Terribly unfair review from Gizmodo

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Just goes to show you how the duopoly of mobile OS's have churned out the number of hipster idiots who should have taken up scrubbing toilets instead of doing tech reviews.

There are reviewers who love and use Windows phones as their only device that gave the 950 a poor(ish) rating. Sometimes you need to step outside your bubble to see where these reviewers are coming from. I'm not making excuses for this Gizmo review in particular, but many of his complaints were shared by writers of other sites.

The quality of the phone does not match it's price bracketed competition, you can disagree, but I think deep down inside you know it's true.

Windows 10 Mobile is buggy, incomplete, and not ready for Prime-Time. We at this site have been using the OS since it's inception, and we've gotten used to its quirks. The average reviewer isn't going to be okay with bugs, crashes, and things not working correctly. What he was saying about the shutter button not waking the phone and launching the camera app is true, I have two 1520's doing the same thing sometimes, and no I am not blocking off the proximity sensor.

Continuum is awesome, but it's not at its full potential. A limited number of apps work with it, and the 950 probably isn't powerful enough to have the mind blowing experience this neat idea deserves. Microsoft should have held this feature back until it was completely ready, instead of prematurely blowing their load and having reviewers publicly write it off.

What the Gizmodo reviewer said about the size of the phone was dumb though, and even if he is a fan of larger phones, he should understand that not everyone else is.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes you need to step outside your bubble to see where these reviewers are coming from. I'm not making excuses for this Gizmo review in particular, but many of his complaints were shared by writers of other sites.

The quality of the phone does not match it's price bracketed competition, you can disagree, but I think deep down inside you know it's true.
.[/I]

Like many, as a WP fan, I would like the L950 to be praised and I wouldn't mind the phone to be criticized on its weaker points, that is fair game. I for sure want to pay a lot less, but saying it is in the wrong price bracket baffles me. The internals of the phone, cameras and its screen are flagship specs. So there is not debate there. The only arguments that can be made is the bezel and the OS. You may say the bezel is not up to par with the iphone 6, and I wouldn't argue with that. But the L950 is also $100 cheaper ($550 unlocked, dual sim, 32GB, Qi charging, OIS) than the iphone 6s ( 16GB, no OIS, no Qi charging). So given the market, it is price right for its hardware.

The OS is a different issue. For all its flaws, WP has been praised for its fluidity, reliability, live tiles and the ability to work in lesser spec hardware. The reviewer uses the words clumsy live tiles and not fluid OS. I am sure W10 mobile continues the trend set on WP7 and WP8. For him to start his review with what we can all agree is a false depiction of the Windows, then that is dishonest.

I am a fan of the platform, I can say this: The phone design doesn't look premium, and at best uninspiring. Most report W10 mobile to be buggy, incomplete, crashes, there is a app gap from major developers, and some citing battery life and heat concerns.

You see, i can criticize the platform that I love. I can also say iphones and a few android phones are great phones. The gizmodo and the verge reviews are biased and trying to detour potential buyers not on evidence but personal agendas.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
but saying it is in the wrong price bracket baffles me.

Please re-read my post, I never said it's in the wrong price bracket. The build quality of the device doesn't match other phones that cost around the same. I realize it has a beautiful display, fast SOC, micro SD, and replaceable battery, but that's not what I'm talking about.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
But the iPhone, and Android phones aren't just great they have issues too. I have an iPhone and just got rid of a Nexus 5 they are not perfect and they lack certain features. Why don't they mention in the reviews how you can pin a website when there isn't an app. The point of a review is to point out the features as well as what doesn't work well or is missing not to make it painfully obvious that you don't like the phone or the os. By the way I didn't read the review I have read others though.

I have been away from windows phones since the Arrive because Sprint wiuks bkt get any of the newer ones and the Arrive was unfinished and small. The 950 xl is awesome in so many ways too bad it will be hard for phone buyers to find that out.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
But the iPhone, and Android phones aren't just great they have issues too. I have an iPhone and just got rid of a Nexus 5 they are not perfect and they lack certain features. Why don't they mention in the reviews how you can pin a website when there isn't an app. The point of a review is to point out the features as well as what doesn't work well or is missing not to make it painfully obvious that you don't like the phone or the os. By the way I didn't read the review I have read others though.

I have been away from windows phones since the Arrive because Sprint wiuks bkt get any of the newer ones and the Arrive was unfinished and small. The 950 xl is awesome in so many ways too bad it will be hard for phone buyers to find that out.
What was wrong with the Nexus 5?

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It was just boring to me. I had for a couple of years got it so I could give my son my galaxy s4 at the time ended up with it again when I gave my son my iPhone 5s. Lol. Just don't not thrilled with Android always did like Windows. Guess my name should be phonephreak. Lol

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I can live with the Engadget review. Also I agree with this 100% "Think of it as a software version of little red nub on ThinkPads: It's meant for fine-grained control over the cursor, but it moves so slowly I basically gave up on it."

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Ditto. *That* is what a fair review looks like.

It wasn't bad, but it still isn't completely correct. For instance, it says you can't pin individual email accounts - which of course you obviously can (even if it were true, it's an ironic point to knock WP for since you can't "pin" anything to the other OS').

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't bad, but it still isn't completely correct. For instance, it says you can't pin individual email accounts - which of course you obviously can (even if it were true, it's an ironic point to knock WP for since you can't "pin" anything to the other OS').

In ios you can save shortcuts to websites but not emails. It is strange that they would mention that.

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
The review was done by someone who has been using hi end phones, so I kind of feel his pain.
For entry to low mid level phones (upto $200), windows phone is a nice choice. But for more than $200 I too don't recommend windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster