How is your 950Xl battery doing?

Gremsems

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My batterylife is awful! Need to charge halfway through the day or I'm ****ed. Cannot believe how bad this battery is. I wait till it dies and then charge to 100% many times the last few days but no result. So my 950xl has no tap to wake, no flip to mute and the battery is fukcing poop! Why the hell I do the effort to stay with Microsoft and Windows 10 mobile, I have no idea. I'll give the battery another week or I'm of to look for something else! Fukcin' Microsoft...jeez!!

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Want to feel your 950 XL get ridiculously hot and drain that battery? Use the Surfy browser (I don't think Edge was quite as extreme) and scroll through & expand some of the 3000+ comments on one of the recent articles on the huffingtonpost.com. OMG. I wish I had my IR thermometer here with me to get a reading. Even with a case, the bottom of the XL becomes almost too hot to touch. :unhappysweat:

I'm not sure what the Facebook commenting system does (or Surfy FTM), but it's obviously continuously keeping the CPU cranked up. I now get what Michael Fisher was alluding to during his Lumia 950 comments on Pocketnow a couple weeks ago. He said the battery drain was high simply by reading text; must have been something like this.

Gremsems

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
If I use the phone, I lose 1% a minute. That give me 100 minutes of use before I have to charge it again. It's a disgrace Microsoft, an absolute disgrace!!!!!!!

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Right now I my phone has been off the charger for 6:45 minutes with pretty decent use and I am still at 81% battery. This time yesterday I was somewhere around 70%.
would you mind giving us a quick list of all the apps you allow to have background processing?

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine is bad as well. It's been a week so I thought it would settle in.
I have an hour + commute in the morning and listen to Audible. On my 928 I could do that, get a day's use out of it and listen again going home with battery power to spare. Now I get to the office and I'm already down to 60%.

Going to try draining the battery completely a few times instead of just letting it get really low.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
My list of tweaks so far which has enabled me to easily get 16+ hours and still have 25+% left. Today it has been off charger for 8:45 minutes, had over 1 hour of talk time, used it to keep up to date on facebook, and used it during my workout to log weights and reps. I currently have 78% battery left.

Turn off Windows Hello and Hey Cortana
Turn off Glance Screen
Set all email accounts to update once per hour (I have 4 accounts)
Unlike Skype messaging and the sms messaging client
Screen auto brightness

I have lots of apps installed that do background updates: facebook, twitter, skype, instagram, messaging, email, news, tennisfreak (my own app :)), ebay, groupon, package tracker, etc.....

Not seeing any more issues battery life is great.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Preface: I never had a 1520, so I never experienced that battery life nirvana. My prior two phones were a 920 (terrible battery life) and a 635 (good battery life, but very underpowered phone).

So far, with one week using the 950xl, I am satisfied with the battery life. It will get me through a whole day without too much trouble. Yesterday, I emailed out about 30 gb of pictures via 7 emails to my daughter and it went down substantially. I thnk it was around 35-40% by 3:30. That kind of thing is to be expected. I had an event later that night that I wanted to be able to take pictures at, so I made sure to put it on the wireless charger for about an hour before I left. After the even, I was at 50%+.

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a 930 experience with my 950xl. There's no system process consuming power (like lockscreen/glance) it's just any app that I open be it, Tubecast, Mail, Readit etc... They all consume a cr#pload of power for no reason. I opened up Readit for maybe 5 min and then it ran away in the foreground and consumed 20% battery! There is a large battery in there. It's just that the power management seems to absolutely suck!

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
They say a lot of things during keynote which aren't necessarily true or don't turn out the way they should. I switched off glance and it did improve my battery life, am not sure why...got 31 hrs out of it, with glance enabled it was less than 15 hrs.

You cant argue with that. Because it "technically" makes sense too. Its just led up pixels, it does not drain battery. So I am not sure what eats your battery but it isnt glance.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I feel like my battery does a bit better than before. But one thing that helps is just use your phone and stop checking the battery percentage every minute. I did so too, but now when I use it normal it can last a day before it kicks in battery saver (20%). Still wishes it was better, still feeling like my 930 did better anyways.

About glance, when enabled the proximity sensor is almost always on. I already figured it is on when the phone is unlocked (don't know why but you can see the tiny led in the right corner is lid) and when the phone is turned off it had to be on to check if it is in your pocket or not. It even is on when night mode is enabled for any reason.

Can't imagine the few pixels and the proximity sensor drains the battery and turning glance of didn't improve my battery usage significantly though.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I can stream a couple hours Groove, BT/WIFI on all day, light usage of Nextgen reader/Facebook/Edge for 1-2 hours and still have around 60-70% at the end of the day being off charge for 12 hours.

Pretty much on par with the previous 830 on 10. Maybe a bit better on the 950xl. As long as I can get through my day with the usage I do and have it not die or get below 20%, i'm ok. BTW, Hey Cortana and Hello is ON. Motion off.

I don't believe in disabling features to gain battery life. Not what I got the phone for. I'll disable all background apps except for those needing notifications to my Band 2 like, mail, messaging, weather. etc. Rest are off.

Last edited:

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My battery is now at 91% after 5 hours of very light use. Read a couple emails and read some news articles. I have Groove and Motion data disabled in the background.

Also, as another user pointed out, constantly checking the battery uses up battery. That is why I don't normally have them.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm impressed with the battery life on mine. I'm only into my 2nd day and today it has been off the charger for 12 hours and it is currently sitting at 66% remaining. Hey Cortana and Hello is OFF. I have glance always on (wish they would bring glance background pictures back), 2 email accounts receiving emails when they arrive, Bluetooth is connected to my Band 2, WiFi is On. I'm still playing around and setting things up just the way I like things so its getting pretty heavy use. As long as I can last a full day without a top-up I will be happy, though I have a wireless charging plate from my old 1020 sitting on my desk so it wouldn't be a problem to give it a top up if needed.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My battery is now at 91% after 5 hours of very light use. Read a couple emails and read some news articles. I have Groove and Motion data disabled in the background.
Turning Motion Data off seems to have made a big difference for me. I had it off charger about 16 hours yesterday and still had about 12 estimated hours left. That's with Hello still enabled.

Teacer

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Just unpacked mine 950 XL. White. Ordered a brown Mozo back cover. Followed this thread with mixed emotions the last couple of weeks. But I'm really gonna give this lovely phone a shot.
Anyways...my first thought was to start with a factory reset. But will that change anything?
What should you do?

/T

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Just unpacked mine 950 XL. White. Ordered a brown Mozo back cover. Followed this thread with mixed emotions the last couple of weeks. But I'm really gonna give this lovely phone a shot.
Anyways...my first thought was to start with a factory reset. But will that change anything?
What should you do?

/T

Secure your promotion code for the free dock before reset. I remember someone mentioned that after factory reset, the app was gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster