How long do text messages take to download

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
My 950XL phone has been activated since yesterday afternoon. I still don't have most of my text messages. The phone does have some of them, particulary if the texts were sent in the past week or so... I know it usually takes a while to get them all, but it hasn't barely started by the looks of it, All my other windows phones got the text messages fairy quickly in comparison. Is there a way to force them to update, or do I just wait for it to do it when it wants? I don't want to restore my backup; its 3 months old and there is no way to get it to not import duplicates, so I end up with 2 or 3 of the same message...

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol I have this problem. It only downloaded messages from up to 2013! Nothing since then. Even my Whatsapp didnt restore any of my messages. Really annoyed.

scottwallace5

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree, same here! I've had my Lumia 950 for 4 days now and it's still stuck on January 2013! I hope something gets fixed soon! If it works for you, you can try the Transfer My Data or the contacts+messaging app to transfer them, I tried doing that but no luck for me!

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I can restore from the backup on my sdcard fine, just never had to before, and I have gone from 822 -> 929 -> 1520 -> 950XL ... also the Transfer My Data thing is broken it seems from Win 10 to Win 10 ... Might work from Win 8 to Win 10 tho

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I can restore from the backup on my sdcard fine, just never had to before, and I have gone from 822 -> 929 -> 1520 -> 950XL ... also the Transfer My Data thing is broken it seems from Win 10 to Win 10 ... Might work from Win 8 to Win 10 tho

Sorry but how did you manage to do it? I havent wiped my 1520 yet so if I can still retrieve my texts I would be very happy.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
text messages was 2013 for me initially and then after overnight, looked at the phone and everything is there.... magically! lol.

Whatsapp for some reason didn't appear, I thought that was server side.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Sorry but how did you manage to do it? I havent wiped my 1520 yet so if I can still retrieve my texts I would be very happy.

I just had backed up the text messages to an SDcard on the 1520... you might have to download the app from the store, I forget (Bing or Google, sir) -- then when I put the card in the 950XL I went to Settings -> Extras _. contacs+messages and picked a restore point

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
text messages was 2013 for me initially and then after overnight, looked at the phone and everything is there.... magically! lol.

Whatsapp for some reason didn't appear, I thought that was server side.

You're lucky. Its been 24 hrs for me and it stopped at 2013's texts and nothing since. I also had no luck with my whatsapp convo's transferring over. It only transferred my groups lol. I even went back to my old phone a second time, did a backup, removed whatsapp on my 1520, reinstalled and same thing again.

However.. I plan to try this tonight for whatsapp: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-transfer-whatsapp-conversations-to-new-devices

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I just had backed up the text messages to an SDcard on the 1520... you might have to download the app from the store, I forget (Bing or Google, sir) -- then when I put the card in the 950XL I went to Settings -> Extras _. contacs+messages and picked a restore point

Great thanks! I will be trying this tonight for sure. Nothing worse than losing years worth of convo. Do you recommend I wipe all my existing texts before trying this?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Great thanks! I will be trying this tonight for sure. Nothing worse than losing years worth of convo. Do you recommend I wipe all my existing texts before trying this?
If its all your texts on the old phone, then yes. If you do not it will duplicate, not overwrite or skip, so you might end up with 3 of each message or something like that, happened to me

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind if you also sync your texts with onedrive it will create duplicates of every message when resyncing the texts... its incredibly annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss