Unlocked 950 & T-Mobile WiFi calling

terryb99

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried the unlocked 950 from the Microsoft store with T-Mobile and their Wi-Fi calling?

Thanks

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried the unlocked 950 from the Microsoft store with T-Mobile and their Wi-Fi calling?

Thanks

Neither wifi calling nor VoLTE seem to work with the 950XL unlocked. I don't imagine the 950 unlocked would be any different.

hmmm

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
That's a huge bummer. It pretty much ruins my hopes of using Windows Phones... I need WiFi calling at work and am not willing to switch to AT&T. The Lumia 640 may be my first and last device if T-Mobile and Microsoft don't get their acts together. My Nexus 5X has WiFi calling and I didn't buy it through T-Mobile. Microsoft should build it into Windows like Google and Apple have done.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sadly it is a wait and see. As far as I know, it is supposed to be built in.

I can confirm that the Lumia 950 currently does not have WiFi calling on T-Mobile nor visual voicemail (which should also be built in).

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks

I doubt either is going to be supported on the unlocked. I know for ATT you need to have a phone that supports VoLTE and HD Calling which is not supported by ATT on the unlocked version. I opted in for the ATT 950 just to be sure that it had those capabilities when they release WIFI Calling on the 950.

I find it very unlikely either would support WIFI Calling on a handset they did not provide -- imagine the support costs with the multitude of unlocked handsets out there....JMO

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
That's a huge bummer. It pretty much ruins my hopes of using Windows Phones... I need WiFi calling at work and am not willing to switch to AT&T.

Same boat here. I work in an arena, which was once heavily sponsored by T-Mobile btw, but without T-Mobile coverage except on the court. Tired of telling people they have to switch to Whatsapp to get a hold of me when I'm working. Bought a cheap Lumia 530 but the pins for the sim card broke off after just the third time of me swapping it out. Didn't get the 640 because I thought the 950 that was on the horizon would be Wifi Calling capable... silly me.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a hardware issue. MS wouldn't make two different phones, it doesn't make financial sense. It must be software that ATT loads on the handset as part of their stock image.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's a hardware issue. MS wouldn't make two different phones, it doesn't make financial sense. It must be software that ATT loads on the handset as part of their stock image.

Just got done with a phone call with AT+T and Microsoft mobile...

WiFi calling NOT BEING ON 950's is MICROSOFTS choice and is being considered for the future

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got done with a phone call with AT+T and Microsoft mobile...

WiFi calling NOT BEING ON 950's is MICROSOFTS choice and is being considered for the future

You're probably right - however, it's likely a software issue and not a hardware issue. They'll release a firmware or software update to get it working.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
"probably right" lol.
here you go call 888-665-4228 and find out the "probability" of your prediction then.
I've already spent enough time with At&T + Microsoft on the phone today.

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried T-Mobile on a Single SIM unlocked Lumia 950? Not sure if this is a Dual SIM vs. Single SIM issue.

Does this feature work on other non-carrier Windows phones? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried T-Mobile on a Single SIM unlocked Lumia 950? Not sure if this is a Dual SIM vs. Single SIM issue.

Does this feature work on other non-carrier Windows phones? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

doesn't work with single-sim unlocked/unbranded 1020 or single sim unlocked/unbranded 830 (rm-985).

JONBR

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
What works "sort of" on your 950XL? Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile? If so, how were you able to even activate the feature? I have a 950XL with T-Mobile and have been frustrated to no end trying to get it to work and get support from either MS or TMO.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I think it partly T Mobile thing too, they might actually only allow T-Mobile branded phone using WiFi calling. Just like Lumia 640, the unlocked version won't work for Tmobile WiFi calling, but TMobile branded one do.

tweet2nowhere

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I just switched back to ATT because of the lack of support for Tmobiles VoLTE and WiFi calling. It is on Microsoft to pay T-Mobile to certify each individual device that Microsoft makes if MS wants their devices to use those features. It doesn't mean that the features don't work, but TMO has to allow the device to register for WiFi calling and VoLTE. VoLTE is needed if you want the building penetration benefits from band 12.
Eventually the thought is all service will be ip based, so when that day comes, it wont be an issue. Till then I need a Network that I don't have to compensate for. I was all in for the uncarrier, but they are just as friendly to BYOD as ATT. And ATT has better phones. And I found a company that resells ATT for business, so I signed up. Paying about the same after taxes are included for my 5 lines.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked 950 & T-Mobile WiFi calling

Works sort of on my 950xl. Just can't end a call

TMobile Wifi calling does not work on your 950XL in any way, shape, or form. You are confused.

(I'm discounting the possibility you have some insider firmware, hack, etc. installed on your device.)

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it partly T Mobile thing too, they might actually only allow T-Mobile branded phone using WiFi calling. Just like Lumia 640, the unlocked version won't work for Tmobile WiFi calling, but TMobile branded one do.

iPhones (all of which are unbranded) and recent Nexus devices support TMobile wifi calling.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
iPhones (all of which are unbranded) and recent Nexus devices support TMobile wifi calling.
Funny you mention that. As I am on Rogers, who also have WiFi calling. But it only support/ allowing it on iPhone, not any android phones. So I do think the carrier could disable WiFi calling to certain device but allowing that to other ones.

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Funny you mention that. As I am on Rogers, who also have WiFi calling. But it only support/ allowing it on iPhone, not any android phones. So I do think the carrier could disable WiFi calling to certain device but allowing that to other ones.

Are you sure because Nexus devices come unlocked (5x and 6P) and have it natively built in. I have a 6P and have T-Mobile and have visual voicemail AND T-Mobile WiFi Calling and its unlocked as stated straight from Google. I would expect they would also have WiFi calling if one of the newer Nexus had a Rogers Sim card. It's in the settings actually under Wireless and Networks and then More.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb