950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Just off the phone with AT&T and, I quote, "because that device (950xl) is not able to properly connect with the AT&T LTE network we (AT&T) cannot provide LTE service to you." This is obviously not correct, but the agent did not have access to "a code" to enable LTE--he had one code and it was already entered into the system for the device. End of story. Nothing he can do.
That's why I said multiple times NOT to tell AT&T you have an XL. Just don't do it, it breaks stuff. Having them know this information benefits nobody and only causes issues to crop up since they will claim they know nothing about it and boom, it doesn't get LTE (because it comes up as a generic flip phone or something).

I mean, if you can't go to a store and grab an AT&T LTE IMEI from a display model, just google for one. Use that. It doesn't tie anything to your account, just enables LTE on your account.

And the rep was very wrong. GSM is an open standard, full stop. AT&T may not support it with their ****ware, etc, but any unlocked handset is 100% usable on their network, providing the bands are supported (which the XLs fully are). Unlike T-Mobile (which works on LTE immediately, regardless) AT&T's system seems to require a branded AT&T LTE IMEI to be listed on your account for LTE provisioning to work. Seems like a violation of open GSM standards, but hey, it's how Randall Stephenson's empire rolls I guess.

JDasenbrock

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Exact same experience. Did the online chat as others have done, the rep did try a number of things, but was unable to provision. She opened a case for the techs. Received a text to call them and did. Was given the same exact response as you. Nothing they can do, cased closed.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
That said, I chatted with technical support, wherein I learned, "<Agent>: After talking to my support there are known issues with the Microsoft 950xl and the LTE network." The agent wasn't able to provide details, though.

But I was able to convince the agent to enter the IMEI from my AT&T-branded L1020 and... voila! LTE is working. Hopefully, someone at Microsoft or AT&T will be more forthcoming about this... "issue" in the days ahead...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've read back and the consensus is that it doesn't. Have people tried using the voicemail button to call into their mailbox and enter the pin and then hang up? I had to do that on WM10 on my 830 for the tab to then appear.

maestromato

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
There is a problem with VVM on unlocked Dual-Sim capable devices, you will find the same problem with unlocked 640 DS and 640XL DS.

I spoke with a Microsoft employee over Thanksgiving, expressed my problems with my 950 XL's sim provisioning problem at AT&T. He had me send him an email about it and was going to send it to the Windows Product Group to get this fixed. Hopefully it will get fixed on AT&T's end soon!

Also, I went to an AT&T physical store this morning, the store manager let me provision my sim for a Lumia 925 after explaining what was going on with the incorrect Sim Provisioning that is paired with 950 XL IMEI's. Now I have LTE on my 950XL.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a problem with VVM on unlocked Dual-Sim capable devices, you will find the same problem with unlocked 640 DS and 640XL DS.

I spoke with a Microsoft employee over Thanksgiving, expressed my problems with my 950 XL's sim provisioning problem at AT&T. He had me send him an email about it and was going to send it to the Windows Product Group to get this fixed. Hopefully it will get fixed on AT&T's end soon!

Also, I went to an AT&T physical store this morning, the store manager let me provision my sim for a Lumia 925 after explaining what was going on with the incorrect Sim Provisioning that is paired with 950 XL IMEI's. Now I have LTE on my 950XL.

Thank you for the update. I was going to buy one and would prefer the XL. VVM to me is a showstopper. I guess my 830 will do until this is resolved.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I did not have to go to the physical att store because Microsoft gave me a sim card with my 950 XL. Came home and activated it online. I do have lte but no VVM :(

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I gave the CSR an IMEI from an AT&T 640 XL, which I believe is an LTE device. Without telling him the device, he confirmed it showed up in his system as a 640 XL. Did say it would take a couple of hours. Not sure that's right, but I guess I can wait. In the meantime ...

With WiFi up, status indicator says 4G. Speedtest confirms 4G speed (download between 2 and 6). Is there any way other than the indicator and speedtest to see if on LTE?

Not sure if APN for Internet correct? I've seen somewhat contradictory info on correct settings. Appreciate what you're using.

Thanks.

JDasenbrock

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Exact same experience. Did the online chat as others have done, the rep did try a number of things, but was unable to provision. She opened a case for the techs. Received a text to call them and did. Was given the same exact response as you. Nothing they can do, cased closed.

Ok, wife called the local AT&T store where we activated our 950xls. Told them our experience with AT&T support. They helped us apply alternate IMEI codes over the phone. Voila, LTE.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Any advice on APN settings?
Actually, no. I am having a similar problem like you that my LTE-enable sim from 1520 on AT&T is not able to provide LTE connection to my 950 XL. It only shows 4G. I also contacted CS and they too told me the APN would kick in in a few hours. The recommended APN settings can be found on AT&T's website (can't post links yet).

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I did a Bing search for IMEI on AT&T and found the following numbers:

The first one worked for me. Saved me a trip back to the store.
After the change in my account settings my signal bars went from 1 to 4 (remote area) and my field test revealed that my SIM 0 has LTE connectivity.
The AT&T technical service guys are great. They knew about this and quickly fixed it.

tiggscolo

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Okay this is my first AT&T service (former Verizon user), is indicator of 4G the same as what LTE is, or do they have two levels of service?
I have gotten the 4G indicator finally after a chat with the AT&T online help, but didn't know if that is just how they brand their LTE. He did help me get off the 2g network so there is that!

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay this is my first AT&T service (former Verizon user), is indicator of 4G the same as what LTE is, or do they have two levels of service?
I have gotten the 4G indicator finally after a chat with the AT&T online help, but didn't know if that is just how they brand their LTE. He did help me get off the 2g network so there is that!

They should be two tiers of service. LTE>>4G in terms of download speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs