MS Hello - you have to be kidding.

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I just wish it worked with my glasses. I guess my prescription is too strong, because it never recognizes me with glasses, even after spending 10+ minutes holding it at different angles to get it through the improve recognition run.

Hello is practically useless to me because i wear glasses all the time, and i'm not going to spend the time to take them off every time i want to use the phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.
That's my situation as well. My prescription is - 9.0 diopters, so I also wear high index plastic with rolled and polished edges.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you guys tried looking at the spot where the Hello-camera actually is (up top) ? Try that and just move it closer to your face until it unlocks. Should work no matter if you are wearing glasses, contacts or... Something else.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Make the profile with your glasses on :D
It won't work. Tried that first thing, several times. It tries and tries then fails. From the image it shows on the screen I'm guessing its mostly from reflections off the glasses but I am just guessing.

This will turn out the like the situation with AT&T customers who can't get LTE unless they put their SIM in an AT&T branded phone (that supports LTE) first for provisioning - or - lie and call in that phone's IMEI.. Those XL owners are searching out other AT&T customers. I guess farsighted people need to seek out contact wearers that have similar prescriptions. Maybe the Microsoft store should create an app to help customers link up. LoL

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you guys tried looking at the spot where the Hello-camera actually is (up top) ? Try that and just move it closer to your face until it unlocks. Should work no matter if you are wearing glasses, contacts or... Something else.
I think you are missing that you can't use Hello to unlock your phone UNTIL YOU PROGRAM IT. Its the programming you can't do if you can't read the instructions (which are different for every programming attempt) on the screen without your glasses. The programming starts with mandatory training without glasses.

Making more sense now?

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Windows hello is kinda slow for me, and I've done the setup a bunch of times already. It stayed of really fast, now there's a noticeable delay

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Look at the red light when it scans. Do optimization from as many angles as you can. Thing unlocks quickly for me (2 sec typically). But even at odd angles if I keep eyes open and look at red light. Sometimes it misses but it's beta. Never misses from up close. It's a wide angle lens so has some room to play with. I just did it from quite far while laying down with head up on pillow. Just lens was pointed towards me. But keep running optimize in diff lighting and angles.

mranieri

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Look at the red light when it scans. Do optimization from as many angles as you can. Thing unlocks quickly for me (2 sec typically). But even at odd angles if I keep eyes open and look at red light. Sometimes it misses but it's beta. Never misses from up close. It's a wide angle lens so has some room to play with. I just did it from quite far while laying down with head up on pillow. Just lens was pointed towards me. But keep running optimize in diff lighting and angles.
Me as well...its all about the angle when setting up....I do not have to put it very close to my face either.......just look at the screen and viola.....I do not wear glasses so I cannot comment there!

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For eyeglass wearers, it makes a big difference if the lenses on your glasses are spotless, or if they need cleaning. I had it working well yesterday, then noticed it had dropped off and wondered why. Noticed my glasses were a bit smudged, gave them a thorough cleaning, and it is back to working really well.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.

Here's something cool. During the scan you can actually keep your glasses on, position your head and then take them off. It just pauses the scan and keeps trying. And then you have to open your eyes wide. Lots of people with eye sight issues tend to squint which covers the iris and the scanning of the pits. And then there's always just trying with glasses on and seeing if it works even if it does tell you to take them off. I saw people doing it with dark tinted shades on after they already did the scan recognition. That's neat.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The only real trouble I've experienced with Windows Hello on the 950xl is in full daylight--was walking in the park, yesterday. It would not work--not once. So, I tried "improve recognition" under the same conditions and it couldn't detect my face--not once. Else, it works fairly flawlessly for me.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I think I restarted my phone after changing the text size, and Windows Hello lost the IRIS training settings, so I had to set it up again from scratch.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
*sigh* fingerprint sensors *just work* without all this bull****. Except when you have gloves on due to weather which is a minor edge case.

cb950xl

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I love your post! I took my glass off and had to call my wife to read the screen. It will probably recognize her instead of me! Oh well, it does work sometimes. It has to be so close that they should have used nose recognition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077