Ordered Lumia 950 XL and got Lumia 950 XL DS

XHotSniperX

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi :)

Today I was so happy to get my Lumia 950 XL but unfortunately it is the Dual SIM version which I don't need. When I ordered the Lumia 950 XL I was specifically looking at the details in order to buy the single SIM version. But I got the DS.

It wouldn't bother me if the LTE was the same but it's not. The single SIM has LTE Cat 6 where the DS has Cat 4. My question now is, is it possible to use Cat 6 when using only one SIM or is it splitted on the hardware side so it makes it impossible?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I can't think of a single thing cat6 is NEEDED for in 2015. Cat 4 is more than enough, for now. By the time cat6 is the standard in all phones we will be onto another Lumia phone. All will be fine, enjoy the new phone.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you know you ordered the single sim version, are the skews different or was a different page in the store?
Call up customer service and tell them about the mix up and have them send you out a new phone and send this one back.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It was never specified which one was being ordered, and they changed the specs page to mention dual sim some days after orders began, hence the confusion. Nobody knew what they were going to get until the boxes began to arrive.

And I agree with Allen, it's highly unlikely that any carrier on the planet will be offering that speed of LTE during the usable lifetime of this phone.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If your old phone has LTE Cat 6, perform a speed test. If you exceed the 150 Mbps throughput capabilities of Cat 4, you might want to get a single-SIM 950 XL. If you get no where close to 150 Mbps, the 150 Mbps limit of the Cat 4 capabilities of your dual-SIM 950 XL is not an issue for you.

In the areas in and around Philadelphia, none of my speed tests on the AT&T cellular network get anywhere close to 50 Mbps. (I get faster when using WiFi, which shows that the CPU can handle faster speeds even if the cellular data network cannot.) Given this, I see no fundamental problem in having a Cat 4 device when it achieves the same throughput as a Cat 6 device. To be fair to Cat 6 devices, it's not the Cat 4 devices are the equal of Cat 6 devices, it's that overall mobile data network throughput is limited by the operator to speeds that are less than the maximum achievable by Cat 4.

I expect that carriers are not going to roll out Cat 6 in a way that permits individual users to get a throughput in excess of 150 Mbps. Cat 6 has real benefits, but they are primarily for the network operators who need to provide service to more and more customers who each have more demanding apps. Cat 6 gives the carriers additional network throughput without having to acquire new radio spectrum licenses from their national governments. The extra throughput will be used to add more clients, not to give existing clients more bandwidth.

XHotSniperX

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for all the responses!
I have contacted Microsoft support and they said that Switzerland is getting the DS version only. It is different in each country which one they get. Then he offered me to change the phone with the single SIM version and I agreed :)

I know, Cat 4 is more than enough but regarding the fact that I never use a second SIM and that in Switzerland LTE 6 is already active I really want the single SIM :)

By the way: I was able to look at the phone when I opened the box and it is soooo coool I am looking forward to use it when the change is complete.

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Portugal is also only getting Dual Sim verison of the 950/950XL which I will get because why not. Can stick my personal number/work number on the same phone, win win.
We get really bad 4G speeds anyway so Cat6 vs Cat4 won't make a dent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss