950 XL screen black level in a dark room

slightlyconfused

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I've been searching around and haven't found anyone with a similar experience so I thought I should post something here.

I just picked up my pre-ordered 950 XL yesterday, and the display is absolutely gorgeous EXCEPT for when I'm in complete darkness. If I'm watching a video or looking at images in a dark room, black is not black by any means. The deepest color the display makes is a darkish green-brown. Everything is so washed out because of this that I can hardly see anything. Contrast ratio must be 10:1 or worse.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It seems odd for an AMOLED display to do this. Black should be black! The glance screen looks fine with absolute black except for the text, but once the phone is awake the black screen becomes the green-brown. I'm hoping this is a software issue to be resolved with an update. Everything else about the phone is fine.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been searching around and haven't found anyone with a similar experience so I thought I should post something here.

I just picked up my pre-ordered 950 XL yesterday, and the display is absolutely gorgeous EXCEPT for when I'm in complete darkness. If I'm watching a video or looking at images in a dark room, black is not black by any means. The deepest color the display makes is a darkish green-brown. Everything is so washed out because of this that I can hardly see anything. Contrast ratio must be 10:1 or worse.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It seems odd for an AMOLED display to do this. Black should be black! The glance screen looks fine with absolute black except for the text, but once the phone is awake the black screen becomes the green-brown. I'm hoping this is a software issue to be resolved with an update. Everything else about the phone is fine.

It sounds like you might have a defective display.

Did you try the settings listed in this article? Worth a shot.

Dull display? Make the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL's extra vivid | Windows Central

slightlyconfused

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I have tried messing setting to vivid, and even messing around with the settings manually. Nothing seems to help. What's weird is that glance works fine. I'm not too familiar with the technology behind glance, but it would seem as though the display itself is OK and maybe there's a driver issue.
But this is only evident in complete darkness. If there's any sort of ambient light, the brightness of the display compensates.
I really don't want to have to return this. I had a terrible experience getting it in the store, and don't really want to go back there. Hopefully this is a bug. That said, anyone aware of when we should expect the first update?

StutterStep

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I see the same issue. Compared to my note 4 the blacks are not very black at all. They appear more greyish. This is also apparent when the screen is off.

StutterStep

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
950XL vs 1020. Blacks can only be as deep as what I see when the screen is off. Looks a lot deeper to me on the 1020

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 5262.jpg
    5262.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans