950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just talked to an advanced tech over AT&T's chat system, explained to him the issue with having 4G only. He managed to re-provision my phone for AT&T and now LTE is working with no issue! Voicemail is working too, but it seems Visual Voicemail is not available in the 950 XL. Ah well, not a big deal as long as regular Voicemail is working.

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Just talked to an advanced tech over AT&T's chat system, explained to him the issue with having 4G only. He managed to re-provision my phone for AT&T and now LTE is working with no issue! Voicemail is working too, but it seems Visual Voicemail is not available in the 950 XL. Ah well, not a big deal as long as regular Voicemail is working.

So this is what I should do?

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
wow a 40 billion dollar company releases a phone on 1 carrier and doesn't make sure it works....wow

Oh, the AT&T-branded 950 works fine. AT&T can provision any of their own phones on their network.

But there is no AT&T-branded 950XL, so AT&T has no obligation to support it. And they don't. Their systems don't recognize the phone or the IMEI, so what do you want anyone to do?

BB released the 950 on 1 carrier, AT&T, and they made absolutely sure it works. But we're talking the 950XL here, not the 950.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
So this is what I should do?

If you can find someone at AT&T to help you, yes. The problem is finding that person. There's no technical reason they can't provision you over the phone or chat; the reasons are all political and bureaucratic, plus a big dose of ignorance and "I just do what the script says".

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Guys easy fix - I plugged my sim into my brothers iphone 5, called ATT said I couldn't get data she fixed it then I plugged it back in and get LTE now. truly just AT&T being ridiculous over the EMEI

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've spoken to three different AT&T reps on the phone, none of them were able to reprovision my phone so that LTE would work (all three tried an OTA re-provision). One woman managed to make my dial-in voicemail work (before it would ask me for my mailbox number), but nothing else.

Does anyone know specifically what to say or ask them to do?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong, but think of it like this. AT&T has a list of all IMEI numbers officially on their network with their own devices. They can provision those all day long. Your SIM cards are coming up with IMEI numbers from unofficial GSM phones so they or their system are having trouble getting the provision to work on your SIM the way it's active right then and there. If the SIM is active with a legit IMEI then it will work, and then you can move it to your unlocked device.

For example I've never had this issue because every time I've used an unlocked device I've been coming from an official AT&T device already.

Last edited:

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I've spoken to three different AT&T reps on the phone, none of them were able to reprovision my phone so that LTE would work (all three tried an OTA re-provision). One woman managed to make my dial-in voicemail work (before it would ask me for my mailbox number), but nothing else.

Does anyone know specifically what to say or ask them to do?

When I talked through chat, I had two different reps try to re-provision my phone with no luck. After the second person failing to do so, she forwarded me to an advanced tech support agent to help out. He was the one who finally managed to re-provision my phone correctly.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So this isn't a defunct phone? I just got a new sim at AT&T and it still won't work. They didn't put it in a different phone first though

I mean, I show in our hands-on video AT&T LTE so it definitely works. Ironically I had no issues, although never got VVM to work on my Lumia 950.

I'm hard resetting 950 XL and restoring it with 950 backup cause I ain't setting up another Windows Phone this week. We'll see what happens, but LTE is definitely on there for AT&T.

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I mean, I show in our hands-on video AT&T LTE so it definitely works. Ironically I had no issues, although never got VVM to work on my Lumia 950.

I'm hard resetting 950 XL and restoring it with 950 backup cause I ain't setting up another Windows Phone this week. We'll see what happens, but LTE is definitely on there for AT&T.

Daniel,
You'll be happy to hear that once I used my brothers iphone 5 (I hate saving that) to activate the nano sim everything works well. Blazing fast LTE.

bennetwats

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Have had LTE since picking up the 950xl today - but still no visual voicemail.

Hopefully this will be resolved in the near future - really annoying.

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
So for those of us that are converting to AT&T from Vz, thus have no nano SIM to start with, and have a 950XL on hand, what must we do to activate a nano SIM via AT&T to enable LTE? Specifically those of us without a brother that has an iPhone 5 on AT&T network.

I had talked to AT&T last week and was under the impression that I walk into the store with my 950XL in hand, they give me a SIM and I pay them $55 a month and done ...

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

There really needs to an article on Windows Central about the 950 XL and using it on AT&T. Listing out which feature will not work, such as visual voicemail, internet sharing, Wi-Fi calling, etc. Would really help clear up the confusion on the risks of using an unlocked phone. As it stands right now, there is no way I am buying one of these phones since it seems not much will work.

muddtt

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is part of my chat with an ATT rep online. I'll let you guys know if it goes anywhere.

Angelica: Thanks so much for your patience, Joseph. I actually had a similar issue come up with this device earlier today.
joseph: good, hopefully it can be resolved easily
Angelica: It seems that because the phone is a fairly recent release, there is some type of issue regarding the APN settings
Angelica: In order to obtain LTE services, I will need to refer you to Microsoft. I do apologize for the inconvenience.
Angelica: Let me grab that phone number for you. One moment, please :)
Angelica: 888-665-4228

ddaniel87

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
i wish mine would just stay on. the constant reboots are ridiculous. And when it does come on, it cant be turned off or it starts rebooting again.

i do have lte, but no visual voicemail

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I stopped and got a SIM at AT&T to put in the second SIM slot. He provisioned it with the IME number from the 950XL

Got home and that SIM will only connect at 4G
The SIM in slot 1 is out of my 1520 and it an AT&T 1520. In the 950XL it connects at LTE
After reading this thread, I took the SIM out of my ATT 640 and cut it down to fit SIM2 in the 950XL
It too connects at LTE

Put the 4G SIM (new one from today) in the 640, and get 4G

So, I am convinced you can NOT get LTE if AT&T provisions the SIM with IME numbers from the 950XL

Having said that, I am betting that AT&T and Microsoft WILL work this out shortly. They BOTH have a vested interest in this specific case.

But I won't wait. I'll simply go to AT&T store and have them provision a new SIM for the 640 using that IME number and I will have 3 LTE SIMs. 2 for the 950XL, one for the 640

If you are wondering why I have 2 SIMs in the 950XL, my employer provided SIM is a 5 GIG data plan, and my home Family plan is 40 GIG rollover.

So, now with this AMAZING phone I get to switch back and forth, have both texting accounts on one phone, and HOTSPOT for my Surface Pro 4 with either the 950XL or throwdown 640.

Oh, and this phone does everything my beloved 1520 does better. It might not be as sexy, but it is a powerhouse

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I stopped and got a SIM at AT&T to put in the second SIM slot. He provisioned it with the IME number from the 950XL

Got home and that SIM will only connect at 4G
The SIM in slot 1 is out of my 1520 and it an AT&T 1520. In the 950XL it connects at LTE
After reading this thread, I took the SIM out of my ATT 640 and cut it down to fit SIM2 in the 950XL
It too connects at LTE

Put the 4G SIM (new one from today) in the 640, and get 4G

So, I am convinced you can NOT get LTE if AT&T provisions the SIM with IME numbers from the 950XL

Having said that, I am betting that AT&T and Microsoft WILL work this out shortly. They BOTH have a vested interest in this specific case.

But I won't wait. I'll simply go to AT&T store and have them provision a new SIM for the 640 using that IME number and I will have 3 LTE SIMs. 2 for the 950XL, one for the 640

If you are wondering why I have 2 SIMs in the 950XL, my employer provided SIM is a 5 GIG data plan, and my home Family plan is 40 GIG rollover.

So, now with this AMAZING phone I get to switch back and forth, have both texting accounts on one phone, and HOTSPOT for my Surface Pro 4 with either the 950XL or throwdown 640.

Oh, and this phone does everything my beloved 1520 does better. It might not be as sexy, but it is a powerhouse

An advanced AT&T customer support rep managed to activate LTE on my 950XL with the 950XL's IMEI number.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs