If buying Att 'NoContract'..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
...Do NOT let store open phone under GOPhone!!!

I just bought a Lumia 950 today from Att Burbank, CA store. Was upfront that I am purchasing to unlock. So put down my $652 including taxes to pay the no contact rate. To activate the phone, the store enrolled me on GoPhone and I found out later that GoPhone requires 6 months use before unlocking.. Meaning the store is trying to backdoor me into a 6-month contract while still collecting my fat no-contract rate purchase.
So am fighting with ATT customer service on the basis that the 950 is not packaged or marked as a GoPhone and No-Contract means NO contract! Have opened a case and hope to report better news tomorrow.
In short if you are looking to do same, make sure the sales staff and manager are not using GoPhone to activate you..

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
...Do NOT let store open phone under GOPhone!!!

I just bought a Lumia 950 today from Att Burbank, CA store. Was upfront that I am purchasing to unlock. So put down my $652 including taxes to pay the no contact rate. To activate the phone, the store enrolled me on GoPhone and I found out later that GoPhone requires 6 months use before unlocking.. Meaning the store is trying to backdoor me into a 6-month contract while still collecting my fat no-contract rate purchase.
So am fighting with ATT customer service on the basis that the 950 is not packaged or marked as a GoPhone and No-Contract means NO contract! Have opened a case and hope to report better news tomorrow.
In short if you are looking to do same, make sure the sales staff and manager are not using GoPhone to activate you..
Good advice. But even without it being activated as a GoPhone, an AT&T customer still can't get an AT&T phone unlocked without at least one month of service.

If you paid for it with a credit card it's already over. Just contest the charges. Plus don't you have 14 days anyway
Yeah, just return the thing. And re-buy it. Also, if you have never been an AT&T customer, and start over you can unlock a fully paid phone even without a month of service. Its a loophole. Non AT&T customers can receive an unlock code immediately. I've done it many times. So don't activate the phone at all and be careful about an AT&T store registering you as an AT&T customer just by buying a phone. If need be have a 3rd party buy it and saying it will be a gift for someone. I've always bought the phones I unlocked immediately from someplace like BestBuy Fry's or WalMart so no chance AT&T can claim I am an AT&T customer and thereby not eligible for an immediate unlock code.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
In three days you can just buy an unlocked one from Microsoft. You have 14 days to return you current phone to AT&T (with a $30 restocking fee). Use it until you get your MS phone and then return it.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Non AT&T customers can receive an unlock code immediately.
As far as I know, since the law changes last year, the online unlocking tool only checks for a contract on the IMEI. I've unlocked phones with that tool that were actively being used on an AT&T account by selecting that I was not a customer. The only times I've been denied was when the phone I was trying to unlock was still under a 2 year contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs