Unlocked/Dual SIM 950s: no Visual Voice Mail, HD Voice or other AT&T features

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
This post is based on conversations with Lumia 950 purchasers (AT&T and unlocked) and information from Microsoft/AT&T representatives. This information should be revised over time if better information becomes available (or if the AT&T features becomes downloadable, like on Google Play for Android).

For those who are picking up the unlocked (Dual SIM) phone from Microsoft instead of the carrier-locked AT&T version, be aware...

No Visual Voice on non-AT&T phones
Visual Voice Mail is an AT&T-loaded (or AT&T-provisioned) application on AT&T retail phones. It will survive reformatting and OS upgrades. But according to my research so far, this feature cannot be installed through the Windows Store.

Some users of older Single SIM non-AT&T Windows phones have reported success getting VVM to work, so this may be something which can be provisioned by AT&T. Parts or all of the VVM software is built into Windows 10.

So far I have not found any successful reports of VVM working on any Dual SIM Windows phone.

No HD Voice or Wi-Fi Calling on unlocked phones
HD Voice and AT&T's upcoming Wi-Fi Calling features appear to only be available on AT&T retail phones.

SIM cards must be provisioned to activate AT&T features
To use AT&T features like Visual Voicemail, AT&T SIM cards must be provisioned to activate those features. If you are moving from a Windows 8.1 phone, you are probably fine simply moving your SIM to an unlocked Lumia 950.

Advantages of AT&T Lumia 950 phones (vs. unlocked)
  • Supports Visual Voice Mail, HD Voice, and other AT&T apps/services
  • Single SIM is slightly less confusing to use
  • Single SIM supports one ultra-high LTE speed which is theoretically (although probably not practically) attainable
  • Discounted/financed by AT&T
Advantages of Unlocked Lumia 950 phones (vs. AT&T retail)
  • Lumia 950 XL is only available as an unlocked device.
  • Dual SIM Unlocked phones support two SIMs: one phone for work and home numbers.

Please post if/how you get these features working on an unlocked Lumia 950
If you purchased an unlocked Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL, and if you are able to get any of the AT&T-specific software or AT&T features like Visual Voice Mail working, please post how you made it work here.

Big screens (950 XL) and Dual SIMs (unlocked 950s) are cool. If we can figure out how to get VVM and other AT&T features working on them, that would be excellent.

Last edited:

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been running an unlocked Lumia 735 on AT&T for over a year now with the preview version of windows 10 mobile. The sim from my prior Lumia 920 wouldn't fit the 735 (needs nano), so I went to the local AT&T store and they set me up with a nano sim. Visual Voice Mail works just fine, and I would expect the same from the Lumia 950. I can't speak to HD or Wifi calling.

My unlocked 950 is presently backordered, but I'll update when I finally receive it.

Last edited:

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I would be interested to hear if anyone has been able to get the AT&T variant unlocked yet, and then how it performs on T-Mo.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T and T-Mobile VVM *is not* an app, carrier-provided addin etc. It's built into WP. The issue is that WP does not support it on dual-SIM configs.

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
So what's the alternative? Visual voice is a deal breaker for me. I have been unable to find a substitute, but will return the phone if visual v-mail is unavailable.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So what's the alternative? Visual voice is a deal breaker for me. I have been unable to find a substitute, but will return the phone if visual v-mail is unavailable.

Try youmail-- there's a very good WP app for it. If I didn't have VVM I would use that and be more than happy.

YouMail on your PC browser for sign up. http://www.youmail.com

ISeeVM App on your phone for configuration. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...evm-for-youmail%2F9wzdncrdkj9v&token=qELmO5ny

The above works on my Dual SIM Win HD LTE.

There is nothing in the Dual SIM or Voicemail help pages stating Dual SIM does not support VVM.
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/calling-and-messaging/check-my-voicemail
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-a-dual-sim-phone

My Factory Unlocked 1520 had VVM on T-Mo through the baked in function in phone app. I would check configurations before counting it out.

FWIW I am so happy with having YouMail as portable between phones, between carriers, between SIMs and even portable between phone numbers I will never go back to carrier VVM again.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
While my unlocked Lumia 735 did work with VVM on ATT, it was a single sim device. My new 950 is dual sim and I moved my nano sim from the 735 to sim1 on the 950. I'm using the YouMail/ISeeVM solution proposed by RumoredNow in the previous post.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I will pay the extra $50 for the ATT version tomorrow as my 920 just went through the wash. I need visual voice mail and have had problems in the past with Youmail.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I will pay the extra $50 for the ATT version tomorrow as my 920 just went through the wash. I need visual voice mail and have had problems in the past with Youmail.
Doing the same myself. I ordered the AT&T version last Wed from MS Store and still no ship notification.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Doing the same myself. I ordered the AT&T version last Wed from MS Store and still no ship notification.
Guys, you're letting them get away with it! What's needed is for lots of us to stick to our guns that we WILL keep our dual sim phones and MS and/or the carriers WILL comply with our demand, er, polite requests, to make it work.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys, you're letting them get away with it! What's needed is for lots of us to stick to our guns that we WILL keep our dual sim phones and MS and/or the carriers WILL comply with our demand, er, polite requests, to make it work.
The surface phone will be here by the time they comply. I am out of patience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos