Does Anyone Know What Protects The Camera on the XL

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello there folks in WM Land does anyone know if the camera on the back of the phone is protected by sapphire or at least gorilla glass 4 on the 950XL. I have checked the tech specs and can't find any information, and since I have not had a WM phone since the 920 I am to far out of the loop to know what the previous models used. I ask this because I just saw a video on youtube of a guy doing scratch test on that new BB PRIV and that camera is protected by regular glass or plastic or something it scratched up badly and with the Lumia rocking that pretty large camera housing on the back just wanted to know. Thanks everyone...

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
The 950 XL had GG3. There is also a bezel that sticks out more than the lens. Plus cases only add to that. I have never had a Lumia camera lens scratched, ever.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately cant say the same for the Lumia 730 as the lens gets scratch quiet easy. My sons phone is now useless for taking photos.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Source, please.

The MS website: Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 XL ? Unlocked - Microsoft Store

Display

5.7" WQHD (2560 x 1440)
TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
AMOLED, ClearBlack
518ppi
Orientation sensor, sunlight readability enhancements, easy to clean, high brightness mode, Lumia color profile, wide viewing angle, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, automatic brightness control
Super sensitive touch

Main camera

20MP auto focus with two-stage capture key
Digital zoom: 2x
6-lens optics
Optical image stabilization
Sensor size: 1/2.4"
F-number/aperture: f/1.9
Focal length: 26mm
Flash type: Natural flash
Features: Backside-illuminated image sensor, High-resolution zoom 2x, PureView, True 16:9 sensor, Fast Focus
Minimum focus range: 10cm

I'll admit the camera specs don't say GG3 for the camera outer glass but I'd just presume it is since the display is...

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Even if it is not use a film to protect it.. Buy a cheap scratch guard/ or something which can stick to the camera cut in the shape of the camera and stick it.. Now it has protection.. ;)

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Even if it is not use a film to protect it.. Buy a cheap scratch guard/ or something which can stick to the camera cut in the shape of the camera and stick it.. Now it has protection.. ;)

It would think that would distort the pic and possibly even screw with the focal point of the photo.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would not put a clear sticker on my camera wouldn't that distort the pic? On my nexus 6 the camera is gorilla glass3 and my iPhone 6plus is sapphire to prevent scratching.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not generally appropriate for lenses.

it doesn't seem to be a issue on my Nexus 6p the area that the lens sent behind is gorilla glass not the actual camera lens it self. and I am not sure whats on the iPhone 6plus that I have i think sapphire but both seem to do well and prevent any scratching of the lens ..

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The MS website: Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 XL ? Unlocked - Microsoft Store

Display

5.7" WQHD (2560 x 1440)
TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
AMOLED, ClearBlack
518ppi
Orientation sensor, sunlight readability enhancements, easy to clean, high brightness mode, Lumia color profile, wide viewing angle, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, automatic brightness control
Super sensitive touch

Uh they put it wrong? it was supposed to be gorilla glass 4 on display of the XL!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately we don't know if it is GG3 or GG4, MS has said both depending on the day for both the 950 and the XL. Maybe we will eventually get a real answer.

Pretty sure even Panay said it infront of everyone at that reveal in October! and the 950 having GG3.

InsGadget

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I hope it's better protected than the 920's lens. My camera is basically worthless because the lens is so beaten up.
Not the case for me, my 920 lens cover is quite scratch free, which is amazing after the long-distance foot travel trips that I used it on (probably 5000-6000 miles of hiking, 3000 miles of bicycle travel). I have always used a cheap TPU case to keep the thing from sliding everywhere, so no doubt that helped, but it was still always exposed to the elements. My 950 seems to be emulating that aspect of the 920 so far, thankfully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb