L640 on ATT Pre-Paid...Quality?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I decided to take the leap and spend "big money" on the sale that MS is offering for the L640. It's going to replace my L1520 which I dearly love but which also has given me fits lately. Like won't answer and make calls fits whenever it wants to. I didn't want to dish out the cash for the L930 either. So taking the cheap way out, I decided to take the deal and also do pre-paid instead of post-paid on ATT.

When I took it over to the ATT store to get it set up, the sales guy tried to talk me into getting a post-paid account. He suggested that I wouldn't get good signal with prepaid (better then TMO he said from which I was porting from). He said that the prepaid phones use completely different towers. Now I use to sell phones al LONG time ago when it was really taking off (like back in the early 2000's...like Motorola v360 was the hotness 2000's) and I never knew that to be the case. So I know what was going on here.

Still, I have to ask if anybody using a L640 or anything else has had bad quality on ATT prepaid? If I'm right, the postpaid customers do get first preference in regards to data but not totally different towers. That's BS. Anyway...anybody with experience on this?

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I love my AT&T GoPhone Lumia 640! I am using it on Cricket and it works great.

I was on GoPhone before Cricket and I never had any problems with service. I think that guy was feeding you a line of BS

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I smell BS too. I am completely satisfied with my GoPhone service. Excellent coverage and reception all the time, and never any lag with data.

Jmp485

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Largely regionally dependant and how much saturation your market has. My brother in Jacksonville Florida had a GoPhone (not a 640) and had the most garbage service ever there but got 4 bars and excellent data speeds when he'd visit me here in Wisconsin. He's on post paid with at&t (similar quality cheap android phone) now and no issues.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I think the only factor that might have limitations on GoPhone might be roaming on another providers towers if you are in a bad AT&T zone. AT&T towers are AT&T towers. AT&T post and prepaid run off those towers. Load of BS in my opinion.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I knew it was BS when he started talking! As far as roaming... now they've enabled roaming for go phones so it shouldn't be a problem.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Have two 640's one on Cricket and one on Consumer Cellular. Both work just fine on either network (as they both use AT&T towers). I thought I had heard just about the best BS in the world; but your guy at AT&T now has the best.

Roddie Toney

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I just updated to 640 from 635 and differences are noticeable. I am with gophone prepaid and wouldn't think about anything else. Clear voices and screen is nicer as well. Love the glance feature. Oh I got mine last night for 29.99 from Best Buy on Black Friday sale.

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
There is no difference at all between pre-paid and post-paid accounts at AT&T for signal quality. There is regarding data limits and such, but, that rep is pulling your leg.

My daughter has a 640 LTE that was on a pre-paid account and we since switched to a family plan (15GB for 10GB price) and there is not a bit of change.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have ALWAYS had go phones... 520 $39 , 635 $39 , 640 $29

One thing is certain..THEY'RE GREAT and getting even cheaper and better
I just slip my ATT SIM in get and unlock code "just because" and away we go until the next Go Phone sale.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss