How is the 640?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little light on cash at the moment and my 920 is dying pretty hard. I'm thinking of picking up a 640 on the cheap until the 950xl is more readily available. How would the 640 compare to my old 920? They are only $40 through Microsoft unlocked right now so I'm not expecting the world but would it at least be functional?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You get compared to the 920:

A speedier phone, though not by an insane amount.
An inferior camera.
Much longer battery life. (replaceable too)
A slightly larger phone and display.
No Qi or camera button.
1/4th the internal memory but SD support so you'll want to get an SD card.
Etc, but that's the gist of it.

I would do it.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, from what I've been reading it seems like it would be an ok temp phone, I could throw in an SD card and I could use it for a couple months and pick up the 950xl sometime in January. Then I'd have a backup phone too.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The phone is very functional. Granted you would get a subpar camera but it is usable. No real issues with performance. You will probably want an SD card. For a temporary solution you can't beat the price.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I got a 640 to replace my old (but very good 820) about three months ago. I have alot of respect for the 640 after using it for the past months. I also have a Moto G lte as my secondary phone (on Android of course) and I rate the 640 better than the Moto G at less than half the price. Performance wise it is about the same as the 820 (which has almost the same insides as the 920), but the battery lasts almost three days between charges, and it already has Denim which the older phones will never get, it also should get Win 10 if they ever release it. The camera is not as good; but it is not bad at all and I have no problem with it. While the 640 is on sale now I would jump on it if I were you. You can install about 90% of the available apps on the SD card (and they run fine on it) so 8GB storage is plenty.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone put Win10 on the 640 yet and does it run ok?

Win10 preview runs ok. There are a couple of minor bugs but they do not render the phone unusable by any means. W10 is still in preview stage so this is to be expected. Official release for the L640 is supposed to be around 12 December. When the official release will hit carrier branded versions will depend on the carrier.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
W10M runs as well on my daughter's 640 as it does on my 920. It's a solid phone. If anything were to happen to my 920, I'd get one without hesitation. I'm thinking about picking up one for $40 just for the hell of it.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Cool, I've tried two different builds of Win10 on my 920 and both times it made the phone unusable but the phone is having other issues which may be part of the problem. I'm going to stop by the Microsoft Store tomorrow and hopefully be able to pick up a 640 and then I'm going to order a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro MicroSD card for it. Then when I upgrade to the 950xl in a couple of months I can take the SD card with me at least.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I just ordered the 640 from the Microsoft store, they said it was "while supplies last" kind of thing so I didn't want to risk not being able to get one if I waited so I just ordered it. I should have it sometime next week and I can finally have a phone that doesn't reboot every few hours.

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Phone is good with hardware.
But developer not attend this phone.
They do not develop app considering Lumia 640.
Consider following app
In my Lumia 520 VLC, Video navigator pro app works like charm but in same on my Lumia 640 it crushes n even not showing video in video navigator pro app.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Phone is good with hardware.

But developer not attend this phone.

They do not develop app considering Lumia 640.

Consider following app

In my Lumia 520 VLC, Video navigator pro app works like charm but in same on my Lumia 640 it crushes n even not showing video in video navigator pro app.

L520 and L640 are both Windows phones. And the L640 has much better specs (stronger processor and more RAM). If the app you mentioned is not working on this model then you need to contact the developer and not blame the model. The dev shows recent updates meaning the app doesn't appear to be abandoned so most likely they would take suggestions. The app appears to work on the L920 which is close in specs.

There are two possibilities I can think of though. One is that the app is not working on the Denim update which the L640 has and the L520 doesn't, or you are using W10 preview.

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes Lumia 640 run denim update 2 n nokia Lumia 520 is on denim update 1 may be this reason.
But this 2 app works fine on my brother L640 smooth n fine.
Whether it is SD card problem???
Or developer problem?
Or some different???

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
With my Lumia 640 no problem n issue.
I also read some of app rating comments of Lumia 9640 owner.
They face same problem.
Developer oVZ of video navigator pro does not reply.
And VLC I think, update in 2016😂

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little light on cash at the moment and my 920 is dying pretty hard. I'm thinking of picking up a 640 on the cheap until the 950xl is more readily available. How would the 640 compare to my old 920? They are only $40 through Microsoft unlocked right now so I'm not expecting the world but would it at least be functional?

I've been covering doing the same thing. My 1520 head tons of bugs that are beginning to drive me mead... Not to mention that it is beginning to just drop calls or not dial out from time to time. From the reviews I'm seeing and from holding a 950 in store I'm just not prepared to spend $500 plus on that thing. So I've been looking at the 640. EVERY review on the phone has been very positive. Still I just don't like if I want to surrender the "premium" feel and the subpar camera.

What did you decide to do? Oh I was in a MS store today.... You can get the 640 there and not just online too!

Smiggyy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
No issues with 640 on latest build of 10 at all.
3 days worth of charge, I dont find the camera sub par at all but then I'm no professional photographer nor claim to be.
Screen is really sharp/clear and almost 100% immune to scratches.
No lags/hangs like Droids and cost wise, well who can realy complain given the cost of the flock's iPhones!

I fancy the new 9 series but be damned if I'm paying that much 'for a phone'!!

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see most people have good things to say about it. I was skeptical but figured for $40 what the hell, it's worth a shot. I should be getting my 640 today. When I ordered it online the Microsoft store said "arrives in 3-7 business days". Somehow that turned into overnight so that's pretty cool. Unfortunately I won't have the SD card I ordered until Monday/Tuesday of next week. So I'll be able to play around with it and probably upgrade it to 10 but with only 8GB of internal storage I won't be able to do much with it until I get my SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6