Set up of my 950 was easy. I had a little trouble setting up Windows Hello, but once I got it working it has done fine for me. I had installed the Windows 10 Mobile RTM on my 930. I like the new OS a lot, but it runs much better on the 950 than the 930: faster and with no crashes at all so far where several apps crashed on the 930.

Based on the first 24 hours, I expect to be happy with my 950.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
A few months back, some sites said the 950 and 950xl were meant for business people and not really photography enthusiasts or mainstream users. Hence the reason for limited colour scheme for the body. It's simple looking, right? Something that doesn't attract attention hence good for business users and corporate personnel

That being said, my theory doesn't work for the 550. It also has only 2 colour schemes. I like the bright colours and I always wanted to get a lumia 1020 in red but that never came of course. High end phones had less colour schemes than low end

Matt Bee

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Picked my 950 up at my local AT&T store Friday afternoon.............

Pro's:

Like I expected the camera is awesome!

Display resolution and clarity very nice!

Battery life is just ok, nothing spectacular!

Honestly, that is all I can say in regards to awesomeness!!!!!!

Con's:

While comparing the 950 to what I have been using previously (Apple 6SPlus, Nexus 6P, Moto X Pure) the software is pretty weak!

Software still need improvement!

Speaker phone sucks!

Bluetooth linked up with my Ford truck ok, but has been cracky at times!

And of course the biggest issue is the lack of apps which is not a surprise after not having a new device or development for the last 2-years!

Some of the apps that are available work just marginal, meaning they are slow, without full features like they offer on ios or android platform.

Will the 950XL really be much different? Other than a larger screen, a little faster processor, I think it will just be about the same.......

Totally wish I could of bragged about it, but the facts with it in hand speak for themselves.

Matt

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
2 complaints so far.

1. OS side. My text messages were not recovered properly. Sometimes, different sets from the same people would pop up. So I said "screw it" and just deleted them all and switched off the recovery.

2. My MicroSD card. Pictures are captured perfectly, but any video I've recorded had suffered due to slow write times. I won't even try to record in 4K. So this morning, I ordered a new SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Card (model # SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA) to help with those issues.

Aside from that, hardware wise, I'm loving how incredibly FAST everything is. And I'm coming from a L1520. The smaller screen has take a little getting used to, but loving the smaller form factor after being with the L1520 for almost 2 solid years. The battery life has been amazing, and I love using the USB-Type C cables. No more "looking to make sure" I've got the right way up before plugging it in!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6