Best Buy Lumia 640 for $29.99 - ***Sale Over :(***

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Lumia 640 for $29.99 - BLACK FRIDAY DEAL LIVE NOW!

If you want to pay for shipping to the UK, let me know, and I'll buy one for you and send it over.

Thanks for the offer!
Just been checking out shipping fees, etc, then noticed that the phone offer for ?29.99 has ended.

Out of interest, are cell phones like this on AT&T normally locked?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the offer!
Just been checking out shipping fees, etc, then noticed that the phone offer for ?29.99 has ended.

Out of interest, are cell phones like this on AT&T normally locked?
Yes but they can be easily unlocked as long as you don't start the phone with the at&t SIM inside

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Jesus Christ they sell them for only $60 in America????

I bought my Lumia 640 in September for ?130. THATS $195.41

For the past few days, they've sold them for $30 at Best Buy. The MS Store has been selling them for $39.

I have a hard time understanding the economics of those prices. These phones are probably worth what you paid. Getting them at these prices is stealing. It feels almost wrong - almost. :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I believe part of the pricing difference is the fact the version in the UK is most likely dual SIM and supports more bands than the AT&T variant. Not to mention it is most likely not carrier locked. Unlocked phones typically cost more... Maybe due to subsidizing and demand.

UK Windows Phone devices are ALL single SIM. We've not got a dual SIM Windows Phone device available from anywhere in the UK. You have to import in from mainland Europe. That's how I'm getting my dual SIM Lumia 950.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The main problem is that they can barely get $30 for them in America because of the strong brainwashing. For Americans, a phone is less technological tool and more fashion accessory, and has to have an Apple or Samsung logo. The only people who will buy a Windows phone in America are for the most part IT managers and others of the looked-down-upon geek, dweeb and nerd classes. And there just aren't enough of us to influence the numbers.

kpluck

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
The main problem is that they can barely get $30 for them in America because of the strong brainwashing. For Americans, a phone is less technological tool and more fashion accessory, and has to have an Apple or Samsung logo. The only people who will buy a Windows phone in America are for the most part IT managers and others of the looked-down-upon geek, dweeb and nerd classes. And there just aren't enough of us to influence the numbers.

That just might be the silliest thing I have ever read on the internet.

-kpluck

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That just might be the silliest thing I have ever read on the internet.

-kpluck

Might be, but people who have Windows Phones in America, who are actually interested and not just because it's a way to get a cheap smartphone, are very small. I rarely see Windows Phones in the wild. I'm not saying that we don't exist, it's just that we aren't very large. This forum is the only way for me to have a place where I can actually read and take part in discussions about it all. Aside from my dad (who I introduced to it), I only know one other person who has one around me. I am the only person in my friend group who has a Windows Phone...

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I picked up at BB 2 on Thanksgiving eve. One for an old GF with a cracked screen I think 535 and one for me for development. What a fantastic buy! The 640 is a really great phone. And at this price incredible!

I asked the sales person at BB if I could get 2. She checked with manager. They offered to sell me all 4 that they had. I guess the manager must have thought they wouldn't move too well. I stuck with my purchase of 2 since I didn't really want to mess around with EBay to make maybe $10 each.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I too debated on whether to try and buy more than the initial three that I had succeeded in placing an order for. Two of those were for me and the other for my Brother. Like you, I decided it probably wasn't worth the effort/hassle to buy more and try to sell them for a $10-$20 gain. I had tried to get the word out to family/friends as to what a great deal these were for $30 but to no avail.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I too debated on whether to try and buy more than the initial three that I had succeeded in placing an order for. Two of those were for me and the other for my Brother. Like you, I decided it probably wasn't worth the effort/hassle to buy more and try to sell them for a $10-$20 gain. I had tried to get the word out to family/friends as to what a great deal these were for $30 but to no avail.
Same. I told my brother about it, but he kind of forgot, so I just chose to give him the one that I ordered as a backup (I'm interested in trying a different phone).

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I think to many people are still stuck on brand (Apple or Samsung), OS, or the "popular". I feel WP is largely bypassed for this reason. Of course, the other main thing is the alleged "app gap". For many the supposed gap is almost non existent considering the apps that are actually used.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think to many people are still stuck on brand (Apple or Samsung), OS, or the "popular". I feel WP is largely bypassed for this reason. Of course, the other main thing is the alleged "app gap". For many the supposed gap is almost non existent considering the apps that are actually used.

It boils down to what people are used too.... they tend to just stay with what works . Some switch between Android/IOS because that is what the norm is. Chances are that a family member or friend is pushing the decision "You don't want a WP".

Its sad but reality..these people overspend (on old tech) and have more insecure and less flexible solutions...all because its what they do.

I'm not worried as I'm on my third WP.... its a great OS and Hardware. Its really too good to fail at this point.

Absolutely in time the new Windows phones will make their presence felt and those families in Android or IOS will have family members branch out into Windows 10 phones. You see it happening already... Microsoft is taking over from IOS and Android. Just look at a\n Apple centric TWIT network..they now have more Microsoft devices than Apple. Apple has been sucking and Android is a hot mess.

The time is right for the more streamlined Windows 10 Mobile to make inroads. The devices are fine, the OS is fine and the App situation is also fine...this represents the most solid future platform out there. Google and Apple WISH they had a unified OS like Windows 10...they do not.

Not worried at all about WP..Loving my 640 its freaking awesome in every aspect. Windows Phone is finally ready to compete. It will as people try it.

I can without ANY reservations recommend the 640 to anyone. (Its that good and I would not have given my previous phones that recommendation) . I was "on the fence " as a 635 owner about getting a 640 (same processor)... glad I took the chance on the cheap 640...night and day better and I was pretty set and happy with my 635.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have owned WP before, My first smart phone was the Windows Mobile. I also owned the 920 and 1520. I currently own and use the Samsung Note Edge. And only went back to Android because of my checkbook app. (Quicken) Windows Mobile had a 3rd party app that worked well, until MS stuck it's patent devil after them, and that was the end of that. They are too cheap to create a WP app of their own, and there is no app in the store that even really comes close to it. (I had d/l almost all of them, even paid for the ones with no free app) But regrettably I sold my 1520 so I can still keep track of my checking and at home without the fear of losing my phone and not having any records of what I purchased. Oh, I bought the 640 for "Just in case"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte