Bought a 950 in store today!! (canada)

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
After weeks of research and trying various phones including BlackBerry PRIV, finally decided on the lumia 950. Went to MS store today to see the demo and I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the phone an it's beautiful display. Tonight surprise the guy said it's available right now to buy. So ended up buying one
Sitting in the box still. Hav to go out tonight. Will set it up later and post my comments.

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since it seems that all Canadian pre-orders are delayed I was wondering if the Phone you got is made for the Canadian market? Meaning English-French packaging and manuals.

I can only think of that being the reason those devices are withheld, FCC etc. already approved them and since the 950XL is being shipped, doubt anything regarding charger is not good...

Except of course they are upgrading the devices for Canada with Gorilla Glas 4 instead of 3 that is sold in the united states :)

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Since it seems that all Canadian pre-orders are delayed I was wondering if the Phone you got is made for the Canadian market? Meaning English-French packaging and manuals.

I can only think of that being the reason those devices are withheld, FCC etc. already approved them and since the 950XL is being shipped, doubt anything regarding charger is not good...

Except of course they are upgrading the devices for Canada with Gorilla Glas 4 instead of 3 that is sold in the united states :)

What? Where did you hear that they are updating the Canadian 950 with gg4? That doesn't make sense, why would they even do that? There would be absolutely no benefit for MS to even think about doing this. Also gg3 is better for scratch resistance, gg4 is better for drop resistance, so again, no benefit to have the newer glass.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Not sure why then pre-orders are delayed. The store I went to has plenty of stocks - both 950 and xl. Since I bought it from ms store in assume it's made for canada

Erwan James

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I also managed to purchase one in store today, to my surprise without asking for it I got a 950 dual sim :) At the Eaton Center in Toronto btw

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
After weeks of research and trying various phones including BlackBerry PRIV, finally decided on the lumia 950. Went to MS store today to see the demo and I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the phone an it's beautiful display. Tonight surprise the guy said it's available right now to buy. So ended up buying one
Sitting in the box still. Hav to go out tonight. Will set it up later and post my comments.

Curious? Why did you pick 950 over the BB Priv? I have a BB Z30 AND I own a Nokia 925 WP. I am trying to decide should I get Priv or 950?

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Curious? Why did you pick 950 over the BB Priv? I have a BB Z30 AND I own a Nokia 925 WP. I am trying to decide should I get Priv or 950?

I know you weren't talking to me, but I'll chime in because I was debating between these phones too.
I chose the 950 over the priv because initial reports suggested poor quality control and I've heard the camera isn't that good. Blackberry mobile has been dead/dying for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on them (I'm an HTC fan so I know a little about drowning on a sinking ship). If any BB device were to persuade me into buying, it would have been the priv. Something about a slider in this day and age is intriguing to me, call me old fashioned. I figured going with MS seemed like a better bet.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

Yes. I still think bb10 is the best mobile OS . But I couldn't stand android. Being a phone addict I wanted something new so I picked 950. Despite all the negative reviews im liking the phone so far. Sone teetujnf issues such as battery drain etz. But im sure things will get better after a week or so.

Loving the display and my main requirements work fine - email, sms and some apps. No complaints so far. Loving the camera.

Aske me if you need by further info.

Last edited:

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I still think bb10 is the best mobile OS . But I couldn't stand android. Being a phone addict I wanted something new so I picked 950. Despite all the negative reviews im liking the phone so far. Sone teetujnf issues such as battery drain etz. But im sure things will get better after a week or so.

Loving the display and my main requirements work fine - email, sms and some apps. No complaints so far. Loving the camera.

I have had mine for a week and the battery issue has e evened out.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I know you weren't talking to me, but I'll chime in because I was debating between these phones too.

I chose the 950 over the priv because initial reports suggested poor quality control and I've heard the camera isn't that good. Blackberry mobile has been dead/dying for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on them (I'm an HTC fan so I know a little about drowning on a sinking ship). If any BB device were to persuade me into buying, it would have been the priv. Something about a slider in this day and age is intriguing to me, call me old fashioned. I figured going with MS seemed like a better bet.

Thanks for your response...I am leaning towards the 950 for the reasons you pointed out. Also, that slider mechanism is having problems with some users and it is something else that can break overtime. Also, I have a Microsoft computer and Xbox One, so I would be back in the MS Ecosystem...plus it is cheaper than Priv.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Agree with you 100%. I have a BB Z30 WITH BB10 and it is a great OS. I have a WP 925 now and have always loved the WP. The 925 stared freezing up on on me and I grabbed a BB. I do not care for millions of apps hence the reason I have been on WP and BB and not Android. I am leaning towards the 950 because pound for pound it out spec the Priv and it is cheaper....

SK_Johnson

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Someone above said that Toronto Eaton's has the 950, but does anyone know if SQ1 or Yorkdale do? It's a reasonably long trek from Hamilton, so I don't want to make the drive if it's going to be for nothing. My 920 is extremely flaky at the moment, so I'd like to replace it.

Also, do any of these stores have display models out?

Cheers.

SK_Johnson

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So I got the last 950 from Eaton Centre location, yesterday morning. Someone canceled a preorder, as they thought they had reserved the XL and I happened to walk in at the right time.

Just to answer my own question, they do have display models out and also a nice Continuum setup, to show it off.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why then pre-orders are delayed. The store I went to has plenty of stocks - both 950 and xl. Since I bought it from ms store in assume it's made for canada

The actual stores are Microsoft, the online store is not. Maybe that explains the delivery problem for online orders? Online store routinely screws orders up, can't wait for a store in Montreal

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Which carrier are you on? I'm worried Rogers will mess up my 950 experience

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Koodo - not sure why a carrier would mess up anything on a phone

Verizon in the US, L950 and XL don't work, you can see the details on some other chats. Also heard some had to do a hard reset before their carrier would recognize. Just curious. No problems on Koodo, I assume?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro