Charging Lumia in the car - why does it drain faster than it charges?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Charging Lumia in the car - still drains faster than it charges!

I've had my L920 for two years now. I still don't understand why using GPS in the car drains the battery faster than the charger can charge it.

I had been charging the phone using an AC inverter which allowed me to convert the 12v DC power to 230v AC. With that I connected my standard home charger to the inverter. This worked perfectly, it charged the phone quickly and I was able to use GPS on long journey without worrying about getting stranded with a flat battery and no GPS.

Recently the alternator in my car went bad and I replaced it. I decided it was time to stop using the AC inverter because going from DC to AC is very inefficient and I didn't want to put an excessive load on my new alternator.

I researched this heavily because I knew that all the chargers I'd tried in the past didn't cut it.

I bought an Aukey charger which has two 2.4a 5v USB outlets. (far greater than the AC charger). I also bought a PortaPow charging cable.

After using it for a few months, I've reached this conclusion:

The new set up works if brightness is set to low and 4G is disabled. If I start my journey with 100% battery, I will arrive at my destination with 100%; however, if I start a 2 hour journey with 50% battery, I won't have 100% when I arrive.

It charges faster with an AC charger which has a lower current output. Why?

I'm still having to carry the AC charger everywhere I go because charging in the car during my commute is still not viable unless I use the dirty inverter.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Most of the car USB chargers with 2+ amp outputs are designed for iPhones and will only end up charging Windows Phones (and Androids) at .5A which is not sufficient to keep up with GPS usage and charging.

I just replaced our car chargers with these when they were on sale for $8.99 and they work great with our Nokia 920's. They charge at about 1.3A according to my USB meter.

Amazon.com: USB Car Charger,Tronsmart Quick Charge 2.0 42W 3 Ports USB Rapid Car Charger for Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, Xperia Z5, Zenfone 2 and more (Includes a 20AWG 3.3ft USB Cable): Cell Phones & Accessories

I would think that any that advertise Qualcomm Quick Charge should work well though.

Scott

Erick Rmz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Can you let us know the details on the one you bought (manufacturer, model number etc)?

Scott

Sorry I saw this until now. Don't remember manufacturer but bought it in Bestbuy a year ago, I think. I'll try to remember tonight to check out manufacturer and model.

Tried at Bestbuy web and found this:
Belkin Belkin Dual Car Charger with F8J071bt04-BLK - Best Buy
or this:
Image Auto Adapter Multi IMG-CE0136-NB - Best Buy

Both should fits well.

Hope it helps,

cheers,

Last edited:

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I saw this until now. Don't remember manufacturer but bought it in Bestbuy a year ago, I think. I'll try to remember tonight to check out manufacturer and model.

Tried at Bestbuy web and found this:
Belkin Belkin Dual Car Charger with F8J071bt04-BLK - Best Buy
or this:
Image Auto Adapter Multi IMG-CE0136-NB - Best Buy

Both should fits well.

Hope it helps,

cheers,

The first one comes with an Apple Lightning cable and indicates that it's designed for Apple devices so probably will have the same limitations as most USB chargers with Windows Phones and limit charging to 500ma.

Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss