Anyone confirmed L950/950XL working on T-Mobile?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
It says LTE up in the status bar. I also ran speed tests and got about 60 Mbps. That's LTE speed.

is VoLTE working? To test...make a call and see if it drops to H+. With win10 I don't think you can see that *during* the call do to the way that the status bar changes function but immediately after the call ends you can pull down the notification area and see if it is H+ or LTE. Have to be quick tho the transition happens in just a second or two after the call ends.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
is VoLTE working? To test...make a call and see if it drops to H+. With win10 I don't think you can see that *during* the call do to the way that the status bar changes function but immediately after the call ends you can pull down the notification area and see if it is H+ or LTE. Have to be quick tho the transition happens in just a second or two after the call ends.

During the call there is no indication. It only shows the signal strength, but after hanging up the phone only show LTE. I never saw H+ I did run a speed test while on the call and the status bar showed 4G.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
So I've definitely got it working on TMobile... for the most part. I'm getting LTE as I'm getting 50-60 Mb/s during speed tests. I can send MMS, but I can't seem to receive any.

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what the problem is. The headline ends in a questionmark and I had no problem understanding it. In fact, your suggested headline is more problematic and confusing. It doesn't even make sense. It fails to end in a questionmark, and it should be "is working" or "works" rather than "working."

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Let's summarize the 950 XL on T-Mobile

VoLTE - No

Phone kicks down to 2G/3G/"4G" for calls. No VoLTE/IMS registration settings in Cellular+SIM like T-Mobile branded 640

WiFi Calling - No

No WiFi Calling settings in Cellular+SIM like T-Mobile branded 640

Visual Voicemail - No

No visual voicemail toggle in phone settings

Band 12 - Yes

Band 12 shows enabled in field test mode. Should get data in Band 12 areas at least.

As far as reception. The 950 XL gets better signal than the 1520, but still not as good at the 640.

I know some people are hopeful an update adds support for VoLTE/WiFi calling but Microsoft has not worked with T-Mobile thus far and their certification is required to add these features. Don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Let's summarize the 950 XL on T-Mobile

VoLTE - No

Phone kicks down to 2G/3G/"4G" for calls. No VoLTE/IMS registration settings in Cellular+SIM like T-Mobile branded 640

WiFi Calling - No

No WiFi Calling settings in Cellular+SIM like T-Mobile branded 640

Visual Voicemail - No

No visual voicemail toggle in phone settings

Band 12 - Yes

Band 12 shows enabled in field test mode. Should get data in Band 12 areas at least.

As far as reception. The 950 XL gets better signal than the 1520, but still not as good at the 640.

I know some people are hopeful an update adds support for VoLTE/WiFi calling but Microsoft has not worked with T-Mobile thus far and their certification is required to add these features. Don't get your hopes up.

I guess, does it matter if it doesnt support VoLTE as long as you DO receive and CAN make calls when on LTE?
Does it matter if you drop down to 4G? I know... there is an edge case, where you are on speaker phone and want to surf the internet at the same time....

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess, does it matter if it doesnt support VoLTE as long as you DO receive and CAN make calls when on LTE?
Does it matter if you drop down to 4G? I know... there is an edge case, where you are on speaker phone and want to surf the internet at the same time....

There's an edge case, but I think you pointed to the wrong one. You can still surf and talk at the same time on 4G (HSPA). However, the main pain point is that band 12 (700Mhz) might be the only signal you receive at a given location (likely indoors) due to its range and wall penetrating properties compared to bands 2 and 4. Without VoLTE, you can get data but you won't be able to make/receive a call even though you might have 5 bars of signal. Totally logical, but folks who might not know what's going on could be confused/frustrated.

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
There's an edge case, but I think you pointed to the wrong one. You can still surf and talk at the same time on 4G (HSPA). However, the main pain point is that band 12 (700Mhz) might be the only signal you receive at a given location (likely indoors) due to its range and wall penetrating properties compared to bands 2 and 4. Without VoLTE, you can get data but you won't be able to make/receive a call even though you might have 5 bars of signal. Totally logical, but folks who might not know what's going on could be confused/frustrated.

To add to that

I believe the main concern, and why T-Mobile has asked several Android handset makers to disable Band 12 (if they don't support VoLTE), is emergency calls. As you said, the phone may show signal in a Band 12 area, but when someone attempts to make a call, the call will fail. The phone also may not allow you to make an emergency call on another carrier as T-Mobile is reporting signal.

Someone who understands this could certainly work around it, but for your average Joe it could be a disaster, and T-Mobile would get the blame.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is my understanding. Band 12 on TMO is ONLY VoLTE .... meaning the phone has to have the VoLTE enabled on that band (700MhZ) in order to make and receive calls. So --- if you happen to be in an area where band 12 is the strongest, and your phone connects to that band the phone will show that you have a signal. However you will not be able to make calls. The VoLTE has to be activated in order to work for making and receiving calls.......

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my understanding. Band 12 on TMO is ONLY VoLTE .... meaning the phone has to have the VoLTE enabled on that band (700MhZ) in order to make and receive calls. So --- if you happen to be in an area where band 12 is the strongest, and your phone connects to that band the phone will show that you have a signal. However you will not be able to make calls. The VoLTE has to be activated in order to work for making and receiving calls.......

If the phone also sees a HSPA (or 3G or even 2G) signal, it will drop to that (even if it's on another band) when a call event happens. The problem is if there is no HSPA (or 3G or even 2G) signal to switch to at that moment.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077