950XL and Nokia Wireless Stand Charger

feariam

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Damn. This is disappointing as I use the 910 as a night-stand as well. Makes it easy to see the time and deal with the morning alarm. Might have to look into getting a different wireless charge stand-up dock if Microsoft isn't planning on developing a new one... If one exists!

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
We are not talking about docks, we are talking about Qi, which actually is a standard for wirelessly charging mobile devices. The Lumia 950 XL is said to be the successor to the Lumia 1520, both show Qi wireless charging capabilities when comparing them on the vendor site. I own 3 (repeat: 3, not one) "cheap" Qi wireless charging stands of the same vendor, 70 EUR each, designed for the predecessor and suggesting that you will not need any new solution for the next years, which will not work just because the coil in the new back cover is just not lined up. No hint on this anywhere so far, even no reason, and you call me crazy?

Qi works... So you are talking about the docks... The qi standard did not change, lol. Qi in the 950/xl is the same as any other device (new or old)...

No where have I heard that the qi charging coils should be in a certain position, although one would assume it should be in center or lower center of the device..

Those older docks were made for devices previous to this one... I like foe things to be backwards compatible, and that is what the qi standard is... Hardware design ia a different story... Where did you see anywhere on either package thy they were compatible with one another?

I have many universal things that for one reason or another did not work with one of my new devices... So it was time to upgrade, modify, or if it was serious enough... Do what you all suggest ans return the phone... If it is that serious...

Who is at fault...
1) the phone
2) the dock
3) you
4) it is what it is... No one, that's life...

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
5) the so called premium vendor who just does not care

Again, that is just stupid as there does not seem to be a reason for placing the coil differently from all their previous products. Maybe there is one, like the new MIMO technology. But I'd simply like to know such things to make my decision. At least now it is even harder time to convince myself that I really want this phone.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
For me the regular flat one works fine, but the stand didn't work when I tried last night. Pretty bummed about that too because I like the stand much better. Will try again tonight in landscape mode.

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You need to elevate it, the shim shown in my pics gets the center line of the phone in line with the center of the molded circle which is where the coil is.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I've got it to work just now. Definitely not ideal but it works. I might eventually sell this one and get one of those 3-coil Qi chargers from Amazon.

vincentw56

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I ordered this: Amazon.com: "Black Friday Deal"-Keedox Wireless Phone Charger 3-Coils Qi Wireless Charging for iPhone Samsung S6, S6 Edge,LG with Foldable Design: Cell Phones & Accessories. I will let you know how it works. It should be here Saturday. It has 3 coils so hopefully one of them will be in the correct spot.

I received this from Amazon. It works perfectly. It allows you to adjust the angle which is nice. It seems well made (at least as well as the Nokia unit). The only downside is that is doesn't come with an AC adapter. It does some with two USB cables and one is really long. I used a USB AC adapter.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Landscape does work if you get it in the right spot on the stand, but i'm not trying to view it in landscape unless MS is going to make the lock and start landscape capable that is LONNNG overdue.

justbob29

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I used a wine cork and a rubber band. Works perfectly. The round cork provides the right height and a recess to hold the phone in place.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Posted this photo on a similar thread in hopes this Mozo backcover's charging pad will be correctly lined up BUT just noticed there is a screw holding it in place so even if it isn't we may be able to realign it so it does??
inside.jpg

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Weird. My 950XL charges in landscape mode without any need for a shim underneath to raise it. But portrait is more ideal so I guess I'll be shopping for another stand.

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought my phone had a defective Qi component (or that the metal pins weren't contacting back cover pickups) since it doesn't work with wither the 910 or the CR200 car charger I depend on. 903 and JBL power up seem to work. Wondering if the Qi section adhered to the back could be moved to make them work.

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I thought my phone had a defective Qi component (or that the metal pins weren't contacting back cover pickups) since it doesn't work with wither the 910 or the CR200 car charger I depend on. 903 and JBL power up seem to work. Wondering if the Qi section adhered to the back could be moved to make them work.

I got the car charger to work. Here's the link to the thread.

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I got the car charger to work. Here's the link to the thread.

Thank you for the link. That solution won't work for me because the charger is mounted to a Proclips mount. If I cut the bottom off of the charger, the phone will likely slide out. For now I plugged a USB to USB-C cable from the charger plug to use with the phone. Nice opening in the bottom of the CR200 to accommodate the cable. I have a Quick charge 2.0 plug coming and will use that with the cable essentially making the CR200 a phone holder only.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Landscape does work if you get it in the right spot on the stand, but i'm not trying to view it in landscape unless MS is going to make the lock and start landscape capable that is LONNNG overdue.

Very long overdue... I just picked up a Moto E for $10 to play with... Man... I just cant believe Microsoft keep on sleeping. Android keeps getting better and better... Android now has user accounts... I mean Microsoft brags about its user accounts on the Windows OS,but kids zone or whatever it is called was so close to fulfilling at least a guest mode... But they let it die... All it needed was a second password, even though there were security/privacy holes that could be circumvented in kids mode, it was cool.

Landscape mode for the whole os is long overdue like you said... I loved the dedicated camera button, but android has a double-shake gesture to open the camera... Shoot, even the cheap Moto e has ok google.. Why doesn't the 640 have hey Cortana?! I know hardware wise, just saying.. MS gets so close and. Drops...

I am more ans more convinced to stay with my phones I have until the surface phone arrives... I may get a new windows phone for the time being or just give Android another go... Trying to replace all google apps with Microsoft apps now. That's the beauty with Microsoft's plan, my Microsoft apps are everywhere :)

Ok... Back to topic.

Dzik

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I received this from Amazon. It works perfectly. It allows you to adjust the angle which is nice. It seems well made (at least as well as the Nokia unit). The only downside is that is doesn't come with an AC adapter. It does some with two USB cables and one is really long. I used a USB AC adapter.
I got my Keedox yesterday, charged my 950XL on it overnight and was surprised it only got to 79% after 8hrs. I consider it defective. My 1520 charged fully in the fraction of that time using Nokia DT-910

How long does your charge? Does it matter what AC adapter you use?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb